Sign in to follow this  
crosswind

O & O Defrag Users

Fellow simmers,I just purchased O&O Defrag and I am about to defrag my PC. what is the recommended methed used for defragging your files, since there at least three?Thanks for any assistance in the matterHappy simmingKroswynd

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Hello,I just went to PERFECTDISK but I used O & O for a long time. My best results came with the "BY NAME" method - it takes a long time but I used it with success. I used the STEALTH to "touch-up" my syatem after each FS session.BTW - the switch to PERFECTDISK was because I believe that the PD logic works better/faster on my drives than the O & O.Cheers,Ron Sagel

Guest Calb

I use SPACE, which I think is the default. I haven't really investigated the others to see if there are any benefits (to me). The help file is pretty sparse.CalCYXX

Guest allcott

Complete/Name provides the format most advantageous for a fast startup. Files are defragmented by name, and of course most addon scenery bgl's have similar or sequential names.However, on a dedicated drive, with no other programs than FS, Complete/Access might work faster for you.In both cases use one of the sttandard defrag methods first, to provisionally defrgament the drive, before running the more complete one - which will take some time to complete on first pass.Allcott

Guest drmweaver2

I use SPACE for a quickie solution with a noticeable/acceptable speed gain when I feel things are bogging slightly.I then use the NAME option on an overnighter at least once a week.(Of course, I virus scan my machine once a day as I'm paranoid too.)YMMV

Thanks for the heads up guys...really appreciated. I will give it a shot before going to bed toniteKroswynd

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Guest psouthan

I use Complete Names, seems to be the best for me. It is a great program, well worth the money.Paul

I've also switched over to Perfect Disk after using O & O. I like Perfect Disk better overall.

Guest Calb

John, there's nothing paranoid in scanning regularly.What I'd like to know is why my firewall (ZA) shows OUTGOING data all during the time O&O is running? I find that highly suspicious. I just noticed that recently and have stopped using O&O for now. I have a home network -- maybe that has something to do with it? But I notice that whenever I launch O&O, it immediately wants access to the internet and if I tell ZA to refuse, O&O won't run. That would seem to negate the network idea.CalCYXX

O&O defrag is OK, but I'll take my Raxco Perfect-disk over it anyday... It simply can't be beat!

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest drmweaver2

From what I understand, O&O does the "check for updates" thing by default. I have configured it to NOT do so...OTOH, I had no problem telling McAfee firewall to deny access to the Net to this program on an individual prompt basis and O&O still ran.If you check their support forum, you might find a more complete/acceptable answer.Edited to add @07:49CST:From the O&O defrag website FAQ:"22. When I start O&O Defrag, my firewall tells me that someone is trying to access my hard drive. How can I solve this problem? The communication between the components of O&O Defrag (e.g. the Agent and the GUI) is based on TCP/IP. This communication takes place only internally, and doesn't access the internet. However, most firewalls are programmed to recognize internal IP communication, so you receive a warning message. You don't have to turn off your firewall! Simply open up port 50300. Since O&O Defrag automatically checks access privileges, there can be no external access over this port even if you are connected to the internet"So, my understanding was incorrect. Oh.. and my "configure to NOT check" had to do with my firewall setting. Sorry for any confusion.

>I've also switched over to Perfect Disk after using O & O. I>like Perfect Disk better overall.Interesting. Like many others, I've switched from o & O to Perfect Disk as well. Two reasons I did so: (1) Perfect Disk's interface is much cleaner, and (2) with O & O, I found that a NAME defrag was taking too long than what I thought was "healthy" for my HD. Since I have have a schedule set up to defrag once every two days, whether justified or not, I felt that a defrag that took much more than 1.5 hours three times a week was far too taxing on the HD (too much disk activity too often) than necessary. Perfect Disk takes a much shorter time (not much more than 0.5 hours)--and frankly, I can't tell whether there is any difference in performance between the two defrag applications.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB)