Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

November 7th - Development/Insider Update

15 minutes ago, Keyholebud said:

With that said, about the trees. Being procedurally generated, They said a couple trillion on the earth. Couldn't they just adjust the algorithm a little to get us a bare winter and fall trees where necessary. With a spattering of green Pines. Just adjust per north, south hemisphere, keep the jungle trees green, then wola!! you got seasonal foliage.

Based on what I know in terms of tech, I am pretty sure yes they can. Procedural areas are kind of easy to customize. The challenge is when it comes to the Photogrammetry areas. 

For a living I work in an tech company and I am a User Interface and Usability designer and I am part of the developement process of software. We set priorities based on the company's business visions and therefore our software features are processed and developed based on this priority and not on their complexity level.

I suppse Asobo/MS use the same process...

But then, perhaps (and I underline perhaps), the challenge of making the Photogrammetry areas having seasons dynamically, make them probably put the seasons feature on the side the time they find a solution. I don't think it's intereting to have seasons working for the procedural regions whereas the Photogrammetry areas are unaffected by the surrounding seasonal variations...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

2 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

Based on what I know in terms of tech, I am pretty sure yes they can. Procedural areas are kind of easy to customize. The challenge is when it comes to the Photogrammetry areas. 

For a living I work in an tech company and I am a User Interface and Usability designer and I am part of the developement process of software. We set priorities based on the company's business visions and therefore our software features are processed and developed based on this priority and not on their complexity level.

I suppse Asobo/MS use the same process...

But then, perhaps (and I underline perhaps), the challenge of making the Photogrammetry areas having seasons dynamically, make them probably put the seasons feature on the side the time they find a solution. I don't think it's intereting to have seasons working for the procedural regions whereas the Photogrammetry areas are unaffected by the surrounging seasonal variations...

Yes I agree with you. It seems that they got a firm base with the tech. Just some simple variables to expand on what they got established. I mean Asobo  gave us a tree count for the whole earth. That's freaking mind boggling.

4 hours ago, topatov said:

i'm sorry about your coffee if you come in france i will offer you one with pleasure but seriously look at this screen i prefer this 15 years old fs9 with this 10€ add on ground environement x 

The FS/ESP addon you mention uses a similar technique of proceduraly generating large areas...

But this screenshot is not representative at all of how the whole thing looks in the ESP engine... Because the result looks more like this`:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gexeurope

Comparing ESP rendering to the new MSFS engine is like comparing a 90s car to an actual one in terms of tech. Again, the screenshots on the addon page of Flight1 are a reminder of what FS/ESP looked like...

• Like 1

The screenshot that has been heavily discussed is of my hometown Gothenburg in Sweden. Seeing it on the insider page immediately put a smile of my face because I could instantly recognize it. The issue with MS posting 4K images of of the sim at this stage is that some will zoom in beyond recognition and judge the hell out of it. What a shame. You have to keep the following in mind: 

1. This is pre-alpha or at best alpha 1!

2. The screenshot is taken several thousand feet in the air. The crops I’ve seen in this thread would never be seen in the actual sim!

3. It’s default scenery! 

4. It’s procedural.

Given all of this the screenshot is actually amazing. The fact that azure was able to render the buildings so accurately in shape in color is beyond anything I have ever seen in x-plane, P3D, FSX or FS9. This is instantly recognizable as Gothenburg. That is more than can be said from any other sim. The best part about all of this is that it can only get better from here. Below is a comparison between the sim’s procedural effort compared to Apple’s photogrammetry data. Just look at those red and green inner-city rooftops! I even see my own apartment building without having to estimate or guess. 

8-D97-C3-B8-5-C58-4-C12-B1-AE-0-F01-A651

Edited by Feffi2015
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, topatov said:

i'm sorry about your coffee

No worries - I'm on to my 3rd cup at this time. 😛

23 hours ago, Feffi2015 said:

The screenshot that has been heavily discussed is of my hometown Gothenburg in Sweden.

Well said... And let's not forget about the good old LOD factor vs distance...

Edited by n4gix
Removed repetitive picture in quote

2 hours ago, topatov said:

i'm sorry about your coffee if you come in france i will offer you one with pleasure but seriously look at this screen i prefer this 15 years old fs9 with this 10€ add on ground environement x 

MSFS has no chance against this:

gexeurope9.jpg

In all seriousness though, that screenshot you posted isn't really useful as a comparative.  For one, the MSFS shot is higher altitude, which affects the level of detail of the terrain on the ground, since it needs to show far more of it.  For all we know, perhaps more detail resolves into the frame as you are closer to the buildings - you've blown up a tiny part of a massive scene.

Your chosen screenshot is also completely devoid of complex lighting, atmospheric scattering, and a host of other rendering techniques being used in MSFS that make images look far more realistic.  It just looks like a flat, sharp satellite image.

Edited by Scottoest
  • Like 2

Seriously, am I the only one stunned by the quality of Courchevel? This sets a new standard for airports.

How don't we know more about airports? If I am not mistaken, none of the youtubers mentionned them, their quality or their accuracy.

I find it pretty strange

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Seriously, am I the only one stunned by the quality of Courchevel? This sets a new standard for airports.

How don't we know more about airports? If I am not mistaken, none of the youtubers mentionned them, their quality or their accuracy.

I find it pretty strange

The YouTuber Squirrel touches on the quality of Earls Colne airfield and Southend being very good. Here’s the link... around the 15min mark.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I find it pretty strange

I don't think many are done. Several of the youtubers did mention they were buggy and missing detail when they left the "recommended" areas. I'm sure this varies greatly, with some being better than others before they make their passes to hand fix issues.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, irrics said:

🤣 have fun guys ! But please if you are recruited to alpha keep your critical sense ... and not distorted view 

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

58 minutes ago, topatov said:

🤣 have fun guys ! But please if you are recruited to alpha keep your critical sense ... and not distorted view 

With all the comments you have made. Make sure you don’t buy it when it releases and stick to FS9

• Like 4

Also, they showed us the A5, XCub and the DA62 rather than the usual Cessna, TBM or DR400.

That could mean these 3 aircrafts are also ready by now! So from the trailer, only the A320 is missing right?

Edited by Noooch