Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

I'm still not convinced that it is anything more than a clever marketing ploy. The most recent announcement is where he revealed that the NGXu has been released, and customers will get a $99.99 discount towards the MSFS version NGX...

This of course has opened the flood-gates for anxious fans to open their wallets and spend a $100 for instant gratification in P3Dv4.x and enjoy a nice discount in another year or so. Like I said, it's a clever way to earn money now! :happy:

• Upvote 7

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, CarlosF said:

It's even more juvenile to criticize others right to complaint, you are out_of_line dude. You earn the right to criticize only if you're paying for what they are complaining about.

If people don't complain and instead adopt your way thinking, prices would be all over the place. From my point of view, PMDG just found another opportunity to make a big bucks without caring about their customer base. 

I can if understand the additional charge for a product that you already paid top dollar for and you also wanted it for MS2020, but having to pay top dollar for it again, I say PMDG is taking advantage of their customers, period.

P3D and PMDG are both money pits. Im glad I decided to stick to one sim XP, Im a few thousand dollars richer.

Its juvenile to complain about the price of an addon for a game. You arent complaining about phone bill, the price of gas or any other necessity. You are complaining about an entertainment product. 

That's sounds like what kids do. Complain about the price of something they want but cant afford...or just dont see the value in the product. 

Just dont buy the product and keep quite. 

It's really that simple.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Like I said, it's a clever way to earn money now! :happy:

But didn’t the consumer choose to buy it for their own satisfaction and enjoyment ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Just dont buy the product and keep quite. 

It's really that simple.

That's a silly attitude.

People have every right to discuss the relative value to themselves as compared to the purchase price of any item, entertainment or no. And in this case, I think it's just as understandable to balk at a $139 price tag for an addon as it is to say that addon is worth that much. It's all about what it's worth to you, and that's what people are discussing.

And honestly, I get it. MS and Asobo will be delivering huge value at what is likely to be a standard game price point, and so the natural tendency is to go, "OK, the game is X, and I can do all this in the game, it's the whole world, aero, weather, and then _one_ plane is 2X? Does the plane really deliver me 2X the value of the entire sim?" For some people, the answer is yes, because what they value is not only good flight simulation but also proper systems driving, the kind of management experience you can only get with very high fidelity modeled systems. And all those systems are a boatload of code, hundreds if not thousands of edge cases, very difficult testing. PMDG may be many things, but their initial releases are certainly of a high quality and seem to require far less evolution and patching than the competitors, in my experience.

But for others, which is also a reasonable response, the answer is not yes. Maybe $99 was on the outside, but are those last couple VNAV quirks worth another $40? How much more in depth could one actually get into the 737 in a meaningful way? Will the new PMDG inside MSFS really be 40% more fun or more cool to use?

My personal opinion is that $139 really represents both the costs of the P3D version and the MSFS version in total, which will be no small amount of extra work, and it's likely a huge percentage of folks will buy the P3D version and take the credit against the MSFS version. So, it's really more of a business decision than anything else for PMDG in order to keep the bills paid while this big sim shift is in process and then still realize some additional value from the extra MSFS development cycle. I happen to think that's quite expensive, but also if I want the very best 737 on offer, I'm unlikely to find an alternative.

-Matt N

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

You arent complaining about phone bill, the price of gas or any other necessity. You are complaining about an entertainment product

You called phone bill, price of gas a necessity, well if an entertainment product (as you pointed out) isn't a necessity, we wouldn't be here arguing about it, would we?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 hours ago, b737800 said:

Come on Noooch, you write many quality posts. You might think the price is too high, even totally unjustified, but $140 for software is insane?

I am sorry but I truly think this price for an addon aircraft is pure lack of respect for the consumer. This is only my opinion and that might be not the truth, but it is how I feel it. Maybe "insane" was not the appropriate word and I apologize, but you get the idea 😉

• Upvote 2

Entertainment value -- an interesting, subjective and somewhat illusive concept that has been brought up a number of times that refers to the ratio of enjoyment received relative to the price paid for something. Perhaps this concept can best be explored with an example. Let's see, hmm, OK, take for example this very thread. Now I fully understand that the chance that any of the posts in this thread, including my own offerings of dubious gems of wisdom, are actually going to change anyone's mind on the appropriateness of PMDG's $139.99 price tag for the B737NG3 is vanishingly small, if not dead zero. And of course, the same can be said for the chance that PMDG is going to actually change their business model and the B737NG3 price tag based on this thread.  So this thread will change nothing in my opinion. But, all that aside, how would you judge this thread's entertainment value? Well for me, I have certainly enjoyed reading many, if not most, of the posts despite the repetition and somewhat curious (in my judgement) logic at times. In fact, it's that very curious logic that is often most entertaining. And admittedly, I've even learned some (well, maybe just a couple) of things along the way.  So that's the enjoyment side of the entertainment value equation for me. Now let's consider the price side of things. Interestingly, like the chance that this thread is actually going to change anything, the price is also vanishingly small although not dead zero since it does take time to read all the posts and perhaps, to post something if so foolishly inclined (ahem). Time, as they say, is money so we have to enter 'thread time' as a legitimate cost on the cost side of the entertainment value equation. So in evaluating all this, my personal conclusion is that the ratio of the enjoyment provided by this thread relative to the cost has been quite good, and thus I will read on at least for a while because I have determined it is worth it to me. But of course, I understand others might well come to a significantly different conclusion because for them the 'thread time' cost outweighs the enjoyment side (especially after reading this!), which reinforces the fact that entertainment value is very personal.

Al

Edited by ark

On 11/9/2019 at 12:35 PM, Max50 said:

They could charge $500 and a night with your wife and people would still defend it.

Some may even go as far as giving her up for a week lol jk but i get your point, i had seen this before after siming  for so many years . 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Already a 1000 PMDG 737 doing donuts on the runway videos out 🙂

Somebody posted a couple of them as GIFs in that thread.  Seems to have gotten his attention...

I am so glad PMDG is working on aircrafts for new MSFS2020. Without PMDG MSFS2020 is Meah (I would never give up on P3Dv4+

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Personally I would never pay 140 bucks for an add-on but that's me. 

However, I support PMDG's right to set whatever price they think the market will bear. That's called capitalism and is the foundation of the prosperity we see in our world today. 

You only option at this point is to pay the price or not. I choose not. What you choose is entirely up to you. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

4 hours ago, Noooch said:

I am sorry but I truly think this price for an addon aircraft is pure lack of respect for the consumer. This is only my opinion and that might be not the truth, but it is how I feel it. Maybe "insane" was not the appropriate word and I apologize, but you get the idea 😉

No need to apologise my friend. If it's your opinion it's your opinion.

3 hours ago, ark said:

my personal conclusion is that the ratio of the enjoyment provided by this thread relative to the cost has been quite good, and thus I will read on at least for a while because I have determined it is worth it to me. But of course, I understand others might well come to a significantly different conclusion because for them the 'thread time' cost outweighs the enjoyment side (especially after reading this!), which reinforces the fact that entertainment value is very personal.

Al

I'd sell my wife for this thread.

This thread became gold when someone suggested Microsoft directly regulating the price for add-ons, haha.  Is $140 crazy for an add-on plane? I wouldn't pay it, and I think it's fine to discuss what you think of the relative value of that.  But the idea that Microsoft should step in is patently absurd.  If you think it's not worth your money, then... don't buy it?

This isn't public utilities or housing we are talking about here, where some amount of regulation is warranted.  It's a digital plane for a piece of software.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

This isn't public utilities or housing we are talking about here, where some amount of regulation is warranted.  It's a digital plane for a piece of software.

How dare you bring sanity and rationale into this thread. No place for it.

Actually I'm close to bringing a piece of software to (an unrelated) market and I need to set the initial price point and I have to weigh up costs, perceived value, profit targets and many other factors against what I think the market will bear. I'd be interested in knowing some "guesstimates" as to PMDG's potential market size as an exercise in futility, so please add some more sanity to any figures below that you think might be WAY off, taking existing sims as a baseline and a product that is a single aircraft type and ignoring the possibility of a new sim (FS2020) that might increase numbers at some point in the future:

P3D / FSX / XP active users: 3 million
% of those that have paid for any add-ons: 20% = 600,000
% of those that are interested in 1 specific airliner type: 20% = 120,000 (this is my target market)
% of those that I can expect to be made aware of and consider my product: 30% (total guess) = 36,000
% conversion rate: 10% = 3,600 units sold
Timescale to sell those units: 2 years
Price point $140

Gross income = 140 * 3,600 = $504,000, over 2 years, heavily weighted to 1st year,

I would be very interested in which of the figures above you might think are way off the mark. This of course ignores any "commercial" market - only looking at the serious simmers down to the gamers.

Thanks

4 hours ago, b737800 said:

How dare you bring sanity and rationale into this thread.  

well, as Avis once said  some of us "try harder"

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam