Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Check this out, PMDG to MSFS!

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

Flawed logic. PMDG has never seriously developed for XP (except for a very niche, single product) and has hence had zero impact on XP sales. So I don't see how PMDG continuing to do what they did (i.e. do not develop for XP) would impact XP.

Agreed, PMDG announcing that they're no longer going to develop for XP is the equivalent (If anyone follows the NFL) of the Broncos former QB announcing his retirement a few weeks ago. Basically, "Oh wow, you were still doing the football thing?" I honestly thought they threw in the towel a few years ago. So this announcement really changes nothing for me

Anyway, to the point of the thread, this is good news from my point of view. This is the next generation of flight sim, let's get a clean slate, let's move on. It may take some time, but we really don't need any ported over garbage. XP is my preferred sim and I welcome the pure focus on the new sim as I have dealt with PMDG's ported over garbage already and would prefer clean slate models going forward. 

Be positive :)

XP11 & MSFS2020

AMD 5900X EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 64GB GSKILL Trident Z 3600mhz

To my knowledge, no one has said that the 737 will be available immediately at release. 

But they do seem to be moving quickly and I suspect we'll see it (and probably other add-ons) within a short time after development - not the 2-3 years that some have been predicting.

As I suspected, it's in everyone's business interests to populate MSFS with quality aircraft, and the fact that there's not yet a published SDK (that we know) doesn't seem to be the constraint that has been suggested.

I'm really happy to see PMDG getting out of the gate so fast.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

on the first point, I well understood what you meant. Your argument seemed to me that Asobo wanted a complete sim to cater the Xbox market. I do not think it is the case.

On the second point, well, maybe for another day...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Alan_A said:

Looking forward to A2A and Milviz also telling us about them

EDIT About PMDG, this announcement is IMO mostly tactical. They  certainly face a difficult slump in the market  and they need cash. To sell the shiny  new product, the only way is to discount it against a FS20 purchase. They get today the cash they wouldn't get otherwise. Tomorrow is another day .Fair  enough. 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

19 minutes ago, domkle said:

About PMDG, this announcement is IMO mostly tactical.

It's a smart business move.  A number of us have talked about how we're reluctant to invest in P3D products with the new sim coming down the pike, and suggested that it'd be good to know what the path forward looks like.  PMDG is the first developer to show us that.  Other developers will have to make their own decisions.  I'm not sure all of them will be able to offer a credit against a future purchase - you'd have to be able to live with less future revenue in order to make a sale today.  But in the abstract, it's worth considering.  I probably would have invested in the NGu in any case just to be able to fly it for a year or so, but for me that'd be a rare exception to my current slowdown in P3D investments - as a rule I'm no longer willing to make expensive purchases for a sim that has a finite lifespan.  The MSFS credit clinched it for me, and I'm willing to bet that PMDG's sales went way up as a result of the future MSFS discount.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

I see we are both old cynics (not really but some may think that :wink:).

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

11 hours ago, Alan_A said:

It's a smart business move.  A number of us have talked about how we're reluctant to invest in P3D products with the new sim coming down the pike, and suggested that it'd be good to know what the path forward looks like.  PMDG is the first developer to show us that.  Other developers will have to make their own decisions.  I'm not sure all of them will be able to offer a credit against a future purchase - you'd have to be able to live with less future revenue in order to make a sale today.  But in the abstract, it's worth considering.  I probably would have invested in the NGu in any case just to be able to fly it for a year or so, but for me that'd be a rare exception to my current slowdown in P3D investments - as a rule I'm no longer willing to make expensive purchases for a sim that has a finite lifespan.  The MSFS credit clinched it for me, and I'm willing to bet that PMDG's sales went way up as a result of the future MSFS discount.

Well count me in as one of those that actually bought, because of that credit. I would have been very reluctant otherwise. And am glad I did so as it brought on final life-line to P3D to let it go out with a bang. But without that credit I would probably have passed and waited for the NG3. 

Edited by OSJJ1985
  • Like 1

It is interesting that PMDG have decided to concentrate on the new MFS in the future. I am not sure how much inside knowledge they have of P3D development, but does this give an indication that they do not consider P3D v5 to be worth their investment? In other words, not up to the same level of quality as the new MFS?

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

It is interesting that PMDG have decided to concentrate on the new MFS in the future. I am not sure how much inside knowledge they have of P3D development, but does this give an indication that they do not consider P3D v5 to be worth their investment? In other words, not up to the same level of quality as the new MFS?

......or maybe they think/know that there will be no V5 "Academic" for example...? I have a bad feeling about this...

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

14 hours ago, Channing613 said:

Agreed, PMDG announcing that they're no longer going to develop for XP is the equivalent (If anyone follows the NFL) of the Broncos former QB announcing his retirement a few weeks ago. Basically, "Oh wow, you were still doing the football thing?" I honestly thought they threw in the towel a few years ago. So this announcement really changes nothing for me

Anyway, to the point of the thread, this is good news from my point of view. This is the next generation of flight sim, let's get a clean slate, let's move on. It may take some time, but we really don't need any ported over garbage. XP is my preferred sim and I welcome the pure focus on the new sim as I have dealt with PMDG's ported over garbage already and would prefer clean slate models going forward. 

Be positive 🙂

Do you mean Matthew luck’s retirement? (From the colts)

20 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

......or maybe they think/know that there will be no V5 "Academic" for example...? I have a bad feeling about this...

Richard.

Whats the difference if the next gen sim is named MSFS or P3Dv5. I don't want another beating at the same dead horse. 

42 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

Richard.

And you are right, Richard, but one must also consider the real possibility that the new sim price, all in all (price, subscription, game pass whatever...)l, be around the P3D professional price today. No tongue in cheek here.

Dominique

20 minutes ago, domkle said:

And you are right, Richard, but one must also consider the real possibility that the new sim price, all in all (price, subscription, game pass whatever...)l, be around the P3D professional price today. No tongue in cheek here.

It's possible indeed, I hadn't thought of that. In any case one thing is certain, PMDG will no longer develop on P3D, it is a fact, on their part it is not nothing...

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

12 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

It's possible indeed, I hadn't thought of that. In any case one thing is certain, PMDG will no longer develop on P3D, it is a fact, on their part it is not nothing...

Richard

Randazzo also says that he does a twice a year strategic review. Just sayin'... May I add that he is in business discussions with MS and that, as he was not initially specially enthusiastic when FS20 was announced (to say the least), he has to put a big smile on his face right now. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

5 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Do you mean Matthew luck’s retirement? (From the colts)

Nah Brock Osweiller or whatever his name is, he was on the Broncos when Manning was there then went to the Texans and just announced his retirement a few weeks ago 

But, thank you for proving my point from a XP user's point of view. The fact that you don't remember him is essentially how we feel about PMDG announcing that they're no longer developing for XP. They gave us a half-a(you know what) ported plane that no one wanted and was honestly a piece of garbage compared to their standard on FSX/P3D, which I used to use. Most of us assumed they had stopped developing already.as that was a few years ago at this point. So that was the point of my comparison

That being said, I also wanted to express my support for their decision to focus on the new sim going forward and I hope more planes are developed from the ground up, as RR said MSFS is a new platform. They're great at many things, but those things are usually the ones where their main focus is. As XP wasn't their main focus and that was reflected on the plane they gave to us on XP. It was their secondary focused and it was clearly a second rate product compared to what I've used in P3D. So, I'm fully supportive of their decision to focus on MSFS

XP11 & MSFS2020

AMD 5900X EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 64GB GSKILL Trident Z 3600mhz