Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

So you think you have enough RAM ... (series)

44GB usage on a default install (almost default)

uc?id=1YMlrvhW04MLewzJ8XdfyTaU8sCDpGlgv

verified with several tools

uc?id=1dm0MwV6zLlwaVZ-G-HoV2f42slzo7itt

This is on my Development PC with 128GB RAM with some allocated to a RAMDisk.

Cheers, Rob.

I just recently upgraded to 32gb ram☹️

I was thinking going for 64.....

Pierre

32 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

44GB usage on a default install (almost default)

verified with several tools

This is on my Development PC with 128GB RAM with some allocated to a RAMDisk.

Cheers, Rob.

Well in normal flight scenario with 3d party add-ons you never will see that load, or your system would be crawling 🤣 Amazing to see the load nevertheless thanks for sharing and yes I think I have enough for now...

Edited by awf

André

Thats default, no tweaks ... not sure why, I’ve reported to LM ... this seems not by design or there is some OS, BIOS issue?

Cheers, Rob

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Thats default, no tweaks ... not sure why, I’ve reported to LM ... this seems not by design or there is some OS, BIOS issue?

Cheers, Rob

How can that be a default install?  Do you mean completely vanilla?  Surely you have some aftermarket scenery eating into that ram total?

Otherwise, I'd think you have stumbled upon a memory leak or something similar?

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Sure that majority of RAM is allocated to P3D? Maybe you left your ramdisk running.

To quote Bill Gates... "640K ought to be enough for anybody." 

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2

Intel 4790K CPU, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

5 hours ago, Evros said:

Sure that majority of RAM is allocated to P3D? Maybe you left your ramdisk running.

Oops, that was it ... thought I had it disabled.   Phew ... and thank you!

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

To quote Bill Gates... "640K ought to be enough for anybody." 

There are times when I miss those days :sad:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters2.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

There are times when I miss those days :sad:

LOL.. 640K was never enough for me.. I remember the amount of time I wasted dealing with the highmem area and editing the DOS config.sys to have as much as memory possible.

S.

1 hour ago, simbol said:

640K was never enough for me.. I remember the amount of time I wasted dealing with the highmem area and editing the DOS config.sys to have as much as memory possible.

640K would have been sheer luxury! My first PC, and the one I wrote my successful word processor on ("Wordcraft") had only 8k initially.  That was the Commodore Pete 2001, in late 1977.

Lots of memory encourages "bloatware". I've always tried to make sure never to use more memory than necessary, a habit developed from those days.  And generally small == fast. :-)

Pete

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete Dowson said:

That was the Commodore Pete 2001,

My dad gave me a Commodore 16 when I was 10 years old.. I had so much fun with it writing my first lines of code there.. but saving and loading the programs using magnetic tapes was a very slow lol.. 

S.

1 hour ago, simbol said:

LOL.. 640K was never enough for me.. I remember the amount of time I wasted dealing with the highmem area and editing the DOS config.sys to have as much as memory possible.

S.

that were times ... autoexc.bat, config.sys, highmem .. .I loved to play with those. It gave me the feeling I would understand computer  ... what a misjudgment.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 3

- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.9 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSD 1TB (P3Dv4.4). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+Vector+OLC, all FTX Regions - NO TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, SEA, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. ASP4+ASCA+EnvTex/EnvShade+ REX SF3D. F1 GTN650+750. AIG OCI/UTL AI-Traffic.

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Oops, that was it ... thought I had it disabled.   Phew ... and thank you!

Cheers, Rob.

So you are using a RAM disk for P3D. Does it make texture loading faster? Maybe I can shift some or all ai a/c to a RAM disk. Would that make sense in anyway?

- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.9 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSD 1TB (P3Dv4.4). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+Vector+OLC, all FTX Regions - NO TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, SEA, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. ASP4+ASCA+EnvTex/EnvShade+ REX SF3D. F1 GTN650+750. AIG OCI/UTL AI-Traffic.

5 hours ago, Nemo said:

So you are using a RAM disk for P3D. Does it make texture loading faster?

Depends on what you are comparing it to ... if you have and SSD/M.2 then you'll see NO difference at all.  If you have an HDD, then you'll see a difference.

5 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

That was the Commodore Pete 2001, in late 1977.

You're famous ... or was that the Commodore PET?  hehe

TRS-80 "color" computer (motorola) $900 1981 ... my folks helped me buy it as Xmas gift in addition to some cash I coughed up from my Pizza delivery job (note to anyone else doing pizza delivery, yes even in the 1980's tips were good and I "felt" rich).

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1