Sign in to follow this  
jlund

Difference between PC & Xbox version?

It's certain that there will be a Xbox version at a later date than the PC version, but what will the difference be?

What will not be possible with a Xbox version that we are used to in PC versions? I assume it's possible t get yokes / joystick & rudder pedals to Xbox?

I have never had a console (paystation, Xbox etc.) and don't intend to get one, just wondering what will be an advantage/disatvantage with the xbox version.

Will a Xbox be more powerful since the processor is only built for one purpose?

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Most of the time, PCs beat consoles. For AAA games like GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2, PCs allow for higher quality. It should be the same here. If you have old hardware and a console has just been released it could be different.

I think consoles these days allow more peripherals than years gone by but we'll have to see and if you have a serious cockpit setup it's hard to imagine why you'd want to use a TV.

PS While some people may claim there is, it's highly unlikely there will be frame-by-frame streaming of this sim. Doesn't make sense. Theoretically, if there were, there might not be any performance difference.

The advantage will be the same as it ever was, (almost) zero configuration options to get bewildered by and a guarantee that the game will work, and will work the same as every one else on the same system. It’s also generally cheaper to buy into console ecosystems and they guarantee you a certain level of performance for a good length of time. 

the disadvantages are essentially the same things, depending on your perspective. PCs are generally more capable machines, but with that comes the risk of a million different hardware and software combinations that can cause havoc on your quality of life. 

apples//oranges. 

RDR2 is quite a good example of the difference, although a bit extreme. On the consoles it works and looks great. On PCs (currently) it can look staggeringly good, but it seemingly a bit of a diva to get to work nicely, or even get past the loading screen. 

I think flight simmers sometimes have a bit of an extra layer in this where consoles = games, PCs = serious pursuits for serious people. This seems to be dying out though with the younger generations. 

Sorry one more thing on this. I do wonder whether having this game on the new Xbox might force developers to be a bit better at optimising their software. It would be difficult to sell a £100 plane if it inexplicably ran like a total dog on Xbox. And developers wouldn’t want a likely massive market like that to avoid their products. 

This is a copy of what I recently wrote in the XP11 forum (bravely I think) - and might answer the threads OP

12 months ago - Microsoft spotted an opportunity when the Video/Photographic world - moved the TV world - into the

HDR (High Dynamic Resolution) and a resolution 4 times Higher than was being used - ie what is generally called as 4K.

(8K HDR is already with us - and screens are bigger still)

The opportunity was to  take a large step with their successful High definition gaming machine X Box 360 - and bring out the 

brand new X BOX One - which used HDR graphics - 4K resolution to make a big impact on the visual quality of gaming

One of the first uses was sport - and their Formula One 2019 racing game for example - and Forza car rallying - moved 

this type game light years ahead. One can drive a Maserati at great speeds through the Lake district of England's countryside - Forza 4 - 

- or a Ferrari - around all the Worlds F1 tracks - with great photo based graphics and no worries about dropped - or stuttering frames.

.i.e. X Box ONE 4k HDR technology. That is high speed "simulation" - and actually using "the Game" is very "stimulating"

Microsoft have simply identified another source of use for the technology of gaming - to resurrect what they were once good at -

this time - in a fresh potential market - not only scenic high and low slow - not necessarily perfect simulation - but watch out DCM -

when we want to fight with our spitfires in perfect clouds - or bomb very visible real world Targets. MS are quite specific in what they say about different

platforms - and I will have a choice - use my X Box one and my 43"tv Monitor - or my mid range PC - with a Nvidia driven TV - which because PD3

and XP 11 in particular - can't cope with 4 K High Dynamic Resolution technology - I will use MS 2020 on either of my 2 platforms

I notice some aircraft developers are already making a big thing about their use of 4K PBRs in their new aircraft on offer - and I make 2 predictions of hardware development

1 - Thrustmaster make brilliant Steering wheels for X box - with accelerator pedals/brakes for their racing games - and they actually specially modified a common Hotas joystick for use with X Box "Aces"   - I have both - and a Flight Sim Yoke is just another steering wheel with power and brakes. Have you ever noticed an X box Ferrari wheel - more buttons than TM 16000

We simmers need a NEW inexpensive 'Steering Yoke - ( not currently in T/Masters stable of flight sim gadgets) - especially designed for MS2020 simulator - X Box or PC -

and they already have the Rudder pedals - and various quality joysticks for minor modifications.

2 - Microsoft have already climbed into bed with Samsung with their VR hardware - utilizing their MS mixed media developments -

so it wont be too long before we see MS 2020 VR - first in X Box (they need to compete with PS4) - then PC,

Edited by jaytee73

12 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

RDR2 is quite a good example of the difference, although a bit extreme. On the consoles it works and looks great. On PCs (currently) it can look staggeringly good, but it seemingly a bit of a diva to get to work nicely, or even get past the loading screen. 

This has more to do with RDR2 PC being a poor porting than anything else. And the fact that it is released in a world full of different hardwares compared to consoles having only few types of hardware combinations.

GTA5, when it was released for PC, had less bug in any way.

But to add further informations about your post, there are video comparisons running between the PC and the console versions. The testings showed that to achieve the console visual quality in the PC version you have to set options to medium. And this is with current consoles of course. What will happen with the new ones we shall see later on 🙂

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."