Kilo60

PMDG 737NGXu First Impressions and Review!

16 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Thank you, Rob! Very helpful. Seems to support what others are saying that it performs roughly as good as the FSL A320. That's a dealbreaker for me on my ancient machine (4770K@4.5GHz + GTX1070), as this means that I can't sustain a stable 30fps+ which is crucial to get a fluid sim on my 4K@30Hz monitor. Next year I will buy a new machine once the requirements for Flight Simulator 2020 are known. Then it might be worth a try.

Exactly and same setup .I do have 1080ti and 4k at 25hz because 30hz is a no go 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

So I just ran a quick test myself.

Scenario:

• Virtual cockpit, default cockpit state (engines running) for both addons (EFB enabled in the NGXu)
  • Flightbeam KDEN runway 26 (which is facing the airport), 12 pm
  • Default P3D fair weather theme
  • AI traffic at 97 aircraft in the vicinity
  • The only additional addon running was REX Environment Force
  • FPS measured with Fraps, CPU and GPU data with MSI Afterburner

Results NGXu:

• FPS: 35, steady, not really fluctuating when panning around, facing different directions, flight deck portions, etc.; overall smooth
  • GPU usage: 53%
  • CPU overall usage: 8%; CPU1 usage: 100%

Results NGX:

• FPS: 38 initially, up to 40 max, fluctuating a little bit; overall smooth
  • GPU usage: 42%
  • CPU overall usage: 9%; CPU1 usage: 100%

This reflects the performance so far when I checked the NGXu out. Very close to the NGX. Not really any difference on my system and the good performance, in my case, isn't just coming from additional headroom provided my system (in this regard, note my CPU1 core is maxed out).

• Like 1

Niklas Graefe
Prepar3Dv4.5 | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Thank God I can deal with framerates significantly less than 30, otherwise I would have packed it all in years ago.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters2.png

5 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Correction: It was from Gate 1 I pushed back. Night. Further I was using the following Add ons:

1. AS (latest version. Weather was clear)

2. Environment Force

3. UTLive with traffic quite low.

Comp: 6700K at 4.7 32GB Ram 1080 Ti.

20-25fps

4770k ,1080ti,4k,no traffic

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hmm.. another thing has started to happen now as well and that is CTDs. I've had the two last flights with the NGXu end in CTDs (daytime flights for performance reasons). I am going to test the same route with another aircraft to see if it is a general problem (which I don't think as P3D has been very stable for me).

Richard Johansson

So I managed to clock a short flight between EDDF and EDDM. Performance seems to be completely unchanged. In fact, it did seem a notch worse but it was within margin of error and could have very well been caused by difference in (live)weather. GPU utilization was indeed lower, so I guess that is a good news for those who were GPU bound. But for CPU utilization, this update does nothing. Time to park this bird in to the desert, waiting for better times.

Edited by Evros

I did an uninstall and reinstalled the latest version and it seems a little better. I did a night landing at KBOS and it wasn't a complete slide show like it used to be. I keep reading posts on the PMDG forum of people blaming the dynamic lighting, but I am still not convinced.  

• Like 1

Are those with beefy GPU’s (2080ti) complaining of poor FPS due to dynamic lighting?  Could it be due to a weak GPU and PMDG using DL for the interior and exterior lighting while landing at night?

Chris Camp

NGXu does use more VC DL so it will add load to a GPU ... if this is the case, then drop down your AA level (or avoid using SSAA and/or any external AA manipulators).  Check your GPU utilization, if it's at 100% or very close then it's most likely your AA setting is too high for the GPU to handle.

Isn't there an option in the NGXu FMC to turn off internal VC DL?

Cheers, Rob.

My results Flightbeam KDEN RW26 Fair weather 12:00PM with vsync off

NGX 60-65 FPS
NGXu 40-45 FPS
FSL320 30-35 FPS

So since the update marginally better for me but nowhere near what it used to be.

Edited by JasonPC