Sign in to follow this  
Raller

Is the new PMDG 737NGXu worth the 99$ as an update to my 737NGX?

Hi,
i own the "old" PMDG 737NGX with the 700/600 expansion pack, Immersion cockpit and turbine sounds and remote CDU for my tablet pc. Everything works fine.

Regardless of the savings for the MSFS 2020 model - are the technical and visual innovations so impressive that it is worth the 99$ if you consider it as an update?

Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

9 minutes ago, Raller said:

Hi,
i own the "old" PMDG 737NGX with the 700/600 expansion pack, Immersion cockpit and turbine sounds and remote CDU for my tablet pc. Everything works fine.

Regardless of the savings for the MSFS 2020 model - are the technical and visual innovations so impressive that it is worth the 99$ if you consider it as an update?

Raller

Reviews are mixed, for example see https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/562584-pmdg-737ngxu-first-impressions-and-review/.

Al

I looked at the feature list and decided not to bother. I have Aivlasoft’s Electronic Flight Bag so the inclusion of one in the PMDG didn’t interest me. The 4K textures would be an improvement over what I have now but $99 is too much for that. Dynamic lighting is not high on my list of priorities.

Maybe a r/w pilot can appreciate the improved flight model but the existing model is good enough for this pilot. I shall continue to enjoy the existing version until MFS20 is launched and then reevaluate my options.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

For me it is only worth if you are planning to get the 737 for MSFS. That is why I bought it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

For me, it is a mix of the 2. If there were no discount for the MFS version, I wouldn't have bought it, so let's get that right out of the way. I was perfectly happy flying the old version and more than willing to just wait it out. I think PMDG realized that many of us would be in that camp and offered the full price off on the next version. I think this was a brilliant move. I know that I will buy MFS when it is released. I know that I will want an airliner. I know that I'll get to spend the same $100 that I spent last night again after I buy MFS, so it was a nobrainer. 

That being said. The new PBR exterior textures look amazing and give the airplanes a real life look. They do look like they are made of painted and raw metal. The dynamic lighting looks beautiful. I like being able to dim the pedestal lighting without creating the waffle pattern textures all over the cockpit. Many of the interior surfaces and items such as switches and buttons look much better than they did before. The sounds are much better. I've never sat in a real 737 cockpit before, but the one in this version doesn't 'feel' like it is 30' wide like the old one did. I like the new flight model better. The rain effects on the windscreen are very cool. The wipers actually do something now. The best feature is the EFB. Just so happened that my bank blocked my automatic Navigraph payment for my ARAC data, so I was afforded the 'opportunity' to upgrade to the charts + ARAC subscription. This enabled charts on the EFB. Very convenient. I started a thread last night about how to add Simbrief PDF briefings to the EFB library so you can see them on the screen while programming the FMS. To me, the EFB upgrade alone made it worthwhile. It might not for you.

So my answer to your question is: I don't know... lol

Edited by MDFlier
spleling erorrs
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Number 3 for "if it was not for the NG3 credit I would not have bought it". But I did and I had no regrets until I heard that I was duped and that even with the credit I was going to have to pay full price of an entertainment product DLC:ph34r:

Oh and there are bugs. Just after landing at CYVR while taxing to the terminal it went to full throttle by itself with the throttle levers in the VC at idol and I ended up in the air! 😁

Edited by Avidean

The joke will be in every one when PMDG has a falling out with MS licensing fees and shifts focus.

• Like 3

I've only had the opportunity to fire it up once, start from cold and dark, enter a flightplan and fly for a few minutes. The price is steep, but I do like it. I did see some criticism of the wing textures, but I liked them. Seeing the PBR on the wing gave me a little smile, because the wing textures on the old version really show the planes age. Aside from that, it still has the familiar feeling of the old version.

I'm happy with the purchase so far, but I'm pretty easy to please. The FS2020 credit sealed the deal for me.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

IMHO, if you are a VR Flyer you’re going to see a massive difference. It’s clearly a new airplane compared with the NGX. I spent very little time flying the NGX in VR because the scale of the 3D modelling was off and the textures bad compared to the other PMDG products. However now they have raised the bar once again with this product. The scale is perfect, textures are great and the new features awesome. For example the EFB is in a good spot and easy to read in VR.

Amazing update and a must have for those seeking the best in VR experiences.  

Sadly no FS2crew yet. Brian said the NGXu is very different.

• Upvote 1

99 now and 40 when you want to fly it in MSFS ?

MSFS is entertainment, so why the high price ? When P3D came out they said that it had to be more expensive because it was training ...

So with the game MSFS it had to be less expensive.... But it is the other way round.

I only use the Prosim 737 which is superior to PMDG regarding all systems and they will deliver a MSFS compatible version for free ....

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

And also hardware like VRInsight CDU II and CP flight products , i havent heard anything from those camps.

I have a Throttletek B737 and all of the above working with the old NGX.

Simserver is a great Virtuel tablet option but i just love my CDU II

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

5 hours ago, Avidean said:

Number 3 for "if it was not for the NG3 credit I would not have bought it". But I did and I had no regrets until I heard that I was duped and that even with the credit I was going to have to pay full price of an entertainment product DLC:ph34r:

I’m not sure what this means? Form my understanding you’ll get a reduction in price equal to the amount you paid for the NGXu... which is 100$. I have no idea what the NG3 will cost, but I assume it will be more than a 100$. Thus, you will still have to pay the difference. Unless you have some additional information?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

PMDG has stated they expect the NG3 to be $139.99

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

The day of the $200 add-on edges ever closer.

• Like 1

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN