Sign in to follow this  
Tony G

Freeware Aircraft...

Download the panel of your choice, use the FS9 flight planner and print the result, load fuel and payload plus whatever fudge factor makes you comfortable, take off and navigate using navaids or built in GPS and follow ATC instructions, land. Enjoy!DJ

Mostly, being lazy and time challenged, I fly using VOR and ADF. I don't even know how to use the GPS or any FMS (though I do plan to learn soon). This is true whether I am flying a Cherokee or an ATR or a 747.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Hey everyone thanks for the replies,>>I hope no offense was not meant in any of them seeing to it>that none was taken. Only I feel as if I were just bashed for>being a retard. I just want to know what a majority of the>users here in this forum do with planes that are basically>flying models (POSKY,iFDG etc.) do you use the default GPS or>what. I'm not saying "Help me I need an FMC" I simply wish to>know how people simply go about accomplishing such tasks.>>Sorry,>>Tony N.Hi Tony, I think you and I are reading 2 different sets of resonses to your original question. From your response it seems that you feel that someone is abusing you. Maybe it's a matter of interpretation or maybe you might be a little sensitive.In any case seeing who has responded to you so far and having a good idea of their willingness to help people I'm sure that their responses are not to make you feel like a retard. They are answering the question you asked which was as I read it, "how do we get from point A to point B with or without FMC?" Those are the answers you have been getting.Depending on your experience in this hobby, your knowlege level in aviation and navigation, whether you are a real world pilot or a wanna be and other factors depend on how you get from point A to point B.I have no idea of how or what a "Flight Management System" works or why I should use it. I don't need it in the tpye of flying I choose to do. Since I only started in this hobby with FS2002 you could imagine my glee when I learned that the GPS would take me to wherever I asked it to or close enough for me buzz the tower:-) In FS9 for some reason it wasn't as easy, but it still works for me.I still don't know how to determine V1 and V2. Doesn't matter. As time goes by I'm picking up information that is getting me closer to that knowlege. I read one responder sid that they like flying dead reckoning (which pretty much desribes my landings:-)) and another say "give my a stop watch and I'll fly the Alps blindfolded." They were not kidding or making fun. They are serious in their abilites and the capabilities of this simulator. Remember that this sim can be set to lose all avionics and nav aids:-) So to answer your question...Depends on what your are flying, how high, or how low. A Sopwith's FMC is the pilot and his knowlege of which way is up, and "If it looks hard, and you can't see through it...It usally is and trying to will have consequence." :-)I don't think you are a retard. You asked a good question which interested me.Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

If you look at the Tinmouse II panel, for instance, there is an option for the CIVA panel, which is sort of a poor man's FMC. If you want to fly RNAV routes, that's kind of hard without the default GPS as an aid, but in most cases you can build flight plans that use radio navaids. It probably helps to have some IFR enroute charts to better plan.There are many nice panels out there for freeware aircraft, though the iFly744 is the main one I can think of with a pretty inclusive FMS. There was also the Fanda Dash-8 with an FMS, though it didn't have all the bells and whistles. But just about all panels will get you an LNAV-like capability with the "GPS-NAV" switch.scott s..

Many of the "classic" aircraft panels have very challenging navigational needs. Some with only single axis auto-pilots.Trimming and balancing the aircraft are critical.There are addons to panels available like drift gauges which help calculate the impact of wind.Overall, you realize that a lot of pilots were really lucky in the past - and you realize why so many were lost.One of my longest real world small aircraft flights was PGUM-PTYA and back in 1973. That was in a base flying club two seat Cessna. I wasn't the pilot.All that aircraft had was a wet compass and an NDB receiver.Now today there is no way in heck that I'd try that without a good GPS.All user aircraft are basically "flying models" - the choice depends upon the workload you want - and how you want to work.FS is focused on the simplest procedures possible to make accomplishing flights possible for the most people.If you want to focus on systems procedures - some of the PMDG and Level-D aircraft are excellent. If you want to focus on just having a simple flight, some of the default panels will work fine - in either default aircraft or some with more visual focus.If you want to focus on navigation and complex engine systems management - some of the very old aircraft like the Comet or HJG DC-8, Convair, B707 aircraft are available. Or the old recips - like the DC-7 and Connie....For me - one of the greatest things about FSX is the ultralight - and I've NEVER flown that type aircraft in FS98, 2000, 2002, 2004.It's a real kick to fly low and slow - but I'm also learning who so many people die in those aircraft - because it is really easy to overstress with a quick turn or trying to pull out of a too steep descent.

Guest kurtj

>I'm not bashing anything in this post but rather invoking>information from responses within it. After having seen>screenshots of common freeware aircraft like iFDG and POSKY>combined with the desire to fly something besides LDS and>PMDG, I have always wondered how in the world do people manage>to get those aircraft from point a to point b with just the>model that each of the before-mentioned groups supplies ? Is>it just a simple matter of a panel quickly downloaded from>AVSIM ? Do alot of people just use a VOR to VOR type flying ?> With no FMC, I don't understand how people do it and I'm>hoping through this post someone can explain to me thus.>>Sorry for wasting anybody's time,>>Tony N.I download a panel, sounds after the aircraft. I use the default GPS like the FMS to fly the aircraft. I have made some rather nice trips do so as well.

Guest RotorRick

Me too: I'll download the aircraft, find a panel for it (or multiples in case I like one over the other), then I'll search out sound packs with the relevant engine or plane, then repaints...and assemble. Once assembled I test fly, and see if I need to add my prefered tweeks (for myself only, unless I get permission from creators to post them).After that, navigation is ENTIRELY up to how much or how little time I need to fly it: if it's not that much time and I have the attention to devote to it, I'll fly it by VOR's, bearings and NDB's. If I don't have time, or it's an extraordinarily long distance (like intercontinental flights), then I just flip the GPS switch and let it follow that... I mean how else would I fly from Seattle to South Africa? :DAs for an FMS, I've actually not tried one before. As important as I figure it would be for the real world of airliner operation, I've just not used one in FS2004.