Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

Using acronis universal reboot.

Hi Everyone.

I am in the process of building a new PC. But dreading the laborious re installations.

I have acronis true image 2018-and as you will know,  it has the  universal restore.

Does any body have any experience of using it please. The youtube videos aren't very clear.

If any one has used it,can you please write a simple tutorial to start me off. In particular the part where it says to upload new hardware drivers

on a USB-does it mean the same USB as where the the universal restore is or separate USB?

Or is there any other simpler restore software.

This will be great help- as everyone knows it will take me many hours to reload via traditional method.

I am familiar with the system restore using the rescue media builder-this has been my life saver on many occasions after many failed "tweet" p3d attempt's. lol

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Qas 

Acronis is a great tool for that.

What I do at home is use an older drive and make an exact clone of the hard drive you want a back up of, then if it fails just put your new hard drive in and re-image the drive from your backup. It's like nothing ever failed.

Another way to do it is to have acronis perform a system image on another partition, ideally another hard drive altogether. You can even go as far as having automatic updates performed daily/weekly/monthly.

At work I manage 30 large multi-computer systems and what I do is have them perform a full back up every quarter, and every week a incremental backup, which only records the changes between the previous full backup. This way it does not take up so much HD space. Hope that helps.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Hi

Many thanks for your comments-have you backed up the image on a new computer. ie. new mother board, CPU and hard drive.

I am OK with creating backup on same machine and doing same machine restores.

But I just do not fully understand the instructions to restore the  image to a new machine.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Qas

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rwy12 said:

Hi

Many thanks for your comments-have you backed up the image on a new computer. ie. new mother board, CPU and hard drive.

I am OK with creating backup on same machine and doing same machine restores.

But I just do not fully understand the instructions to restore the  image to a new machine.

If you do a fresh install, you can save an image to a secondary hard drive with Acronis. Then if the main drive fails or you simply want to restore your computer back to new just select the file acronis saved and select restore.

Another way you can do it is to use a spare hard drive and have Acronis make a clone, then save the clone in-case of failure or simple wanting a fresh install again. When the time comes plug in the spare imaged drive and have Acronis make a clone to your current c drive and once its finished you unplug the spare drive and put it away for save keeping. And now your computer is like new again. Keep in mind you will need to perform any updates to windows and software made after the clone. Also the one thing to note here is you need to be aware which drive you are cloning to and from, or you could end up cloning your saved back up with the current OS. vs. the other way around as you intend.

The choice is yours its all in how you set it up. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+