Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

PMDG 737NGXu First Impressions and Review!

7 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

Took her for a spin around the pattern at MDW. The sounds are a bit improved, but, given that I fly in these things all the time, I was hoping for a little more 'wow' factor. Ground handling is significantly improved, but spool up time from idle is still unrealistically fast. PBR textures look great, and she flies well. Performance is very good. Get more of the 'cramped cockpit' feeling than the NGX, which is good. Overall, I feel a bit underwhelmed, but can't really complain since all this money is going towards the MSFS2020 version. I appreciate this release from PMDG, but I think I'll be flying the FSL A320 tomorrow. 

The list of beta testers for this product in their Intro Manual is impressive.  Wonder how they missed these little things you are seeing wrong.  It does not make any difference how "perfect" a product can be, someone like you will find all the faults.  I suspect this "review" is good for our membership and the whole flight simulation community.  The community needs at least one person who is critical.  For the majority in our community, these tiny issues you mentioned should not be an impediment to the enjoyment of this aircraft.  At 75, I have flown in many 737's and other Boeing aircraft around the world and this rendition of the 738 sounds and looks very realistic to me and I think an excellent add-on for the flight simulation world.  I think we will be seeing many YouTube videos soon with mini reviews and we can all judge for ourselves.  Here's one -  

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Which airport is that? The shadow of the aircraft vanishes when it passes over sections of taxiway between grass areas :huh:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Does it have rain effects and wipers on the windshield?

Didn't see it mentioned on the list of items on the PMDG release page..,

Chris Camp

6 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Does it have rain effects and wipers on the windshield?

Didn't see it mentioned on the list of items on the PMDG release page..,

Yes I saw a picture on FB.

S.

36 minutes ago, simbol said:

Yes I saw a picture on FB.

S.

That’s great!

Thanks!

Chris Camp

What timing, I’m sitting at an airport about to fly away from home for a week so I’ll have to live vicariously through all of you until I get home.

On the sounds, does it have any advance sound scripting like what FSLabs does?  To me the FSLabs Airbus sound system is the pinnacle for airliners...ie I don’t think any PMDG aircraft simulate how the buzzsaw sounds fades as the aircraft climbs.

The immersive audio sound packs for the NGX are great so that’s my minimum comparison for the new NGXu sound pack.

I have to say it’s a bit strange to have a new PMDG release and not have a 20 page thread at avsim within 24 hours.

Edited by regis9
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 minute ago, regis9 said:

I have to say it’s a bit strange to have a new PMDG release and not have a 20 page thread at avsim within 24 hours.

FB is full of PMDG all over the place..

S.

1 minute ago, regis9 said:

What timing, I’m sitting at an airport about to fly away from home for a week so I’ll have to live vicariously through all of you.

On the sounds, does it have any advance sound scripting like what FSLabs does?  To me the FSLabs Airbus sound system is the pinnacle for airliners...ie I don’t think any PMDG aircraft simulate how the buzzsaw sounds fades as the aircraft climbs.

The immersive audio sound packs for the NGX are great so that’s my minimum comparison for the new NGXu sound pack.

Inhave to say it’s a bit strange to have a new PMDG release and not have a 20 page thread at avsim within 24 hours.

I think it’s because this release has really taken everyone by surprise!

Chris Camp

From what I have seen on YT etc that I think the negatives are, the overlay texture on the seats to make them look "fluffy" is horrible and look terrible. Now there using DL for overhead lights in the VC, it seems FPS dive into teens. A huge hit. The sounds also don't blow me away like the addon sounds packs for the NG. Do the windows open and depending how much does the sounds go up/down? No? Really!

All in all it looks good but I ask myself is it $99 dollars better? . Think i will wait MSFS unless I give in before the end of Dec. The only thing that is impressive is that its been released, did not think that would happen till next year. PBR in and out of the VC also look great.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

26 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

I think it’s because this release has really taken everyone by surprise!

I have to say I like this approach better than the usual months / years of slow torture leading up to a release 😆 

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 hours ago, Farlis said:

It means you haven't synchronized the EFB with your scenery library. Just like in the 748 it should read your simulator's airport layouts.

Do I do this from the EFB? Looked in the Operations Center and there's nothing there. I don't own the 748 so this is new to me.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

7 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Do I do this from the EFB? Looked in the Operations Center and there's nothing there. I don't own the 748 so this is new to me.

I haven't seen it yet, but if it's like the 748 then yes, it's done in the EFB under the maintenance tab.

• Upvote 2