Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

PMDG 737NGXu First Impressions and Review!

5 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I have doubts as to whether or not DL is truly the cause. [...]

I don't think the actual issue is the FPS drop. I think that the FPS drop is a symptom. The one thing that keeps popping into my head is that even when FPS are good, I still perceive some degree of stuttering (not just in VC view). It's not bad, but there is something interrupting the overall smoothness of the sim. [...]

I can't see much of a difference in performance and relatively little change in GPU usage when I use DL with normal use of aircraft lights, this being some background lighting in the cockpit as well as external lights. Only when I turn every light, both internal and external, on is it that I notice a drop in performance. I don't think DL is the culprit either, especially since a lot of performance issues are reported even in daylight conditions.

This is basically what I've been saying a couple of pages back. I don't think the NGXu in its essence is a performance hog. Something else seems to be at play which has probably largely gone unnoticed or not perceived as capable of unfolding such significant effects in terms of performance during in-house testing at PMDG. This would also play into why I and some others are not having any performance issues.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 11/18/2019 at 6:32 AM, Christopher Low said:

For the record....having some dead insects appear on my cockpit window is not really where I want research and development to be heading with my simulated planes.

Mine neither. The software is clearly 'debugging' itself !!

I came here to get some views if it was worth upgrading from the NGX. I am in VR 100% so with the risk of lower performance I felt it probably would be disappointing given the old NGX is right on the edge in VR for me.

Totally off topic. I have lived in the US since 2002, but I come from Ulverston too. From birth to age 33.  Went to UVHS, worked at Glaxo for 17 years. 

Regards, Alan Phillips.

Edited by fenflame
Add wording
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fenflame said:

Mine neither. The software is clearly 'debugging' itself !!

I came here to get some views if it was worth upgrading from the NGX. I am in VR 100% so with the risk of lower performance I felt it probably would be disappointing given the old NGX is right on the edge in VR for me.

Totally off topic. I have lived in the US since 2002, but I come from Ulverston too. From birth to age 33.  Went to UVHS, worked at Glaxo for 17 years. 

Regards, Alan Phillips.

NGX is pretty good in VR on my system, but a little less smooth than the QOTSII.

I’ve also held off from purchasing the NGXu as I’m concerned that it may not cut it for VR flying, given the widely-reported performance issues (I still have not seen a NGX/NGXu frame rate comparison that did not show a substantial decrease).

Has anyone tried it in VR mode, and how did you get on?

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

That's very interesting, Alan. If you are 50 years old now, then you may have been in the same year at UVHS as my brother, or maybe the year below.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Question - I find the gauges labels blurry in the NGXu. This was also a problem in the NGX. I use 2048 textures on a full HD monitor.

Removing bloom effect (I use HDR) does not sharpen the labels.

Any tips?

I hope it's not the fact I don't use a 2k or 4k monitor 😁

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

That's very interesting, Alan. If you are 50 years old now, then you may have been in the same year at UVHS as my brother, or maybe the year below.

I am 50. I do remember a 'Low' in my school year. Ironically A tall lad given the name. Paul is coming to mind, but I could be way off.

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

NGX is pretty good in VR on my system, but a little less smooth than the QOTSII.

I’ve also held off from purchasing the NGXu as I’m concerned that it may not cut it for VR flying, given the widely-reported performance issues (I still have not seen a NGX/NGXu frame rate comparison that did not show a substantial decrease).

Has anyone tried it in VR mode, and how did you get on?

I find the NGX holds up better with FlyInside than native and with a Rift s holds around 25-30 fps with ATW steady at 80. THe issue is if ATW goes lower than 80 all hell breaks loose. Only a loss of 5fps would startit down that path, so I know I am already close to the limit. For those who don't have VR you would need to see about 40-45 fps with a standard monitor to get 20-25 in VR with ATW. So even at 30fps with a standard monitor and getting a great smooth situation , in VR it would be unplayable.

17 hours ago, threegreen said:

I don't think DL is the culprit either, especially since a lot of performance issues are reported even in daylight conditions.

Doesn't DL have to be turned on constantly and not just at night?  If you do not turn on DL, then you will not have the other external lighting on the wings and fuselage required for flying.  And, when I turn on the upper/lower AFDS lighting for the PFD during the  day, my fps go from the 50's-60's to around 21.  That is a major drop in performance with DL turned on even during the day.  External views and the FPS are in the 80's.  Go back to the VC and around 21.  If I turn off DL, fps are 50-60 in the VC during the day.  So I think DL plays a major role in performance in the VC, and only in the VC even during the day.  If I turn off AFDS during the day, my fps in the VC go back up to the 40's and 50's.

Edited by Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, fenflame said:

I am 50. I do remember a 'Low' in my school year. Ironically A tall lad given the name. Paul is coming to mind, but I could be way off.

It's a small world. My brother's name is indeed Paul, and he is about 6'3" tall.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

21 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Doesn't DL have to be turned on constantly and not just at night?  If you do not turn on DL, then you will not have the other external lighting on the wings and fuselage required for flying.  And, when I turn on the upper/lower AFDS lighting for the PFD during the  day, my fps go from the 50's-60's to around 21.  That is a major drop in performance with DL turned on even during the day.  External views and the FPS are in the 80's.  Go back to the VC and around 21.  If I turn off DL, fps are 50-60 in the VC during the day.  So I think DL plays a major role in performance in the VC, and only in the VC even during the day.  If I turn off AFDS during the day, my fps in the VC go back up to the 40's and 50's.

Odd. I have little impact in terms of performance with DL.

9 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

(I still have not seen a NGX/NGXu frame rate comparison that did not show a substantial decrease)

I understand people without performance impact are in the minority, but I posted my results literally one page back and the difference in FPS for me is about 5.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

58 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Odd. I have little impact in terms of performance with DL.

I did a test last night and found the same.  I have a decent, but not top shelf graphics card, GTX1070.  Strange how this seems to be so system-specific.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

I understand people without performance impact are in the minority, but I posted my results literally one page back and the difference in FPS for me is about 5.

It's OK, I literally read that and your other posts.

Of the people who have commented, you seem to be getting the best results, and your reported frame rate is around 12.5% less than you get with the NGX.

I'm expecting about a 20% decrease on average, based on the numbers that have been posted here and on the PMDG forum. 

RSR posted on the PMDG forum inferring that the Xu was not at all heavy on frames. That doesn't seem to be what's being reported so far.

I may still get it, but it's pretty expensive for a plane with questionable performance which doesn't do a lot more than the NGX.

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I did a test last night and found the same.  I have a decent, but not top shelf graphics card, GTX1070.  Strange how this seems to be so system-specific.

From testing with PMDG planes when DL was first released, it seems to be also scenery-specific ie what the light is hitting makes a difference. Some airports give horrible performance, whilst others work much better. 

From the posts of read from RSR/Kyle, it seems that DL hitting a complex surface (which includes the Xu cockpit) is very different from when it hits a simpler surafce.

• Like 1

Oz

23 hours ago, threegreen said:

I can't see much of a difference in performance and relatively little change in GPU usage when I use DL with normal use of aircraft lights, this being some background lighting in the cockpit as well as external lights. Only when I turn every light, both internal and external, on is it that I notice a drop in performance. I don't think DL is the culprit either, especially since a lot of performance issues are reported even in daylight conditions.

This is basically what I've been saying a couple of pages back. I don't think the NGXu in its essence is a performance hog. Something else seems to be at play which has probably largely gone unnoticed or not perceived as capable of unfolding such significant effects in terms of performance during in-house testing at PMDG. This would also play into why I and some others are not having any performance issues.

I have to agree.  Just pulled the trigger and at default EGIN AFB, with default sim clear skies, ORBX Global and NA LC installed (w/ locked FPS @ 30) getting 29-30 fps, constant in VC, during daytime.

Haven't tried at night at an Add-on AP, with all DL options enabled yet, but very impressed with FPS at stock AP so far.

Running:

i7 6700 @4.5/ 32gb DDR4 @ 2400/ 1080i 8GB/ and Win10 on SSD P3D on 2tb HDD.

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

9 hours ago, Shomron said:

Question - I find the gauges labels blurry in the NGXu. This was also a problem in the NGX. I use 2048 textures on a full HD monitor.

Removing bloom effect (I use HDR) does not sharpen the labels.

Any tips?

I hope it's not the fact I don't use a 2k or 4k monitor 😁

Anyone?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]