Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

FSX and undocking panels

Guest RonB49

As a matter of fact, I just thought to try that last evening and yes, it seems much better than FS9. I am using the FSX Demo. I was able to:o undock panels to three screens (2 on a PCIe card, 1 on a PCI card).o after undocking, I enabled full screen with minimum FR drop.o all three monitors appeared in the Display Hardware dropdown box.o I could move individual panels from screen to screen while still in full screen mode.I just had a short time to ecperiment with ti but I'll try to find more tine and report back. R-

Another problem with FS9 was that once you did all this and perhaps wanted dragged windows to show up on the different monitors at startup, the sim would not remember where you left them, and would, by default, display them all on the main screen again when you loaded the appropriate panel/aircraft. Saving the flight and renaming it "DEFAULT" did not solve the problem, if I remember correctly. MS figured out a fix for my buddy Joe King and I at the San Diego AVSIM convention, but unfortunately, I lost the text file that detailed the changes one had to make in the FS9.cfg file! Anyone have any ideas? Does FSX remember this?Regards,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest MatthewSchoenberg

>As a matter of fact, I just thought to try that last evening>and yes, it seems much better than FS9. I am using the FSX>Demo. I was able to:>>o undock panels to three screens (2 on a PCIe card, 1 on a PCI>card).>>o after undocking, I enabled full screen with minimum FR>drop.>>o all three monitors appeared in the Display Hardware dropdown>box.>>o I could move individual panels from screen to screen while>still in full screen mode.>>I just had a short time to ecperiment with ti but I'll try to>find more tine and report back. R-In FS9 you were unable to undock a "view", move it to another screen and put it in full screen mode.Are you saying that you can now undock views, put them on different screens and then go to full screen mode? In other words, could you have a forward, forward left and forward right view on three screens in "full" screen mode?If this is the case, how much frame rate reduction did you see. In FS9, you got hit big time in frame rates even though you could only use "windows" mode.Thanks.

Guest RonB49

"Are you saying that you can now undock views, put them on different screens and then go to full screen mode? In other words, could you have a forward, forward left and forward right view on three screens in "full" screen mode?"No, I'm not saying that at all; I didn't try that. All that I did was move 2D panels to othere screens and then went to Full Screen mode. In FS9, when you switched to Full Screen, some panels pop back over to the primary monitor. I'm not interested in multiple 3D views but I would expect that to have a negative impact on frame rate. R-

Yes - both with much better FPS and with remembering undocked locations.Since 2D panels no longer have forward right and forward left views - I have not been able to setup my monitors as I did in FS2004 with three monitors and a 90 degree field of view.I can put undocked view windows of other parts of the cockpit in those locations - but if I touch the hat switch, all three views move.I understand I will have to create camera positions and use those in place of the 2D views.

Reggie:Thanks for your reply. That was very helpful.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest bimmer4011

For anyone encountering this thread while searching for setting up multiple views with multiple monitors in FS9 or FSX, here is what I've done.In FS9, I added the [VIEW](s) commands with the appropriate (VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT, etc.) to my panel.cfg file. I then loaded a flight, opened up two new cockpit views (FORWARD_LEFT and FORWARD RIGHT) undocked them and placed them on the other monitors accordingly. I then saved the flight and exited the sim. Next time I loaded the flight, it placed the same undocked views to the same locations on the other monitors. (it takes some time getting the right perspective, but you'll figure it out)In FSX, I heard that you can only do multiple views in 3D cockpit mode but that is not true. I modified my panel. cfg to only have one instrument (HUD) in 2D mode. I created two new camera.views in the airplance.cfg file, these carera views contained the info for my FORWARD_LEFT and FORWARD_RIGHT views. I next open a flight, and open two new cockpit views (by default I run in full screen mode), and drag them over to the left and right monitors, resizing them to fit. All is well, except I have not been able to figure out how to get those two windows to show up in their supposed positions. FSX does not remember where the two undocked windows go. They still show up FULL SCREEN, but on the main (center) monitor, not on the side monitors. Anyone out there know how to hard code window positions in FSX?http://home.comcast.net/~bimmer4011/-- Check out our full motion military flight simulator of the German Alphajet.