Sign in to follow this  
HarryVoyager

Good resources for learning flight planning?

So, starting to poke around in civilian aviation flight sims, and have a wild hair to do a mostly VFR virtual Grand Tour around the world. What I'm wondering about is, how does one go about setting up flight plans for that sort of thing? Finding maps, airports in the intended region, planning flight paths, divert locations, etc etc etc? 

I'm not at the stage that I'm planning on doing this with air traffic control, just solo flying for now, but there's still plenty of whale to digest without that. I've done basic E6B calculations and nav in the WWII era sims I normally play, and want to expand on that for this crazy. 

Thank you, 

Harry Voyager

Edited by HarryVoyager

Simbrief.com, Skyvector.com, Vatsim.net have good resources for Novice to Pro also plenty videos on YouTube.com. For charts, just google the country of origin/arrival, most Governments provide free access to their aviation services which include VFR/IFR charts/procedures.

Edited by JustanotherPilot

steve southey

Can you provide us with an idea of what your knowledge level or experience is with flight planning at this time?  How do you plan to navigate your flight once in the air?  By gauges such as HSI and NDB?  By GPS?  or just visual?  You will need to use aviation charts.  Most are now available as interactive web pages.   See if these videos on youtube help you.  The first is founded on what you would need to learn for a license exam.  The second is a bit less tedious.  And when at youtube you will find other videos listed in the sidebar at the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidAjxPfUHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e13AgmgkM_Q

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Current experience level is minimal. Basically I've done visual navigation in IL-2 Great Battles between air fields around 30 minutes cruise time apart, and a single run across their Kuban map by time at speed, calculated with an E6B flight computer. I believe that one was about a 200m run up a coastline. Though I did end up at an air strip about 20 miles off of the one I was aiming for.

The objective is to be able to navigate both by gauges and visually, without dependence on external nav-aids beyond ILS type equipment. 

The objective schedule is to be able to do this by the time MSFS 2020 releases. 

I'm looking to get both visual navigation as well as instrument navigation because I want to be able to see a variety of interesting sites around the world, be able to set weather to local and have that unpredictably it this, and improve my ability to navigate without game aids in WWI and WWII combat flight simulators.

I'm hoping that practicing visual pilotage will also improve my positional situational awareness during and after engagements, as those tend to obliterate pre-planned routes. It is a touch embarrassing to finally defeat the bogey, only to realize you have no clue where you are... 

6 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

how does one go about

HV

an alternative you might consider is checking out local flying schools / colleges which do offer "courses" in all facets of flight training for all levels of licence ..... to pass the exams associated therewith (it's not all flying).

basic vfr navigation courses will introduce you to the many aspects of planning etc.

you will then be better equipped to find the data you need.

for now, cheers

john martin

4 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

Current experience level is minimal. Basically I've done visual navigation in IL-2 Great Battles between air fields around 30 minutes cruise time apart, and a single run across their Kuban map by time at speed, calculated with an E6B flight computer.

Here is a book that is in my library. A web search for the title should show you other options for securing a copy.  Learning from the building blocks provides an understanding that in my humble opinion is superior to attempts to learn from use of this or that flight planner or flight planner site.

I have flown MSFS and successors and competitors since 1982 and in bringing others along over the years this has been my recommendation.  It can get befuddling if you wade into it too quickly.  I suggest you stick with the most fundamental basics at first, such as flights from A to B, Then A to B and back.  Then A to B to C and from C back to A .  Learn the instruments in your aircraft and how to read them.  Then as you progress you may send me messages here via Avsim's private mail.  I will see what I can do to help.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352827072792?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=352827072792&targetid=474173633229&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9008000&poi=&campaignid=6469981107&mkgroupid=79220281122&rlsatarget=aud-762207186714:pla-474173633229&abcId=1141176&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBRBAEiwA7B66hWC15LJIaPTS5Uu53ZAtx_uI3Cuec3KVFY7zWrsJ1U3D6BJz_3KFDBoC4pMQAvD_BwE

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@fppilotThank you. Got it on order now, should arrive tomorrow. I'll probably bounce back and forth between Il-2 and FSX. I've got Il-2 set up better at the moment and it has a detailed flight path in the post flight report, including periodic altitude and air speed. The Rheinland map is about 180 miles to a side, and covers from Amsterdam to about Frankfurt, so should offer a variety of navigation options, and be interesting to do a historical vs current flights. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-618203

It also looks like Tacview supports FSX, so I should get that set back up and plugged into everything. 

I think tonight's goal will be to get back up to speed on climb, cruise, and max economy settings and speeds for the P-47D-28, and if time permits, see about getting everything working in the FSX A2A Bonanaza V35.

Thank you, 

Harry Voyager