Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Proper balance of FSX Demo Settings??

Good morning everyone. I played around with the FSX Demo a bit the past few days. The following things I am not complaining about, just sharing my experience, and I am looking for advice of others that have found solutions. I notice that when panning in the VC, especially at first, the stuttering is immense, then they get better once the scenery and such are processed. I have been able to maintain 20-25 FPS without too much trouble (locked at 25). Which in FSX 20-25 fps is pretty nice compared to FS9 in a way if you can relate to what I mean.I also notice the pan speed is much quicker than the FS9 default. I have my speed in FS9 set at 700 which doesn't seem as quick as FSX. OK, my question is, what are the best settings users have found to avoid this stuttering but still have a good balance of graphics and eye candy overall? I realize that the final most likely will react differently, but I am not sold 100% from the performance end of things as I have no idea what I'm doing in FSX settings yet. I do know that there is going to be a way to tweak as we've all done with FS9. I just feel lost with FSX as I can't relate to the settings yet. I don't even know how to change the zoom % or the pan speed. I have gotten to know FS9 like the back of my hand, inside and out, so I think this will be the biggest adjustment for me. Any input to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, as I want to have some idea ahead of time when I get the final version. I am looking forward to the release. If I can make it run as good as FS9 on my rig, that will be fantastic. Thanks for your input everyone. I currently have the demo on an external SATA 7,200 drive. This drive connects to my MB via an expansion slot connector. Thanks again for your help in advance.

I think you shouldn't take too much to heart in the graphics settings department of what you see in the FSX Demo. FSX beta 3 is quite different to the demo and I'm sure the release version is different again. It is probably best to wait until FSX is released before getting too caught up in tweaking this puppy - all in good time!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks Gary for your reply. I do agree with you. I only wanted to try and get info as I could not get anything to look that good without sacrificing the performance alot. I am hopeful that the team optimized the final so we can get both. My system is far from a dog, but now I regret spending over $2K for it, as I hear this won't help with FSX.23 days and counting..... Thanks again for you input.

I played around with the sliders a lot last night and found onething for sure. The water quality slider can make a tremendousimpact on framerates. I found on my machine that the difference between the high and lowwater settings gave me a hit of up to 12 FPS. CraigASUSA8N Deluxe SLIAMD64 3500evga 7900 GT KO1 G Corsair DDR400 3200

I've been doing some testing of the Demo in Vista. I have much to do yet, but so far I haven't seen much impact from the terrain sliders. This may be due to the complexity of the terrain in the demo, though. Same thing for the scenery slider -- extremely dense didn't cause much impact. I've done some testing now with autogen, and that is a big impact. I'm up to autogen normal, and that is still playable, but I'm not sure about any higher. I also bumped up air traffic to 30%, but again without knowing what is in the traffic files it is had to know how much the slider actually is doing.I still have aniso filter set, water at 1.x hi, daytime, and clear weather. I suspect adding additional water, dusk blending, and clouds will have a massive effect.I have a problem in Vista in that frames are locked at Vsync (75 Hz), but as I push the sliders, that is not a concern :)scott s..

Hey guys, thanks for the additional comments. I am thinking at this point, the only true way to adjust will be with the final product. I am not too sure I like FSX's performance hit the way the demo was acting. The main issue I had was extreme screen stopping pauses when panning in the VC. It seemed that once the textures loaded, it improved alot. I am hoping this has been worked out with the final version. The only thing I may be wrong about is I have FSX demo on a external SATA drive. Being that it is connected directly to my MB, I assume this is the way an internal drive will act as well. This I'm not sure about. 19 days to go and we can find out I quess. Have a great night everyone.

There will be many-many posts on FSX settings when the final is released. As with the previous releases the magic combination is not available. That is there is no single combination of sliders and CFG file settings that will be universally the best. The variables in a PC's world are so numerous that such a magic combo of settings is probably unlikely.However, there will be discoveries of combinations, or single settings, that will make a difference in most cases. Or, there will be a setting that improves a function without compromising other areas. Since setting sliders and CFG variables is not "harmful to your health" it is good fun to try some of the variables uncovered by others. They may just be the magic bullet for you as well. Remember to backup the FSX.CFG file. Can't wait to start seeking the Holy Grail of settings!Dick near 5G8

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA