Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Toggling AF in Task Manager Halves CPU 0 Usage ?

Hello all

I've been investigating ways of reducing the CPU 0 usage on my o/c i7 6770K as it was almost always sitting at around 98-100% (P4.5 HF2).

During the process, I've just noticed that, whilst P3D is still running (full screen), if I switch to Task Manager, select P3D, untick <all Processors> and just tick CPU 0, then immediately swap back to ticking <all Processors>, when I return to P3D, my CPU 0 usage has dropped way down to between 40 and 50%, and there it stays, give or take a few percentages. I've tried the 'placebo' effect of this by just opening and closing Task Manager, but it's definitely the toggling of the AF that makes it occur.

I'm just wondering is anyone could explain what might be going on here and if there's a way of 'automating' the above without diving into Task Manager ? 

Regards

I read much about this here and in the LM forum and have come to the following conclusions:  First, it is wrong to think that core0 fully loaded is a bottleneck.  LM has explained that they design the work flow such that this is intentional and they take advantage of multicore environment. 

Second, I've played with the exact thing you observed that by toggling core0 off and on it seems to redistribute the loading.  However, I've never found that doing this has any impact on performance, frame rate, stuttering, long frames or anything that could be either quantified or qualified.  It's a big no deal.

• Like 2

Dan Downs KCRP

On 11/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, downscc said:

It's a big no deal.

Agreed.

I don't think Task Manager measures core usage reliably. I've been advised to try HWINFO or RTSS for this, which I will be doing starting today!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

10 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Agreed.

I don't think Task Manager measures core usage reliably. I've been advised to try HWINFO or RTSS for this, which I will be doing starting today!

Pete

I probably should have mentioned that all core usages were being monitored live in P3D using RTSS. 

On 11/12/2019 at 2:47 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Agreed.

Pete

My HWINFO application launches on startup of Windows.  It's great.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only reason I do the task manager affinity thing is that I have P3D config set to use a specific set of cores. I also use Process Lasso to move ancillary programs I use with P3D to cores not used by P3D. If I don't do the affinity thing, TrackIR movement is somethimes slow and stuttery, but after the affinity trick it's smooth as silk. With that said, I notice NO improvement to P3D fps or P3D stutter issues. I only ever experience stutters when my GPU can't keep up (DL and SSAA) or CPU bottlenecks (too high scenery settings with complex aircraft). Normally I get solid 30 fps (fixed in P3D) that doesn't stutter, except for the scenarios previously mentioned.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

For what it's worth, my usage of Process Lasso (not just the AM function) has increased the stability of P3D. I used to get random crashes quite often (Kernalbase, etc.) Now if I get one crash in 3 months, it is a lot.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

You guys that lose Process Lasso, do you run a script to start apps on different cores or just have Process Lasso switch after they start? I'm thinking of trying it out again since I've been getting more stutters lately.

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

On 11/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, Chapstick said:

I

4 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

You guys that lose Process Lasso, do you run a script to start apps on different cores or just have Process Lasso switch after they start? I'm thinking of trying it out again since I've been getting more stutters lately.

I bought the full version. With that, you just do the settings you want and you have the option to keep those permanently. So no scripts, zilch, nada. Easy ka-peasy.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I bought the full version. With that, you just do the settings you want and you have the option to keep those permanently. So no scripts, zilch, nada. Easy ka-peasy.

Agreed. I have Process Lasso explicitly assign P3D to all 8 cores, and restrict AS, ATM, et al to Core 1. When everything works it is nice and smooth and my overall system busy is around 70-80 percent. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick