Sign in to follow this  
Evros

Nvidia Image Sharpening

9 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I still don't entirely understand, do you have a screenshot of this "upscaling" option in the nVIDIA Control Panel?

Hi Chris, i will provide to you a screenshot of the controlpanel later in the evening because i am at work actually.

11 minutes ago, AnkH said:

And even more, I am lost about you explanation some posts before. Changing the resolution should affect even for P3Dv4.5 mainly the load on the GPU, not the CPU. However I understand that the upscaling will be performed entirely by the GPU. But it is still somehow irritating that you see a benefit from reducing the sim resolution from FullHD to 1024x768 on a 9900K with 5GHz.

I mean that it´s not the case, that resolution settings are just something compareable to the focus in a camera rather than to the sensor of the camera. You simply can´t have a resolution of 24 Megapixel on a digital picture if the sensor of the camera has just not physicaly that many single pixelsensors.  If you want the get a what ever screen resolution, the color and brightness data for each single pixel for each single frame needs to be generated by the Applikation which is compareable to the sensorcapability of the cam. This is something that makes digital imageprocessing difficult on a PC, because you have to be aware as a photprapher, that you can´t see the true resolution of the RAW picture if your screen can´t provide the resolution of the picture. That would mean you need a native (real physical pixel on the panel) screenresolution of something by 6875 x 4650 to show a 24 Megapixelshot 1:1 on the screen. All you will seen is an estimated guess downscaled to the resolution you can see, which looks even nice an sharp of course.

Now back to P3D, if the resolution is set to 1024 x 768 this would mean, that the data for 786.432 single pixel needs to be processed by GPU and CPU. As higher the resolution is set as more pixel data needs to be provided by the CPU/GPU. Just like as more Megapixel the sensor of cam can provide as more it will cost. Many modern render engines are optimized today for taking advantage from actual processing architecture like CUDA etc. But this is not the case for the render engine of P3D. This ends up, that the main portion of the render computations in P3D is still done by the CPU because the engine used by P3D has just not the ability get usage of the whole render abilities of the GPU.

With the upscaling from NVidia you may can let P3D´s internal render engine compute and provide only the pixel data needed at a lower resolution and upscale it at the postprocessing done by the GPU. So you drive down the CPU work a little and demand more from the GPU and this could increase the render performance of P3D.  

• Like 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Vor 4 Stunden sagte BerndB:

Haben Sie versucht: Wenn Sie P3D vom Fenstermodus in den Vollbildmodus schalten und danach die Upscaling-Einstellungen verlieren, öffnen Sie die NVidia-Einstellungen erneut und wenden Sie die Upscaling-Einstellungen erneut an, während Sie sich im Vollbildmodus befinden. Der Treiber sollte dies sofort korrigieren.

Thanks, I'll try

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

I still don't entirely understand, do you have a screenshot of this "upscaling" option in the nVIDIA Control Panel?

Hi Chris, in the german release of the driver the setting is at "Anzeige\Destop-Größe und Position apassen" Dort Skalierung Vollbild mit GPU und die gwünschte Auflösung.

Leider kann ich keine Bilder posten.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

20 hours ago, holliwutt said:

Yes, it looks good, but only in windowed mode.
When I switch to full screen to enable G-Sync I only see the lower resolution.

Prost

Same here, GPU scaling doesn't works in fullscreen

6 hours ago, BerndB said:

Have you tried the following: When you switch on P3D from windowed mode into Fullscreen mode, and after this the upscaling get lost, reopen the NVidia settings and apply the upscaling settings again while you are in Fullscreen and instantly the driver should get it right.

I tried it , but doesn't works 🙁

How should I get to the driver setting when I'm in full screen mode?

32 minutes ago, holliwutt said:

How should I get to the driver setting when I'm in full screen mode?

with the windows-key on your Keyboard than it Shows up the taskbar where you can find the NVidia Symbol on the Right taskbar where the apps are listed that are active

Bernd

Ah, that's great. I am also very picky, but that looks very good, see no difference to the "original"

For those who are interested, i have uploaded two Videos on YouTube as quick and dirty demo how P3D look like with upscaleing and sharpening. Have in mind, that the Resolution i´ve set in P3D is 1024 x 765. The Image is upscaled by the NVidia Driver to Full HD.

Bernd

On 11/2/2019 at 1:29 AM, Evros said:

So the subject title was released with latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia. I enabled it for P3D 4.5H2 with the default setting to start with, which are Sharpen: 0.50 and Ignore Film Grain: 0.17, and I have to say the I like what I see. At the departure airport I saw a tiny bit of aliasing on very thin surfaces like GSX jetway handles(subject of 'Sharpen' value)), but overall it looks great. Looking down at the terrain from FL340 is noticably improved and looks a lot sharper. I will play around with the values and see if I can find a sweet spot that suits me better, but even at default settings, I find it very nice. Can't observe any hardware impact from using this feature.

Just wanted to get some thoughts of people who have also tried it out and if maybe you also have your favorite setting value to share.

Official info and more on it here.

Evros, just want to thank you that you bought up this Information. 

Bernd

15 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Evros, just want to thank you that you bought up this Information. 

You are most welcome. Always glad to help out.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

13 hours ago, AnkH said:

And even more, I am lost about you explanation some posts before. Changing the resolution should affect even for P3Dv4.5 mainly the load on the GPU, not the CPU. However I understand that the upscaling will be performed entirely by the GPU. But it is still somehow irritating that you see a benefit from reducing the sim resolution from FullHD to 1024x768 on a 9900K with 5GHz.

It is just simply against all my understanding of how an engine works. Or do you have any explanation what exactly needs more CPU power when using FullHD versus 1024x768? I mean, the content of the image is exactly the same, no? Only the resolution is different, means all those things the CPU is calculating and sending to the GPU remain the same.

The ONLY thing I could think of is that with a reduced resolution, some things do not get calculated anymore at all (e.g. autogen in the distance etc.) and this results in a lower CPU load. But those things will then be "lost", even if you upscale the finally rendered image by the GPU.

I will certainly try this as soon as I know where to find this option in the nVIDIA Control Panel. But I doubt that it will convince me, I am really sensitive regarding image quality (e.g. it was really hard for me to accept that my rig can not sustain 4xSSAA in heavy bad weather conditions and night time with DL, so I had to go down to 8xMSAA). I mean, many repaints of AI planes (especially when stripes are used) look just shimmery and bad on a certain distance with 8xMSAA and 1440p. How the heck should those textures look equally good when rendered in 1024x768 and then upscaled? It is basically impossible, otherwise you would have the holy grail in your hands here...

I’m in the same boat with AA with a 4k 

8xMSAA 

i9 9900k and a 1080ti

shimmering still word not allowed me off.Lol

even  thou it’s minimal

I found this to be very noticeable and quite powerful.  I tried the default 0.50/0.17 and it was too sharp with numerous shimmers, and didn't look good at all in my opinion.  Dialed back down to 0.25/0.17 and the effect is quite pleasant and realistic.  Nice find!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, medx421 said:

I found this to be very noticeable and quite powerful.  I tried the default 0.50/0.17 and it was too sharp with numerous shimmers, and didn't look good at all in my opinion.  Dialed back down to 0.25/0.17 and the effect is quite pleasant and realistic.  Nice find!

I don’t know but are values lower than default making it not less sharp than before ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

15 hours ago, BerndB said:

With the upscaling from NVidia you may can let P3D´s internal render engine compute and provide only the pixel data needed at a lower resolution and upscale it at the postprocessing done by the GPU. So you drive down the CPU work a little and demand more from the GPU and this could increase the render performance of P3D.  

Honestly, I can still not believe that this makes a hell lot of a difference for a modern 5GHz CPU. Then, as I said, I know that the nVIDIA upscaling is pretty powerful, but it can not upscale things that are simply missing. Means: if the lower resolution results in things simply not being rendered (autogen etc. in the far distance for example due to the cutoff regarding pixels), the upscaling won't bring this back as the GPU simply does not "know" that it exists. There is even a tweak to gain some FPS by increasing the pixel cutoff (SmallPartRejectRadius), resulting in things not being rendered anymore if a certain pixel size is not reached. Put this on "4" and every object that does not reach 4 pixels in size will not be rendered anymore. THIS also reduces the load and obviously, a very low resolution basically just does the same. While an object might still be 5 pixels in size on my 1440p monitor and thus calculated, it might be just 2 pixels in size on a lower resolution and not calculated anymore. BUT, if not calculated, no upscaler will bring it back.

Means: I am almost 100% sure that an image rendered at 1024x768 and upscaled to FullHD and beyond simply lacks details and this lack of detail is what provides you some extra performance. And, I repeat myself, the lack of details will never be reverted by any upscaler...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS