Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

On 8/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, Chock said:

Fixed it for them:

Old version: 'new customers to NG3 will pay the full $139.99'

Corrected version: 'potential customers will see the price tag and decide not to pay $139.99'

And if this comes to pass, the price will have to be cut to acceptable levels that the market will pay and be comfortable with.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

28 minutes ago, eaim said:
  On 8/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, Chock said:

Fixed it for them:

Old version: 'new customers to NG3 will pay the full $139.99'

Corrected version: 'potential customers will see the price tag and decide not to pay $139.99

Too funny! Boy are we having a blast with this!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

3 hours ago, hangar said:

But that doesn't mean that you can't have the same staff offer a less featured product earlier on in development for less money

Yes it does. It's not like they program an easy-mode FMS and then erase all that and program a realistic one as a normal part of their development process. Under your plan they'd have to program two FMS's,adding to development time. 

Now, if you're suggesting they do some sort of early access program where you can get in on a buggy half-developed plane for half price with the understanding that you won't get the fixed product at the end...  Why would anyone buy a broken plane that doesn't work right for 60 bucks?

And if PMDG did do that, I bet you'd be right at the head of the line of people ready to pillory them for selling broken junk.

Edited by eslader

3 hours ago, hangar said:

Yes of course they need to keep up the quality. It's not about lowering the "quality" though...it's about offering less features as an early option (as in an fmc with only 20 pages instead of 100 as an example). it can still be the same high quality workmanship as full featured PMDG products, only with certain non essential features omitted to suit the markets.

MS is doing it with MSFS (as many other software companies do this) and has nothing to do with cutting quality, only quantity.

Flight1  as a tiny company also did this as well as they serve the commercial markets along with the entertainment markets (offering lower prices to us wth the same products, albeit just missing some non essentials).

Completely agree, the PMDG product you propose could just be seen as an entry level plus version to help new simmers get to the next level of their flying ability, and then they could pay to upgrade to the full product, PMDG could even make this route a little more expensive than buying the full product initially, so everyone wins. 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

38 minutes ago, eslader said:

Yes it does

I've done this very thing...so I know it's quite doable (never did an fmc mind you, but it's the same technique applied to virtually any application project)..it just depends upon proper planning is all. I don't understand why you'd say it's not. Even if you never coded yourself and don't understand you can still look within the flightsim industry itself and find examples of this having already been done in the past.

But you know what..regardless of our opinions. It's only PMDG, their market, time, and their ultimate revenues that will dictate if they will have the need or want to amend their initial plans in the first place.

From what I've personally seen over the years I'm not holding my breath, regardless of what their options actually are, as Robert has always been very set in his ways. I'm personally fine with it though...and again, if all I did was spend 90% of my time flying an airliner in the sim then I'd likely be pony'ing up too as the value becomes more clear in such cases.

It would just be nice to have a slightly "lighter" and less expensive alternative available from them for those of us who don't put a ton of time into airline flying. But again, I won't be holding my breath 🙂

Edited by hangar

I think people are over thinking this,pmdg is a company like any other, they sell a product and we see value or we don't therefore we either buy it we don't, I could not care if Robert files a Cessna or a 747 around he earned it by taking the risks some of us would not. These personal company attacks are just lame, too expensive for you don't buy it, it's the reason some don't fly for real

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Pointing out that the boss of PMDG likes flying a DC-3 (let's be honest, who wouldn't?) actually supports the notion of choice. He chooses to do that, it's not compulsory, and it ain't cheap to do it either, but he wants to, so he gets his hand in his pocket to do so. Same with the PMDG aeroplanes; they're a choice. If you don't like em enough to pay that price, then don't buy em. If you do like em that much, hit that buy button and enjoy.

I'm not a big fan of the way PMDG has priced things on occasion, but that is entirely up to them. They don't owe me any explanation, or an apology or anything. I've got quite a few PMDG products in spite of this because I can make a rational choice on what I do and do not want without imagining it's some kind of financial vendetta against me.

And let's be fair here, that's the same money FSL are charging for their A320 (which I've also been charged for twice - FSX and P3D - and again, my choice), so if anyone's gonna have a pop at the notion of that kind of price, don't just single out PMDG because you have a weed up your @ss concerning their boss, because they aren't the only ones putting that price tag on their products.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I love my PMDG products - every one of them, and of course I'm going to buy it when they release it for MSFS. If they could simply port them over I would feel like I was badly treated by PMDG if they charged that much for it, but they need to make them basically from the ground up. So they are asking me to pay for their expenses and make sure there is a overhead there to make their studio keep growing. I think that's fine. 

They are asking about the same price as 1 low/medium quality flightstick. It's pixels on a screen, and not something I can touch, yet it's quality is much more than that of the flightstick. Now, of course I wouldn't buy an addon for that price from just anyone. Just the ones I expect the very best quality from. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Here's a little story:

Years ago, we decided that because in wintertime our garden would get muddy and our dogs would trail mud into the house from it, we'd concrete over the garden and have potted plants instead. So, we scouted about and got quotes for somebody to come and dig over the garden to prep it. Cheapest quote was 400 quid. I thought '£400? Sod that, I'll do it myself!'

So I did, and it was hard work. After I'd done it, I came to the conclusion that if somebody wanted me to do their garden, I'd bloody well charge them £400 quid as well.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, eaim said:

And if this comes to pass, the price will have to be cut to acceptable levels that the market will pay and be comfortable with.

When have you ever seen that happen? If you want to have growth prices need to go up.

19 minutes ago, Farlis said:

If you want to have growth prices need to go up

That is also referred to as inflated growth, which is not healthy. Growth = increased sales. Increased sales comes from more customers buying more of your product line. Prices don't go up for no reason, they tend to rise with inflation which is a very bad thing for an economy. Again, companies don't grow because the cost of living goes up, they grow via an increase in sales revenue.

19 minutes ago, Farlis said:

When have you ever seen that happen?

Ha! so true 🙄... but there are also lots of companies out here tiering their pricing structures/product line (er, is "tiering" a word? hehe).

Edited by hangar

Why are you guys obsessing over a product that’s not going to be released for a year at least?

As we all know, a lot can happen between now and then.

7 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Why are you guys obsessing over a product that’s not going to be released for a year at least?

As we all know, a lot can happen between now and then.

This question has been answered a couple of times in this topic: it's the boredom until the 18th 😉

• Like 2

This is all I would like:  One day, someone is going to make a 737, 747, or 777 at medium complexity.  The degree of success of MSFS will determine whether or how quickly it will happen, but I think the trajectory of this sim will make it a certainty.  When that day comes, even if that day arrives before PMDG's offerings do, what I would like is for this forum to greet it with the same measure of equanimity that some of you seem to expect from people who want to make a legitimate point about overpricing of addons.  Sound fair?

PMDG don't want to welcome a new wave of casual simmers.  PMDG's forum and support can charitably be described as "testy" towards dumb questions at even the best of times,  you think they want a torrent of Gen Z casuals whining about how the airplane breaks too often when you fly it wrong?  Last thing in the world they want.  Robert wants to make a sim for serious simmers and aviation nerds (not meant as a slight)  The price, as much as anything, I believe is a way to ensure a level of commitment.  In that vein, and considering the real quality of the products, I really don't have much of an issue with the (initial) price.

Problem is, if I want to fly a 737, I gotta buy this thing that isn't made for me.  You wanna know why people don't whine about FSLabs as much as PMDG?  it's because Aerosoft make an a320.  If QW or aerosoft made a 737, I would laugh when PMDG decides to make everybody buy the same thing again for more money, but I wouldn't feel the need to vent on here about it.  But it's a vicious circle,  why did QW make the 787?  because PMDG said they weren't going to make a 787, that's why.  Sim elitism would have sunk anybody who dared step in the ring with a medium product.  that needs to stop.  please.

(as an aside, if someone says $140 is a regular dinner out, I have two things to say: 1.  You're also getting ripped off on dinner  2.  you are probably not in the "middle" income range, so you might not be readily able to relate, just sayin')

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4