Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Windh

Roads and Bridges in FSX

I am curious if soneone can comment as to how the roads and bridges are in FSX. When FS9 came out, bridges were missing etc. I know they patched it and fixed the bridges. I currently use USA Roads and in a lot of cases, the roads do not match the bridges or the coastlines. If you want accurate roads, will USA roads (or a similar program) be required in FSX or did they inclued them this time and how are the bridges. Thanks Brad

You will still need addons for roads and bridges, i fly mostly in Denmark, and i have a hard time even finding a road there.

>You will still need addons for roads and bridges, i fly>mostly in Denmark, and i have a hard time even finding a road>there.I haven't been in Denmark, but the US seems to be swarming with realistically placed roads. I flew the route I take to work in the trike, and it was pretty dead on, right to the exits off the highways.

The roads are there - my home town is missing.Though I guess the population density deal hits a 1 mile square town with fewer people than a fully loaded A380. :-(

>The roads are there - my home town is missing.>>Though I guess the population density deal hits a 1 mile>square town with fewer people than a fully loaded A380. :-(Must be like Alice, Texas which looks more like a trading post in FSX than a town... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

because the data used to place scenery only covers western europe and the US, all other areas, just like in FS9, will be bland and generic

>because the data used to place scenery only covers western>europe and the US, And Japan. :-)>all other areas, just like in FS9, will be>bland and genericBut 2 times less generic. FS9 had 13 regions. FSX has 24.

Guest archtx

Reggie:How is the Addison airport in FSX? I used to fly in there a lot...and my son got his private there. As to population, there SHOULD be tall buildings all around there!

The difference between 9 and X is quite obvious IMHO... The US is pretty much packed with countless roads, but then again, just completed another VFR flight in Western Europe just with a VFR map and flying by the roads worked great. What I found much more difficult was spotting rivers, but maybe my rig is too slow, it had some problems reloading scenery fast enough all the time anyways (AutoGen etc). As far as numbers go, I think the 180K roads in 9 were increased to about 24,000,000 in X IIRC. :)

>because the data used to place scenery only covers western>europe and the US, all other areas, just like in FS9, will be>bland and genericand CANADA ????al(a canadien, obviously)

Guest Calb

Well, Canada isn't too bad. Lessee......I live in CYXX and I can find the exact location of my Condo Bldg because the main roads are very accurately depicted. Vancouver, Toronto are well represented with thruways and traffic. And BTW, the traffic you see on the main highways is sensitive to both time of day and day of week. During rush hour, the traffic is heavier than in the AM or late at night. There is no rush hour on weekends. How's that for detail?Toronto harbor has quite a few container ships and you'll see birds if you overfly one. Bridges? Well.....I think they are better than FS9 but I haven't checked that closely.Unfortunately, rivers are not well done, at least they don't run as far as they should. This is all in Beta 3. I know there have been many changes and improvements in the release version so we'll have to see what they did.Cal

I hate to say it Bill, but Alice has a bigger population than my home county in Arkansas. Heck this little suburb of Wylie where I live now would be one of the ten largest cities in Arkansas.There is not one single building in FSX - at least FS2004 had a town landclass area.

I've actually avoided KADS until now.I think one of the keys to happiness in FS is to not fly out of airports with which you are very familiar. Bound to be disappointed.In general it fits better in FSX - the layout is more recognizable and building types are more appropriate.I can recognize all three FBO ramps, the FlexJet hanger, event the building where my company keeps their G-200.The west side T-hangers no longer run across Midway Road. The water tower just east of Addison Road is a large fuel tank now.... The FS2004 one was almost perfect.Traffic moving on the tollway - never saw it so empty - but I guess realistic 5-6 pm northbound traffic would have so many polygons of cars that it would bring FSX to it's knees.The defunct Frisco airport has rotated about 80 degrees.

Guest RobA

Bill, As I remember Alice, TX from my Navy stint at Corpus Christi, it was a trading post..!!!! ;-)Best, Rob

>Bill,> As I remember Alice, TX from my Navy stint at Corpus>Christi, it was a trading post..!!!! ;-)>>Best, RobWhen I owned South Texas Radio and Telecommunications Service and lived in Kingsville, I frequently had to drive through Alice on the way to my ranch customers and tower sites. It was a fairly good sized town back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator