Sign in to follow this  

Hello to you all,

Just for your information.  I have just upgraded my hardware and this is reflected in my signature. 

I finally settled on the AMD CPU (9 3900x) on an ASRock X570 Taichi motherboard. Also using 2 sticks 16GB Corsair vengeance 3200mhz RAM to upgrade from my old i7 2600k on ASUS motherboard.  

I have moved the motherboard and CPU to a second networked computer to run things like Simbrief, Navigraph charts etc.  I will move as much as possible to this computer and will seek advice on this a little later on.

For the moment, I am achieving FPS of between 60 and 110 (fluctuating wildly) on P3D but have fearful stutters and am currently trying to eliminate those, so any suggestions would be helpful. I would be very happy with a stable 50FPS. and I am experimenting with fairly high graphic settings. XPlane 11 is currently fairly stable on about 52FPS

All in all, I guess I could not be happier with my choice, although I have to admit I went back and forth between the i9 9900k or ks so many times it made me dizzy.  In the end I  opted for the Ryzen, hoping like crazy that MSFS, XPLane12(with Vulkan???) and P3D with possible new engines, will utilize the extra cores/threads better than our current platforms.

I would also like to thank everybody who contributed to my confusion and ultimately to my decision.

Regards to all

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Jim,

I cannot see your post mate. I got a notification that you posted ... went to my notifications and clicked but I only get my original post.

This has been happening a bit lately where notified posts are not showing up on my system. It is also intermittent as most times everything works normally.

I have tried logging out. shutting down AVSIM and then starting again. but your post has stillnot shown up.

Any ideas?

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

What kind of P3D settings do you have?  Can you post some screenshots of those?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Lock your FPS.  This is the number one remedy of inconsistent frame times when the hardware is fast enough.

Hello guys,

Many thanks for your responses.

My details are below.

Monitor is a 40 inch LED 1080p TV (only one in use att) Refresh rate is 30hz

.P3Dv4.5 settings.... Please note P3D is Installed and run as administrator on a stand alone 256gb SSD (Drive D)

1. Display

FXAA - OFF

AA 8xssaa

Texture filterings Anistrophic 16 x

Texture Resolution Medium - 1024x1024

VSync ON - Triple buffering - Target Frame Rate - unlimited

2. World  - Terrain

Level of detail radius - Ultra

Tesselation Factor Ultra

Mesh Resolution - 5m

Texture Resolution - 30cm

World -Scenery Objects

Complexity - very dense

Autogen  and scenery draw distanc - high

Autogen Vegetation density - very dense

Autogen building density - very dense

World - Water

Water Detail - Medium

Reflections - Only cloud reflections ticked

Special effects - both detail and distance - low

3. Lighting

Enable HDR - ticked

Brighness - 1.09

Bloom - 0,56

Saturation 1.18

Dynamic reflections - off

Dynamic lightingh ... Landing lights and Lens Flare - all ticked

Shadow quality - high

Shadow draw distance - medium

Casting and Receiving.

CAST - all ticked except Particles and no shadow flagged content

Receive - all ticked except simulation objects

4. Weather 

Visual settings

Cloud draw distance -  60mi

Cloud coverage density - maximum

Detailed clouds - ticked

Volumetric fog, detailed precipitation, and windshield effects - all ticked

Thermal visualization - none

Enable Turbulence ticked and Rate of change - no change

I am now finding that stutters have slowed down but... my frame rate is now fluctuating very erratically from as low as 8 FPS  to about 95 FPS. Stutters are coinciding roughly with the very frequent plummets to single digit frame rates,.

I am flying the Carenado DA62 out of ORBX YBCS (Cairns) using REX Skyforce 3D .. no other addons as yet.

I hope that helps you guys and ultimately helps me LOL

Thanks for your interest.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Congrats on the new system. 👍

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I am now finding that stutters have slowed down but... my frame rate is now fluctuating very erratically from as low as 8 FPS  to about 95 FPS. Stutters are coinciding roughly with the very frequent plummets to single digit frame rates,.

Something is really wrong here, Tony.  Given your monitor/TV refresh rate of 30Hz and that Vsync is enabled in the sim, your frame rate should not be jumping up to 95.  And the fact that your frame rate is dropping to as low as 8 means your system is getting hit pretty hard during those times. 

Insure that the monitor/TV is being seen by the system and sim as running at a true 30Hz.  If all seems well with the hardware then try running RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) and creating a profile for P3D that will set the "Scanline Sync" feature to match your 30Hz.  When set properly RTSS will limit your TV's frame rate to 30 FPS.  Be sure to read the RTSS "Hints" tool tips to learn more about configuring the app.  Also very important when using RTSS, make sure Vsync and Triple Buffering are disabled in the sim and FrameRate is set to Unlimited.

Regarding the 8 FPS lows... as a test please set the AA in sim to 4xSSAA and disable Dynamic Lighting.  Screen shots of your Nvidia Control Panel profile for Prepar3d would be very helpful here for troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Greg