Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

The first MSFS add-on ever.

A curiosity tonight popped out of my head: does anybody know what was the first add-on ever for the MSFS series? And the first non-Microsoft-labeled add-on (if different from the former)? And for what version? And how much did it cost?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

This may not count, but I remember buying scenery for Sublogic II on the c-64 back in 83 or 84. It was the western United States and I can't remember the other one. I'm not sure whether it was Sublogic or another company that released the scenery. I have not idea how much it cost, though 19.99 comes to mind, and it was on a 5 1/4 floppy. ahh the memories.Ian.

First was Europe I, a Europe scenery add-on for FS95. I believe it was produced by the same design studio who produced FS at the time.The second was VIP Classic Wings for FS98, a collection of older aircraft like the DC-3, DeHavelland DHC1, Corvair's, Lockheed's, and Boeing 757 (I bought it mainly for the DC-3). Fairly controversial at the time. It was produced by Kenneth Kerr, one of the first persons who ever released payware aircraft during a time when freeware was how most folks felt the hobby should be maintained.After Kenneth released that, it seemed many started going in the payware direction.I have no clue how much I paid for them, but they were probably in the $10-20 range.

That was made for FS98, (the textures give it away). Aything FS5 and before did not provide much 'shaded texturing' at all within the textures. Even hills and mountains back then were simply colored polygons.

Microsoft or Official Publisher Addons:Flight Simulator II Scenery Disks... Vol's 1-7, along with Paris (i think). I rememeber riding my bike to the local computer store to pick up my local disc (either 5 or 7) :) As Ian mentions, they were official from the sim publisher, but addons none the less! I think I still have my scenery disk maps... the folded paper ones. Non Official Addons (Retail):Perhaps the Mallard (publisher) series of scenery addons for FS4 - Hawaii, Europe, etc. Those seemed to be the first third party developer scenery to hit the shelves. I can't speak for addon planes, though. (*guesses)

Guest Simpit

I remember a DC-9 from someone being among the first airliner add-ons- it seems like that was very early - I got it from compuserve...Derek

Somewhere in my boxes I've got all those Sublogic Scenery discs as well as their Star sceneries that had enhanced lights. Probably would find that Chuck Yeager flight simulator with them along with Jet.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I bought exactly the same: IFR scenery for Flight Simulator, expanding the number of airports in the US. Only strips, no buildings etc.It came in a nice binder and cost a fortune that days, I think I paid about $100 in The Netherlands.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I'm sure the Scenery disks were the first addon, but I'm trying to remember the first non-scenery addon. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but was it the Aircraft & Sound Upgrade for FS4, which included a 747, a basic glass panel, and waveform sounds (as opposed to the PC speaker tick-tick-tick)? I know that FS4 was when freeware addons kicked in after the Aircraft & Adventure Factory and Aircraft & Scenery Designer were released. This was also when third party utilities, such as SEE and various scenery management programs started coming out.Ah... those were the good old days. I remember fondly my very first aircraft download for FS4. It was a Delta L-1011 that looked wonderful for its time.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

"...the release of the first additional scenery diskettes SD1-6 by SubLOGIC in the spring of 1988." http://simflight.com/~fshistory/fsh/fsii.htmIt seems like FS2 had the first scenery add on.Actually, it was my start with FS on the ATARI. :)Here is the link to the FS History sitehttp://simflight.com/~fshistory/fsh/index.htmRodger

Guest Navy_Chief

I had a copy of that Sublogic Scenery for my C-64...Didn't the C-64 version also include a mode where you could fly over to an enemys land and shoot him down... You would fly bi-planes and declare war.Bryan