Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

November 7th - Development/Insider Update

14 hours ago, Noooch said:

Seriously, am I the only one stunned by the quality of Courchevel? This sets a new standard for airports.

How don't we know more about airports? If I am not mistaken, none of the youtubers mentionned them, their quality or their accuracy.

I find it pretty strange

What we see (I am a cautious man) is pretty impressive. I wonder whether this is Asobo's work or LLH  having sold its creation.  

We don't have much indeed, except glances to Renton and LAX. I hope that a next EP will be on small and medium airports. My explanation is that they have not yet implemented or rather finely tuned the procedural construction. They do not reinvent the wheel but there is a little bit of that.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 hours ago, Noooch said:

Seriously, am I the only one stunned by the quality of Courchevel? This sets a new standard for airports.

How don't we know more about airports? If I am not mistaken, none of the youtubers mentionned them, their quality or their accuracy.

I find it pretty strange

What I would like to know is how well modeled are airports that are not hand made and doesn’t have photogrammetry info. Even in the photogrammetry ones Azure and devs should have a lot of work to do... 

With a bit of luck Discovery Series ep 5 will be about airports...  

• Like 3

+1 for more info on default airports.

That's one of my main interests we know nothing about yet. How will small GA airfields and large airports without any special treatment look like? Did Courchevel, Renton and KLAX / KSFO receive any special handmade enhancements (despite the obvious lack of taxiway markings in KSFO for example) or can we expect every airport to look like these?

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aleex said:

What I would like to know is how well modeled are airports that are not hand made and doesn’t have photogrammetry info. Even in the photogrammetry ones Azure and devs should have a lot of work to do... 

With a bit of luck Discovery Series ep 5 will be about airports...  

In the videos (forget which one exactly), I remember seeing default airports. They still had the marks of the parked real life jets (from the aerial photo) so I wonder if they will retouch these with the AI like they did for the clouds.

Over the aerial photo of the airport they added polygon based aprons and taxiways (expected) to make the aerial layout usable. And I remember seeing generic but good enough terminals and buildings etc.

All in all, looks like what MSFS had in previous versions or what XPlane 11 has now after LR released terminal kits. When XP V11 was out, the majority of their world airports were just 2D. If I rely on the MSFS video hints, at least in MSFS we could get some 3D infrastructure at the airports from V1.

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

19 hours ago, topatov said:

... but seriously look at this screen... i prefer this 15 years old fs9 with this 10€ add on ground environement x 

You might prefer the way FS9 looks with addons and that would be a subjective opinion based on visuals, but you simply can not argue that FS9 has more accurate and realistic scenery than MFS does. It's not even comparable, even with Environment X installed to FS9.

Preferences aside, to insinuate that FS9 is more visually realistic than MFS would be a factually incorrect statement.  It is not.

31 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

In the videos (forget which one exactly), I remember seeing default airports. They still had the marks of the parked real life jets (from the aerial photo) so I wonder if they will retouch these with the AI like they did for the clouds.

I remember that video. I think it was a London airport. Maybe Heathrow?

The XP 3D airport kit design is not bad, but I always missed some “personality” from most of airports. I remember that even FSX had some real buildings in a lot of important airports. Not perfect but it was something. 

So I hope that in those airports that no photogrammetry info are available, Azure could make something. Just a wish...

2 hours ago, Mengy said:

You might prefer the way FS9 looks with addons and that would be a subjective opinion based on visuals, but you simply can not argue that FS9 has more accurate and realistic scenery than MFS does. Iwould be a factually incorrect statement.  It is not.

the good thing is with FS2020 we will have out of the box 40,000 real-world airports

in a quality more then enough for 90% users without to spend thousands for add ons.

The rest will buy additional airports for sure, but you simply cant buy the whole world

you dont have the petabytes at home.

3 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

nor do we have petadollars😏

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, 188AHC said:

Guys, if you quote someone, please don't post the same picture . We have several posts showing the same picture and this is a data eating monster for people on limited data.

The same thing applies to those who quote a very L O N G post in their reply. Please used the mouse to highlight and delete all but maybe the first sentence or two for context and to make it clear to whom you are replying,

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 11/8/2019 at 8:15 AM, domkle said:

If there was any coincidence I would rather look here https://www.llhinfo.com/llh5.html

LLH is a French addon developer...

The assets look much more like Orbx if I'm honest. It wouldn't be a great suprise if Microsoft asked Orbx to produce scenery to iron out any implementation issues with the SDK. The assets are far too high quality to be standard game assets so I would bet with a high probability this was the fruits of there labor. If so I wonder who else is producing content for the sim...

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, fta2017 said:

Some amazing shots for sure, but this one looks no better than TrueEarth or Simheaven's stuff using world2xplane. Look at the random bland building textures and odd shapes, missing bridges, a weird tall tower etc.. I'd say this is a reality check which shows what most of the world is going to look like apart from the 300-odd photogrammetry cities. Also don't expect custom 3D models for important buildings worldwide either, based on this.

It's good you point this out, I think a lot of peoples expectation will need to be reset. I'm quite familar with TrueEarth and Simheaven's + world2xplane and I think the base level placement of autogen assets is pretty similar to what Microsoft have achieved.

Microsoft's effort though I see being closer to Orbx in terms of quality but for the AI generation only, so the 1000's of custom landmarks will be missing - this is something we'll just have to get used to but the aerial imagery and autogen will still make the landscape look amazing it just won't be embelished with the landmarks you expect unless like London and Paris the team spends time to add them.

Remember FSX has 1000's of custom made landmarks too including many hand created and placed buildings and bridges, so it's already going to take a monumental effort to replace some of these in areas which are not covered by photogrammetry but I'm hoping this will be there baseline and the 3PD's can fill out the rest, it's a good balance I think.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, bonchie said:

I think Orbx TE is a better comparison if you want to talk quality, but it's also stuck in an engine that simply doesn't have the atmospheric capabilities to make things look nearly as good. I've never found TE to be very visually appealing for some reason and I think it has less to do with Orbx's work and more to do with the generally bad lighting.

Yep 100%. X-Plane's videos and screenshots of the Orbx TE sceneries use xVision, I myself use Reshade and I can tell you the UK sceneries have great looking colour but it does take a little tweaking, you also need a beefy PC to get the the building/texture quality to show. From what I've seen a lot of the colour issues will go away in FS2020 but I'm sure that won't stop 3PD from tweaking the look for different experiences.

6 hours ago, dtrjones said:

The assets look much more like Orbx if I'm honest. It wouldn't be a great suprise if Microsoft asked Orbx to produce scenery to iron out any implementation issues with the SDK. The assets are far too high quality to be standard game assets so I would bet with a high probability this was the fruits of there labor. If so I wonder who else is producing content for the sim...

Plus the very big silence from John Venema regarding the new sim seems to point that he is in fact somehow associated with fs2020.  He is probably under an NDA but I am willing to bet he is involved.

Bart

9 hours ago, dtrjones said:

The assets look much more like Orbx if I'm honest.

The assets look nothing alike. The only similarities are those that exist because they're based on the same airport. There are many differences in the modeling and texturing, and a lot of the clutter objects are completely different. If it is the Orbx version, they've rebuilt it completely from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brandon Filer