Sign in to follow this  
btacon

HyperThreading - My Take

17 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Mich you can leave the WIN10 resolution as it is at 4K. This is set in the NVidia control panel at "Display/Change resolution" and should be already set at 4K if that´s the screen resolution your monitor can provide.

You apply the sharpening in the Nvidia controlpanel on the "Program Settings" tab for P3D only and not in the "Global settings". Hit there the ticbox for GPU-Scaling if you want to upscale the image of P3D aswell. What this upscaling does is simply upscaling any resolution set in your application like P3D automatic to the resolution you have set for your screen in the "Display/Change resolution" setting. 

I. ex. change the resolution, in P3D itself via "Options\Graphic\" to what will work for you, let´s say 1024 x 768 or 1920x1080 (2K). If the General display resolution is set to 3840 x 2160 wich is 4K, the GPU then automaticly upscales the P3D image to that resolution. That´s cool, i think.😀

Don´t forget to clear the shader cache in P3D allways if you change a setting in P3D which effects graphical settings.

Thank you , but if i choose "not to" upscale what happens then ? Right now i have set 1920x1080 in P3D but VRAM amount is still the same.

Thanks

Michael Moe (windowed mode in P3D) 

Ps ! i think its only in "full mode" its working . VRAM just dropped 3GB (seems like windows mode is directly related to your desktop resolution)

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

2 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Thank you , but if i choose "not to" upscale what happens then ? Right now i have set 1920x1080 in P3D but VRAM amount is still the same.

Thanks

Michael Moe (windowed mode in P3D)

In this case simply no upscaling take place. So you will see your P3D image at a resolution of 1920x1080. Once you terminate P3D in WIN10 you still have your 4K if this is set for the screen. But image sharpening is still taking place in P3D just without upscaling.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

6 hours ago, BerndB said:

The good news is, that there are even so many other up-to-date, expensive and so called professional applications exist which should have huge benefit from HT but in fact they have not. Just because their developers don´t know or understand how HT needs to be implemented in the correct way, or they are just too lazy to mind about it because their product just sells even without real HT ability.

And the customer can´t really miss something he never had, right?!😉

The CPU handles everything in regards to what it delegates to its virtual cores, but there are just some really old apps such as FSX (and thus P3D) that we still use which were coded in a time where single core CPUs existed. Either redo everything from scratch or it'll be the same forever.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I've been testing my current system (i7 4790k for now) with HT on/off and I'm getting about an extra 10 FPS in P3D v4.5 with HT off. On a side note ( I know off topic, I'm also getting about an 25 extra FPS from 130 to about 155 FPS improvement in PUBG)

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

The CPU handles everything in regards to what it delegates to its virtual cores, but there are just some really old apps such as FSX (and thus P3D) that we still use which were coded in a time where single core CPUs existed. Either redo everything from scratch or it'll be the same forever.

It will be interesting how MSFS copes with multicore and Hyperthreading?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised by the number and varied kinds of responses, and thanks to all for making this a fun and positive topic.  Useful too because I believe the jury seems to be in, and the verdict appears to be, Hyper-Threading OFF

It turns off/on with a single reboot.  No software is modified.  It cant harm your computer one iota and as I already said, it goes back to ON with just a reboot and a couple of mouse clicks.

Also, I'm not suggesting the thread stop, just weighing in with a recap and a reflection.  Well, a reflection with a verdict actually. 🙂

-Braun

Edited by btacon