Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

The dark side doesn’t say that it is happy to pay more, @Alec. We say that a company putting on the market non essential luxury goods should be free of setting its pricing policy without being pilloried by those not ready to pay for whatever reason, that it is up to the consumer to decide what he/she wants to pay and not some supposedly benevolent monopolistic entity like the MS store. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 hours ago, Alan_A said:

and I agree with your OEM point).

Speaking of OEM, what about the A2A Cub which has been « pushed back », some say until May ? Nice Cub in the Asobo’s teasers don’t you think ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Wow, 11 pages about the cost of an add on...

It's quite simple really: buy it if it is worth it for you (and if you have the money for it), don't buy if it isn't worth it for you (or if you don't have the money for it) I won't buy it because I am not into Boeing. However, offer me a Majestic-like Q400 for MSFS and I will be happy to pay whatever you ask for it. I don't really see the use in discussing prices because it's very personal and subjective.

Comparing add on prices to things like the movies or a dinner or whatever is even more odd. These are completely different things that can't be compared. Fine, you spend 139,- on a dinner so you don't mind spending 139,- on a plane, well, I spend 139,- on two or three weeks of groceries and whatever else I need to not die so... does that mean I should or shouldn't buy the add on...? What the heck has that got to do with my flight sim hobby? 10,- might be way too much for one add on while 1000,- might be quite okay for another. As I said, buy it if it is worth it for you (and if you have the money for it), don't buy if it isn't worth it for you (or if you don't have the money for it). Simple as that. No need for 11 pages of discussion about this, I'd think. 😉

• Upvote 2

If people would just stop buying this pile of lies (Higher prices cos of commercial product (P3d) - I havent laughed so hard in a long time) then PMDG would lower the prices to reasonable levels by themselfs. 

But as long as PMDG word not allowed buy every product blindfolded I cant even blame them from a business point of view. Milk the cows as long as possible.

Its a common happening in the gaming industry. People buy every word not allowed. They even perorder games without any infos or tests and then complain cos they received another unfinsihed bugfest.

Still they preorder the next game cos hype.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Edited by DaWu
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Lukas Dalton

1 hour ago, Flamingpie said:

Wow, 11 pages about the cost of an add on...

It's quite simple really: buy it if it is worth it for you (and if you have the money for it), don't buy if it isn't worth it for you (or if you don't have the money for it) I won't buy it because I am not into Boeing. However, offer me a Majestic-like Q400 for MSFS and I will be happy to pay whatever you ask for it. I don't really see the use in discussing prices because it's very personal and subjective.

It beats clock watching when I am at work :laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Reading through this thread, I'm also struck by the way that PMDG serves, yet again, as a lighting rod when others don't.

That is because everyone wants the product. The people complaining about pricing are simply having a hard time justifying spending X amount of money on Y amount of enjoyment to themselves. If they didn't want the product, nothing about the price would bother them in the least.

15 hours ago, Farlis said:

I don't blame them for being the only add-on developer who develops a decent 747 for example. I blame them for exploiting that fact by charging ever higher prices, and coming up with ever new excuses to do so.

No company needs an excuse for their pricing structure. It's really simple. Determine the cost to produce the products, determine the profits required (or why bother?), determine the size of the market (projected units sold), do a little simple math to determine the sales price -> price = (cost + profit) / units sold. PMDG is not arbitrarily setting the price. The cost (to produce including, facilities, labor, legal costs, taxes, etc.) is what truly determines the price as the profit piece is locked in as a percentage of costs. If PMDG doesn't meet their profit levels consistently, they'll just stop making airplanes altogether. No excuse necessary. It is what it is.

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

PMDG are aware of their prior sales numbers and will budget the development projects accordingly ... they've been fairly successful at this process over the decades ... they focus on a market that wants complexity and quality and is willing to pay for that, which they clearly do have that market already. 

$100 for PMDG 737 or $100 for latest COD (Call of Duty super pooper edition) ... I know I will get 10X more hours using the PMDG 737 than I would using COD.  The actual cost per hour of usage, even if I only used it 3 hours a week, over 2 years is 312 hours or about $0.31 per hour ... but in all likelihood I'll be using it 4-5 years which would further bring my enjoy cost down to about $0.12 per hour.

We think alike in many regards, so I'm just gonna say, "Yeah. What Rob said.".

Edited by MDFlier
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Ouch, too expensive (and that's before I start talking about exchange rates). Thanks, I'll pass....

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:06 AM, ailchim said:

Your politics are showing..................

I guess they would be if I had any! 😁

3 hours ago, MDFlier said:

No company needs an excuse for their pricing structure. It's really simple. Determine the cost to produce the products, determine the profits required (or why bother?), determine the size of the market (projected units sold), do a little simple math to determine the sales price -> price = (cost + profit) / units sold. PMDG is not arbitrarily setting the price. The cost (to produce including, facilities, labor, legal costs, taxes, etc.) is what truly determines the price as the profit piece is locked in as a percentage of costs. If PMDG doesn't meet their profit levels consistently, they'll just stop making airplanes altogether. No excuse necessary. It is what it is.

Indeed, It would probably be sobering to many to learn the true cost of doing business with a PMDG type product when you factor in employee training, product development, support costs, servers and IT, state and federal taxes etc.

It's not like it's some bloke sitting in his basement cashing checks.

3 hours ago, MDFlier said:

The people complaining about pricing are simply having a hard time justifying spending X amount of money on Y amount of enjoyment to themselves. 

So funny, that was exactly what I thought about people trying to justify this insane price.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, simtom said:

About the whole "why don't I get a discount for an update" story, just look at the major smartphone manufactures. Every year they release a new flagship phone that retails in the €1000 region (!) and you don't get any discount as a current customer

You're talking about physical hardware though, the software is always supported with major updates for at least 2 years and often more. Pixel 1 came with Android 7.1 in 2016, it received Android 10 a few weeks ago, completely free of charge. So based on the phone analogy, a P3Dv4 purchase should have a free upgrade to MFS.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You're talking about physical hardware though, the software is always supported with major updates for at least 2 years and often more. Pixel 1 came with Android 7.1 in 2016, it received Android 10 a few weeks ago, completely free of charge. So based on the phone analogy, a P3Dv4 purchase should have a free upgrade to MFS.

It is in the phone manufacturers interest to release new OSs as often as possible. They want your phone to run slower and slower so you buy a new one.

... and we drift off topic.

6 minutes ago, Noooch said:

So funny, that was exactly what I thought about people trying to justify this insane price.

Come on Noooch, you write many quality posts. You might think the price is too high, even totally unjustified, but $140 for software is insane?

On 11/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, ahsmatt7 said:

It is extremely juvenile to complain about pricing

It's even more juvenile to criticize others right to complaint, you are out_of_line dude. You earn the right to criticize only if you're paying for what they are complaining about.

If people don't complain and instead adopt your way thinking, prices would be all over the place. From my point of view, PMDG just found another opportunity to make a big bucks without caring about their customer base. 

I can if understand the additional charge for a product that you already paid top dollar for and you also wanted it for MS2020, but having to pay top dollar for it again, I say PMDG is taking advantage of their customers, period.

P3D and PMDG are both money pits. Im glad I decided to stick to one sim XP, Im a few thousand dollars richer.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Upvote 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo