Sign in to follow this  
Superdelphinus

Quixel - photogrammetry company

Has been bought by epic games - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-12-megascans-becomes-free-for-unreal-engine-users-following-epics-acquisition-of-quixel?utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=internal-links&utm_campaign=2019-11-12-megascans-becomes-free-for-unreal-engine-users-following-epics-acquisition-of-quixel

Apparently Asobo have used megascan assets in their games before (plague tale, for example). The main benefit of this acquisition seems to be for UE4 developers, but given that Epic has also ‘slashed’ the price of megascans I wonder if some of them will end up in msfs, perhaps for key landmarks or something?

• Like 2

I played A Plague Tale extensively and surely I was wondering what if they can manage to utilize quixel in MSFS the same way they did in Plague tale. I mean if any of you have played Plague tale, its a gorgeous looking game. Quixel megascans are something that will be revolutionary for MSFS specially for Airport sceneries.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

These assets are mainly quite small for as far as I know. For large buildings and landmarks you'll quickly need aerial photogrammetry. Also it might be a little expensive (both financially as well as performance wise) to use photogrammetry for lower detail buildings that are intended to be only visible from the air. Unless you want meticulous details from close up you're better off to model these landmarks by hand. 

• Upvote 1

Photogrammetry is nothing new of course. I played the Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my Rift which had plenty of great photogrammetry. Elder Scrolls 6 will feature a lot of photogrammetry in it's new title although thats probably a couple of years away. It's exciting technology but it does of course mean game developers have to scout out locations to capture which can be very time consuming.

Quixel looks a little different, they scanned 3d prop and environment art to be placed in a game engine, but the art being photogrammetry is super detailed and life like. Doesn't sound like therefore before we see the fruits of the purchase although I suspect Epic have already used quixel in some previous games.

Photogrammetry for aircraft interiors might be a thing. I want the most detailed 3D old pizza boxes slopping around inside my plane (and with real time physics and rag doll pizza slices falling out). 😎

38 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Doesn't sound like therefore before we see the fruits of the purchase although I suspect Epic have already used quixel in some previous games.

Yes I was thinking more that they use some of the environmental details in particular areas they want to shine - maybe a few main airports or something. I don’t know what the extent of the megascan catalogue is - whether it is all ‘just’ environmental stuff (I know they have a few structural bits and bobs too) or whether they have scans of famous buildings etc that aren’t on the map type photogrammetry catalogues. 

14 hours ago, Bottle said:

Photogrammetry for aircraft interiors might be a thing. I want the most detailed 3D old pizza boxes slopping around inside my plane (and with real time physics and rag doll pizza slices falling out). 😎

They actually used laser scanning (a form of photogrammetry if I'm correct?) to create at least a subset of the default aircraft in MSFS.