Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Which payware aircraft FSX ready?

You've probably already checked out the situation for *your* favourite payware craft :)Which current payware aircraft if any will be ready to run in FSX? Some suppliers are talking about major rewrites so no point in buying their FS9 product at this stage and expecting a free or low cost patch to FSX. --Bryn

Guest allcott

As no developer has yet got their hands on a release copy of FSX, only the betas, you won't get an answer at this time. All you can do is go by their websites and see what the policy statement says, free update or low-cost upgrade, Even then the promises dont mean much until the real thing hits computers, even though many developers have been working closely with FS this time round. Nobidy knows what might have been screwed up, changed or even fixed in the run up to Gold.Ask again in about 6 weeks.Allcott

All the Carenado planes I have tried work fine.I don't think I've been able to get the DF Archer working 100%, but I think others have.I saw somebody say the F1 ATR worksUnfortuanately Bill Lyon's planes are crippled because they use FS98 gauges. I and somebody else brought up the fact that you get a little popup window for every FS98 gauge you get every time you load a plane that has them, which is a real pain, with Mike Z at the conference. I'm not sure he really got what the issue is. He tried kept trying to change the subject to the fact that they can't keep supporting everything forever (which I don't have a problem with), and the problem that we kept trying to hammer home is, if you don't support something, tell me once and then go away, don't make me close a hundred windows to keep going. I know you don't "support" FS98 gauges anymore, and I'm fine with that.He also wouldn't answer my question "What does 'We don't support FS98 gauges' really mean?" IOW, do they not work at all, or is it hit or miss. If hit or miss, I really don't want to have to press a button a hundred times.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Thomas,There are really two, separate issues happening whenever you "load" a new aircraft's panel/gauges.Each gauge is examined by FSX and two things occur:1) if the gauge is FS98 you will get the popup box that you've seen. While ACES certainly could have written the code to simply ignore FS98 gauges and simply not load them, users would be confused when they saw a panel without some (many? most? all?) gauges missing. At least this way, they will know in advance that some gauges aren't supported and can make a list of 'em for replacement with more up-to-date versions.2) does the gauge have a "Signed Certificate" indicating it is from an approved, "Trusted Source." a) If so, you have the option of permanently approving all gauges that have this same "Signed Certificate" automatically. Any new gauges with this "Signed Certificate" will be installed automatically. :( If there is no "Signed Certificate," then every gauge will have to be manually "approved" by the user. This "approval" is written to the fsx.cfg file and you will never be questioned about it again... unless you replace the gauge with a newer version, in which case the 'hash signature' has changed, so the sim will ask you again for "approval."I will say that from a developer's point of view, not having a "Signed Certificate" is a major pain, because every time I make changes and recompile a gauge for testing, I have to manually "approve it" before seeing my changes... I now have over 100 such "acceptances" for the same gauge... :-erks

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My and the other user's point was, tell me once that there is a FS98 gauge and let it go from there. In fact, even better, remember that I said ok the next time I try to fly the plane. From my point of view, it is lazy programming to allow an error message to pop up more than once for any given error condition. The user should not have to close 70 windows with no other recourse to move on to the next stage.I also felt that the message "FS98 gauges are not supported" is a little vague. It would be nice to get a message instead, "Well, maybe they will work and maybe they won't, it kinda depends". You know what I mean :) .Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg