Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

8 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

My point is this, a lot of people are complaining about the price of a product because they csnt justify the price to themselves or they csnt afford it. Both of those are understandable reasons as to why they wouldn't buy the new 737.

Complaining about it though comes off as a tad bit juvenile.

I won't buy it because I have enough intelligence to understand when I am being dictated too and taken for a ride. I understand the difference between right and wrong. It's all basic stuff I learned in life as a juvenile from mommy and daddy.

• Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

9 hours ago, joseg175 said:

We cannot prematurely judge that 140 dollars is too high for the product... when we haven't even seen the product.  It could be the best airliner ever released on a flight sim platform and judging from their body of work and in combination with the new sim it could be possible.

Cost me 5 bucks for the finest car I've ever driven in a race sim. Cost me another 5 bucks for some fine tarmac to put it on.

$140 and you will still have nowhere to put it. Wakey wakey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

Just now, Max50 said:

Cost me 5 bucks for the finest car I've ever driven in a race sim. Cost me another 5 bucks for some fine tarmac to put it on.

$140 and you will still have nowhere to put it. Wakey wakey.

...and I just bought a packet of peanuts for $0.30. You were ripped off for your tarmac.

2 minutes ago, b737800 said:

...and I just bought a packet of peanuts for $0.30. You were ripped off for your tarmac.

You did well, that price is peanuts. PMDG have an allergy to peanuts.

Mark Daniels

Finally must add, because our house cost us half a million dollars, does not mean it is fine for our plane for our plane game to cost half a million dollars.

If I buy a cup of coffee, there is an expectation it will cost less than my house.

Mark Daniels

1 minute ago, Max50 said:

Finally must add, because our house cost us half a million dollars, does not mean it is fine for our plane for our plane game to cost half a million dollars.

If I buy a cup of coffee, there is an expectation it will cost less than my house.

The peanut remark was good. This one wasn't thought out.

I can imagine the response from the car salesman when I ask to purchase the newest equivalent of my existing car and then demand an upgrade price (while still keeping the old car) just because it's just an upgraded version of what I already have. Surely they used a lot of the same technology and know-how in the new car? How dare they charge me the same or more. Don't they know I'm a customer!

I don't know how long it took PMDG to develop the first version of the 737 and I also don't know how long it took them to develop the latest. However, I could quite easily believe they spent just as much on the latest as they did on the original. I could easily believe they spent more time. The level of detail is incredible.

They are simulating a $100M dollar airplane for a market that is far smaller than race games, and the complexity of that airplane with its flight model, options and systems is far more complex than any car I can think of.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Level D simulators and the cost is... quite steep. I can easily believe they spent tens of thousands of dollars just on that alone.

Just playing devil's advocate here... if it took PMDG just as much time and effort to create the new model as it did the previous, do you still think it's a rip-off to have to pay the same price? I'm with you that an upgrade price would be nice if the effort in producing the upgrade was less than the effort for producing the original, but perhaps it wasn't.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, b737800 said:

Just playing devil's advocate here... if it took PMDG just as much time and effort to create the new model as it did the previous, do you still think it's a rip-off to have to pay the same price? I'm with you that an upgrade price would be nice if the effort in producing the upgrade was less than the effort for producing the original, but perhaps it wasn't.

We are not paying the same price.

MSFS should retail for $2,200.95 as the work and time spent on that will be far more immense than the plane. I hope I don't hear of you complaining.

You work within boundaries and to expectation if you are any good at what you do.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

It is worth pointing out that (as far as I am aware) the contents of the NG3 release package for the new MFS have not been announced. Whilst I suspect that it will be the same 800/900/900ER combo as the NGXu for P3Dv4, it is possible that it will include more variants for that $140 price tag.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There are products that are marked up from cost at 50%, 100% even 1,000%.

It's to make as much profit as possible.

If anyone here thinks $140 is just to recover costs OMG.

Good business is about being fair.

Edited by Skywatcher
  • Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

7 minutes ago, Max50 said:

We are not paying the same price.

MSFS should retail for $2,200.95 as the work and time spent on that will be far more immense than the plane. I hope I don't hear of you complaining.

You work within boundaries and to expectation if you are any good at what you do.

If you want to totally discount the expected market size as a factor of pricing then your post is spot on.

I once worked as the head of a software product line and each product of course had sales targets. The sales manager of one of the products (let's call it Wibble for short) came to me and said that Wibble was overpriced by about 30%. I asked what I thought were all the right questions of him and a few months later, when he still wasn't hitting target, the conversation went something like:

Him: "My Wibble sales targets are too high. Now that we've reduced the price I have to sell more units just to hit the same figures as I did before. Plus, we need to hire more support staff because there are more people using Wibble".

Me: "I quit".

• Like 1

The bottom line is quality has a price and you are the only judge of the fairness of that price. Stating one’s discontentment is ok within reasonable limits. Don’t teach the maker of the plane what is best for him and throw abuse on him because you cannot afford or don’t want to spend that much. Your cries of outrage are indeed juvenile as there is no vital need to fly a 737 and, even more, to fly a PMDG 737.

People accepting the price are not «brainwashed», they think that they will have for 140 dollars of value over the next few years. And they are most probably right. To think that entertainment should be cheap is a new concept for me.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, domkle said:

The bottom line is quality has a price and you are the only judge of the fairness of that price. Stating one’s discontentment is ok within reasonable limits. Don’t teach the maker of the plane what is best for him and throw abuse on him because you cannot afford or don’t want to spend that much. Your cries of outrage are indeed juvenile as there is no vital need to fly a 737 and, even more, to fly a PMDG 737.

People accepting the price are not «brainwashed», they think that will have for 140 dollars of value over the next few years. And they are most probably right. To think that entertainment should be cheap is a new concept for me.

Very true.

Don't underestimate "pride / prestige" as a buying motive.

21 minutes ago, b737800 said:

Wibble

An interesting story.

I suspect that if PMDG pricing has clearly the goal to increase the margin at the expense of the sale volume, a well known strategy in the luxury goods market, they are not unhappy to be gotten rid of some of their customers. Guess whom ?

PMDG, the Vuitton of flight simulation 😁 !

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I agree 100% with @Max50 when he says that with this kind of thinking, MSFS should cost $2,200.95 for their time on building the sim and the quality they provide. It should even cost much more.

I know PMDG products are almost as complex as the real thing and they put a lot of work in their products but what about Asobo with the simulator itself?

The argument about "$ vs time spent flying the 737" or "140$ vs your last dinner or movie" etc... they just don't stand.

The reality is the word, the engine, the weather, the physics, the lighting, the AI, several payware quality planes, several payware quality airports (Courchevel)... all of this can just not be cheaper than a single aircraft.

That is common sense.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 6