Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Check this out, PMDG to MSFS!

1 minute ago, Greazer said:

FS 2020 is the best thing to happen to XP. They are now Forced to upgrade the environment and scenery. The dev roadmap will change completely.

Totally agree...nothing makes you move quite like someone else kicking your behind..

1 minute ago, Spitty said:

Don’t worry, I don’t buy ANY orbx products. A little overrated and very overpriced in my opinion. 

I appreciate what they do but I mostly agree with your sentiment here.

So often over the years I would look at all the screenshots and videos and be in awe, and then I would buy the add on and install it and it just never quite looked as good as it did in their shots for some reason. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Greazer said:

The dev roadmap will change completely.

I don't agree. Austin and Ben, great folks though they are, and quite talented, have never really shown to react much to the market, and if they do, it's really at their own pace.

There is extremely little that a dev of their size can do to match the scenery technology of MSFS. They just don't sell enough copies to justify the ongoing server expense, and I have no idea how they would get the data to do so either. On the plus side, they have little overhead being a small dev so they don't really need to sell that many copies to keep continuing what they already do and iterating on the platform they have.

I think my biggest concern (and I happen to like XP, I don't want to see anyone out of a job) is that the largest selling point for so long was the flight model accuracy. I added XP to my sim collection specifically because I was tired of flying on rails with no air around me to speak of; having flown some GA that's just not how those planes act at all, and XP's blade element modeling is clearly a more reactive model. As time has gone on, they've added other features that have surpassed the FSX derived products in some ways, but certainly not in any kind of generational or revolutionary way. If reports are true, and we'll see with the upcoming Aero vid, XP's biggest selling point will become somewhat moot.

-Matt N

• Like 1

I believe that the devs want this to be an almost complete sim with little left to be desired in terms of scenery, weather etc. Most of you are forgetting that they are also targeting Xbox crowd here. I dont know how much experience you people have with the xbox community but I being a long time user since x360, can very much assure you that people HATE micro transactions and purchasing additional stuff just to enhance the feel of the game. They usually want a complete package out of the 60 bucks they paid. Xbox is not an expensive hobby when you compare it to PC gaming. People over at the xbox community dont go out of their way to spend hundreds of dollars on a game. This is the exact reason why I believe they want MSFS to be a complete package. To be accessible to Xbox crowd. And to be honest I am very happy with that. No one has to feel left out just because they cant spend hundreds of dollars on a flight sim.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

9 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

I think my biggest concern (and I happen to like XP, I don't want to see anyone out of a job) is that the largest selling point for so long was the flight model accuracy

Well we know it wasn’t the ground handling model

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, irrics said:

Well we know it wasn’t the ground handling model

Fair, and that continues to be quite subpar. And the amount of rudder you need to take off is pretty ludicrous at times. That being said, one spends much more time in the air than on the ground.

-Matt N

3 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

Fair, and that continues to be quite subpar. And the amount of rudder you need to take off is pretty ludicrous at times. That being said, one spends much more time in the air than on the ground.

-Matt N

The flight is not over until you’re parked!  

...It’s also over if you crash adjacent to the runway after touchdown due to the horrific ground handling model

lol

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

Flawed logic. PMDG has never seriously developed for XP (except for a very niche, single product) and has hence had zero impact on XP sales. So I don't see how PMDG continuing to do what they did (i.e. do not develop for XP) would impact XP.

valid point, so let's say that is my personal conclusion since I once bought XP but seldem used it (primarily due to the lack of a decent PMDG iron), call me a PMDG word not allowed but I am more than happy if they really jumped on MSFS20. As mentioned elsewhere here by me, MSFS20 + PMDG = count me in. Only caveat: I may change my mind if MS came up with a subscription model, I fly too irregularly due to business/family/time constraints that I would hate to spend a monthly fee e.g. without having actually flown

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

17 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

I had my first look ever today at the Xbox shop  and several of the game I looked into, had  DLC to be purchased. Maybe the game pass covers them I don't know, I didn't see anything I'd like to buy.  And I am not at all convinced that MS targets the Xbox plateform market for the sim. Actually I remember that Spencer (I believe) said that the PC market was a priority. Which makes sense at several levels.

Another thing, I don't see what is wrong with simmers having a sim sized to their financial means...  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

47 minutes ago, domkle said:

And I am not at all convinced that MS targets the Xbox plateform market for the sim. Actually I remember that Spencer (I believe) said that the PC market was a priority. Which makes sense at several levels.

Another thing, I don't see what is wrong with simmers having a sim sized to their financial means...  

Firstly I said microsoft is 'also' targeting the xbox crowd and not just the xbox crowd. Emphasis on the word 'also'

Secondly I never said there is something wrong in spending hundreds on a flight sim. You are very much free to do so. What I said was people who arent willing or who dont have the financial capability of spending so much on a flight sim shouldn't have to feel left out because of it.

Hope this clears it for you.

Edited by Baber20

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Just installed the new PMDG 737 and gave it a go with Oculus Rift S. Have to say. the virtual cockpit is very good. Much better than before.

As always though, I now feel sick and have VR goggle face so I look (even more) like a complete tool.

19 hours ago, cepact said:

So I was right about my predictions that we will have a PMDG aircraft on MSFS release, nobody believed me.

Is there something in the PMDG announcement that states the release of the plane will coincide with the release of MSFS? I'm not seeing it. It appears to me that they're changing tack and will have the 737 available at some time on the MSFS platform (and not at all on P3D), that time to be later announced and/or foreshadowed with the release of a development roadmap.

It's possible I'm missing something there.

-Matt N

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1