Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Black Friday Deal Brings Oculus Rift S to $350

https://www.roadtovr.com/black-friday-sale-oculus-rift-s-2019/

Oculus Rift S, the company’s mid-generation hardware update to the Rift platform, only just launched a few months ago, but it’s already getting its first discount this upcoming Black Friday.

Lenovo has published its 2019 Black Friday ad, and to our surprise it’s knocking $50 off the $400 Oculus Rift S.

It’s very likely that we’ll also see the same deal replicated elsewhere, including Oculus’ own online store and a host of official retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, NewEgg, and more.

Launched back in May, Rift S is more of a remaster than a sequel to the original 2016-era Oculus Rift. With its inside-out tracking (no external tracking sensors needed), halo-style headstrap, and higher resolution LCD panel, it makes for a pretty complete package for VR newcomers—provided you have a PC capable of playing VR games.

Before you go counting your pennies though, make sure to check out our deep dive review on Rift S to see if it’s right for you, or if you’d be better off springing for the best-in-class PC VR headset currently available, Valve Index.

Not into PC gaming? Well, we haven’t heard about any sales on Oculus Quest just yet, the company’s high-end standalone VR headset starting at $400, but Oculus hasn’t released word on its Black Friday plans, so we’ll be sure to update you when they do.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It will be interesting to see how well VR sells this Christmas season.

I can totally see average Joe consumer being totally confused and frustrated with the huge disparity amongst all the current VR offerings.

1 hour ago, VeryBumpy said:

It will be interesting to see how well VR sells this Christmas season.

I can totally see average Joe consumer being totally confused and frustrated with the huge disparity amongst all the current VR offerings.

The one good thing is that you can buy just about any of the HMD's and if they aren't what you want you can return them for a full refund.

NAX669.png

It also speaks volume about the need for VR to go wireless to be truely successful. Not something that is terribly important to simmers or others who primarily use it for seated experiences, but in general. The second First Person Tennis hits the Quest, I'm getting one. 

I just got a Rift S a couple of weeks ago. Previously had the Rift CV1 that I sold after 3 months with it.

Valve Index may have been on my radar except for two things:

1) Price compared to Rift S

2) This is a big one......for some ridiculous reason, Valve have determined that they cant sell the Index in Canada.

Overall, I like the Rift S a lot. The clarity in DCS (my main sim these days) is vastly improved over the CV1 and its fairly easy on the hardware requirements. In a sale I would say its a bargain on an already great price.