Sign in to follow this  
GHD

FSX Activation

Guest allcott

>My second installation of FSX will be very expensive. Not>only will it cost me

>>This 'activation' is a step back, IMO. Good way to drive>>people away from flightsim though!>>Good way to make money ...>>Damned if they do, and damned if they don't. When FS required a CD or DVD to start, everyone complained because that's too onerous (and I would agree). Now FSX does away with needing the CD/DVD because you can activate once and forget it, just like many other software products, so why the complaint? Why do you see this as some money grubbing scheme designed to rob you of your cash? If people weren't out there pirating and illegally violating the EULA, then copy protection and activation wouldn't be needed. Unfortunately, there are many people who would rather steal than pay for things, and this makes copy protection very necessary.What's your solution, no copy protection at all? Blame the thieves, not Microsoft.

>What's your solution, no copy protection at all? Blame the>thieves, not Microsoft.I don't believe a business exist's that hasn't seen anything go missing or stolen?Get with it, it's a fact of life! If I were M.S or Bill Gates I would be content with the money I'm already making and continue to keep everyone happy.Thieves have existed since time began, it ain't gonna stop with FSX.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest allcott

>>What's your solution, no copy protection at all? Blame>the>>thieves, not Microsoft.>>I don't believe a business exist's that hasn't seen anything>go missing or stolen?>>Get with it, it's a fact of life! If I were M.S or Bill Gates>I would be content with the money I'm already making and>continue to keep everyone happy.>>Thieves have existed since time began, it ain't gonna stop>with FSX.There's a big difference between accepting things may go missing and helping the thieves to the van with their swag.MS are entitled to take reasonable precautions. I dont think Activation is unreasonable - it's certainly better than having to keep the disk in the drawer! I just wonder what impact activation will have on legitimate simmers who can't use more than a single installation of FSX at a time, but wish, for whatever non-piratical reason, to have more than one copy installed. Remember, never mind the fancy box and the DVD, you don't own FSX, only the licence to use it.Allcott

What a peachy outlook. You guys (referring here to the aforementioned thieves) are going to steal it anyways, so we'll just be apathetic to it. It's almost Buddhist. Nothing you can do to stop it, so why even waste the time to try, right?Except for the fact that not putting in some kind of protection (and being very vocal about your committment to it) has the terrible side effect of providing tacit approval of the piracy. It's analogous with saying "We're ok with you stealing our stuff". That sort of attitude towards IP leads to increases in infringment on two fronts, as now it more available, and people think that nothing will happen to them. Looking at each element, you see some of the reasoning behind the protective measures that companies employ, and the marketing behind them. First off, people steal things online because it's easy. They don't do it because they are poor, they don't do it because they are in need of whatever it is they are taking, they do it because the internet has made it nearly anonymous, available, and low-risk. I remember using dump editing to make a mix tape of my favorite songs from my friend's collection. It was a pain. Now there are hundreds of applications online to dump songs from an iPod and remove the DRM. And that's assuming I don't just grab the entire album off bittorrent. It's easy, and that's one of the reasons why so many people do it. I have some younger friends who haven't found the benefits of a steady income and budgeting yet, and can't afford the number of games or gadgets that I tend to pick up, and from time to time, they download them. But the second that it goes beyond just downloading a file and installing, they give up because it's too much work for them. Right there, the protection schemes are working, because they are eliminating casual piracy.Secondly, if people think the software company isn't actively trying to stop piracy, then more people are going to do it, because they will think it's a no-risk enterprise. Because what does the company care? They aren't even trying to protect their software, right?Anyways, the point is, saying that there shouldn't be copy protection on software because people are going to pirate it anyways is crazy. It's apathetic and makes the developers complicit in any losses they take to copiers, because they didn't do anything to stop it. If you lived in a high crime area, would you go without a security system on your house, because people might break-in anyways? Should we not have low-speed limits in residential areas because people are going to speed anyways?I'm just saying, that's a goofy argument to make.

>What a peachy outlook. You guys (referring here to the>aforementioned thieves) are going to steal it anyways, so>we'll just be apathetic to it. Read my original post again please, I've already ordered it from Play.com! I am not a thief so don't accuse me please.Have you ever copied an audio tape eh? Maybe even videotaped a program you wanted to see.............All 'copyright infringement' that's ignored.>Secondly, if people think the software company isn't actively>trying to stop piracy, then more people are going to do it,>because they will think it's a no-risk enterprise. Because>what does the company care? They aren't even trying to>protect their software, right?Most, including me, wouldn't know how to start pirating illegal software and don't want to. All I want is to be able to activate it without hassle as many times as I want? It's no good paying for disk's if they are no good to you is it? Should we not have>low-speed limits in residential areas because people are going>to speed anyways?Don't know, does this include the speed of police cars too?>I'm just saying, that's a goofy argument to make.Thanks, 'uncle' Donald

Dave Taylor gb.png

The simplified argument is that anti piracy measures are generaly ineffective against pirating. The only thing these measures do is make it harder for legal customers to use the product. The real contradiction is that its generaly easier for an enduser to use the pirated product because anti-piracy are ussualy a hinderance.Should we punish legal users in order to maybe getting a few extra sales? Also consider that a protection/activation program costs money to maintain. Money that could have been used to actualy improve the product...

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

>>What a peachy outlook. You guys (referring here to the>>aforementioned thieves) are going to steal it anyways, so>>we'll just be apathetic to it. >>>Read my original post again please, I've already ordered it>from Play.com! I am not a thief so don't accuse me please.>No no, that's why I cleared up the "You guys" part. I didn't mean that as people here. It should have been in quotes, indicating what you seemed to be suggesting that software companies say to pirates. I wouldn't accuse anyone of something I don't know about.>Have you ever copied an audio tape eh? Maybe even videotaped a>program you wanted to see.............All 'copyright>infringement' that's ignored.>I have copied audio tapes before. I think I said that somewhere in my post. That's why we now have DVDs and CDs with copy-protection on them. To make it harder to do so.>>Secondly, if people think the software company isn't>actively>>trying to stop piracy, then more people are going to do it,>>because they will think it's a no-risk enterprise. Because>>what does the company care? They aren't even trying to>>protect their software, right?>>Most, including me, wouldn't know how to start pirating>illegal software and don't want to. >Well, the hope would be that, thanks to protection measures, wouldn't know how to pirate software even if they did want to.>All I want is to be able to activate it without hassle as many>times as I want? It's no good paying for disk's if they are no>good to you is it?>I haven't counted, but reading this post makes it seem to me that more people (including myself) have suggested that MS activation processes are hassle-free. There is no evidence and only speculation to suggest that there would be anything keeping you from re-installing and reactivating the software as many times as you need to.>> Should we not have>>low-speed limits in residential areas because people are>going>>to speed anyways?>>>Don't know, does this include the speed of police cars too?>Where I'm from, police cars are required to follow posted speed limits unless they have both lights and sirens on.>>>I'm just saying, that's a goofy argument to make.>>Thanks, 'uncle' Donald> :DWe're on the same page regarding piracy, I think, but I don't think it helps anyone for them to just bend over and take it. And I certainly am not accusing anyone here.

Guest Kingair315

The real problem is, there are hackers who will find ways to bypass any form of protection. They post this information in hacker forums, etc. They seem to take any form of protection as a =challange= and do it just for an intellectual exercise. Those most interested in violating copyrights, can do so, in spite of protections. The only thing protections do is hinder honest people who would not hack it even if you paid them. I tend to upgrade my computers every two years, calls to MS are always long distance, and add to the cost of my software. Ive had to call MS six times already to get XP working, when drives crashed or changing drives to larger ones, and installing it on new computers. Yet, there are all kinds of bootleg copies out there, Ive seen them sold at swapmeets, Computer Swapmeets, et.al. Nuicance spammers send me emails telling me they will sell me OEM XP for half price or less. MS does not stop them from doing this, even though Ive forwarded the offers to them ever since XP came out, still keep getting offers from the same sources. If they went after these violators, they would make much more and could stop harrassing the honest user who purchased their software.

I think the activation can be pretty painless. As a copy protection concept, it is fairly benign. The issue is that an individual user is unlikely IMHO to buy multiple, full-price licenses to preinstall on various hardware, that only the main user will use. Now maybe there is the instance of kids having a computer and using FS, and also a hobbyist, but I bet that isn't all that common. If I'm right about this, activation won't result in significantly more sales = revenue for MS, just cause some ill-will with the user who will either forgo installing on his other hardware, resulting in a perceived loss of functionality, or drive him to search out the so-called "pirates", feeling some moral justification in obtaining an infringing copy of something he already owns. (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)scott s..

>>What's your solution, no copy protection at all? Blame>the>>thieves, not Microsoft.>>I don't believe a business exist's that hasn't seen anything>go missing or stolen?>>Get with it, it's a fact of life! If I were M.S or Bill Gates>I would be content with the money I'm already making and>continue to keep everyone happy.>>Thieves have existed since time began, it ain't gonna stop>with FSX.This is one of the most stupid business ideas I've heard to date.To me activation is the overall best solution to protecting your IP."ok Wal-Mart, people are going to steal anyway so don't put any resources into protecting your livelyhood, because you are already making too much money. So trash the cameras and anti-theft devices off your merchadise"Only thieves or very SELFISH people think this way.P.S. protect your investment/IP the best way you can MS...it is yours to protect.soapbox mode off

Guest BOPrey

But flightgear's Flight Dynamic's Engine is extendable. :-) It already come with 3 FDEs and one of them was written by NASA. Can you claim FS carries the same prestige? Things that are holding people from jump over to those two alternatives are the hundreds (if not thousands) addons from scenery to aircrafts to ATC to weathers that work with FS. These are the same reasons that FS has survived for all these years. X-Plane now supports 3D clickable cockpits, and extendable terrain system now, so let's see what addon developers can come up with. :)

Guest allcott

>But flightgear's Flight Dynamic's Engine is extendable. :-) >>It already come with 3 FDEs and one of them was written by>NASA. Can you claim FS carries the same prestige? Things that>are holding people from jump over to those two alternatives>are the hundreds (if not thousands) addons from scenery to>aircrafts to ATC to weathers that work with FS. These are the>same reasons that FS has survived for all these years. X-Plane>now supports 3D clickable cockpits, and extendable terrain>system now, so let's see what addon developers can come up>with. :) That's a good point. Unlike the `old days` when really only Fly! was a competitor, MS really DO have to give the customers what they want with FSX - it's a year later than previous, technology has advanced to the point where many addicted simmers are using two computers, three monitors, dual processors, SLI and multiple installations of FS to achieve whatever (Golden Wings, a clean vanilla install) so the activation process - new to FS but established MS procedure - had better accommodate the needs of the simmer or else there could well be a Departure Gate waiting to take us on an X-Plane.Now interestingly, we learn that many of the features that have become extablished in the serious computer user repertoire are not supported by FSX - dual core processors, SLI, PhysX chips etc. None of these are a problem in isolation, but if the activation requirements restrict the diehard user in any way whatsoever, it might be the straw that breaks the camels back. For me, and for the first time, I don't feel any loyalty toward FS. It might be that I haven't made the financial commitment to meet the needs of FSX - both in terms of hardware and adddon software, but the kind of moolah I'm going to have to shell out to get this program working anything like halfway decent I don't want no horse-manure from Redmond when it comes to getting the thing up and running. And that means if I want it on one or twenty-one computers! Allcott

Guest Kingair315

Well, I just bought a new computer, and transferred files from the old one using =their= program. Now, Im told that Im using a program that is not an official version, and must pay to update the program on my computer. I doubt Toshiba puts bootleg version of XP on their system.What surprise me, before copying the files from my other system, MS recognized my XP on Toshiba as a valid copy of their XP...