Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Orbx - TrueEarth NorCal - VERY soon!

Do you think there’s much visible difference between the SD & HD versions?  

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

20 minutes ago, jon b said:

Do you think there’s much visible difference between the SD & HD versions?  

Not sure, but there's screenshots of both in the previews section 🙂

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

just been browsing them thanks. I’ve got the space I think  so HD , Cheers 

Edited by jon b

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, jon b said:

just been browsing them thanks. I’ve got the space I think  so HD , Cheers 

I have read a quote of John Venema right now which might be of interest for some of you:

Posted 13 hours ago

On 11/11/2019 at 8:47 PM, Badl4ndz said:

John, which version is recommended for use with VR? SD or HD? I'm currently using TE GB with my Oculus Rift S and i'm pleased with the performance.

John Venema:

Depends on if you fly low and slow or not.

I'd go with HD if you like skimming valleys and towns or go with SD for faster loading, less GPU usage and flying > 2500ft.

I have SD installed myself and did a lovely VR flight in my Oculus Rift S yesterday from KHAF Half Moon Bay to KSQL San Carlos and I did not really notice the difference in texture quality once I was into my climb over the hills.

Keep in mind that buying HD gives you both options because you get access to SD at no cost.

Found on ORBX Forum  here  .

And here you can find  TE US NorCal HD XP11 My Final Shots  from Iain Emms.

Edited by KBUR
  • Upvote 1

You'd like to think that, as good as Washington is, the same team would generate Oregon then NorCal - don't think so.

5 hours ago, olderndirt said:

You'd like to think that, as good as Washington is, the same team would generate Oregon then NorCal - don't think so.

Oregon was/is very disappointing...in hindsight I could have passed on it...but...I do think, that with the published disappointment on the ORBX forums from some purchasers of that T.E.....I think that that 'blow back'  did effect/nurture/enhance----- the quality and content of their soon-to-release; North Cal....yes, I think so...and future releases in the series, to boot!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

9 hours ago, KBUR said:

I have read a quote of John Venema right now which might be of interest for some of you:

Thanks for that KBUR, yes that last sentence makes the purchase choice easy, if you get both packages with the purchase of the HD version then that’s got to be the way to go , for me at least. The notes on VR are interesting, I’m thinking low and slow pleasure flights over the Bay Area are going to be my main use for this TE.

I have the entire GB TE set and  often use that for low level  VR flights through the Scottish and Welsh mountains in the JF hawk at 420kts, my rig seems to cope ok with that.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

I actually found Oregon quite good after they copped the criticism on the chin about the ortho and released a service pack that substantially improved the coloring. For the 3D models and overlay alone Oregon is worth it, plus it will give me a seamless contigious scenery area from BC down to Mexico once Socal is released.

I never imagined the entire west coast would be available with this level of detail and modeling in X-Plane, it's marvellous!

I note the SD version will be 2M per pixel and the HD version 1M per pixel.  Just for comparison with my existing TE products can anyone tell me the resolution of the TE GB series?I can’t seem to find it in the products description notes, thanks.

• Upvote 1

787 captain.