Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Be careful what you wish for: a cautionary note

It's a unique situation, because while I and many others are very grateful for all those third party addons, the need for a lot of them is only created by the countless flaws in our core simulator, which - despite what some say - dates back to the early 2000s. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing what LM have done with P3D, but it's a bit like a 737MAX - we are at a point where there's so much lipstick on a pig that we can't plug all those holes any longer. A lot of the third party developers' bread & butter is plugging those holes with their software, so it's quite frankly normal they don't like that shiny new next gen A350 or whatever in the form of MS20. Because it removes the market for them to sell all those hole plugs...

I love my sim, but it also drives me crazy. For every one flight where everything goes to plan, everything looks nice and is immersive, nothing hangs/crashes/doesn't do what it's supposed to do there's another 9 flights were something goes wrong. And with that I mean one of the 10+ addons I have running in the background does somethings silly, something in sim looks bad or glitchy totally killing the immersion or the fact that I even have to run all those things in the background causing the sim platform to crash and leave me frustrated halfway through my flight. Again, I'm grateful there are all those things I can run in the background, but as a consumer I shouldn't have to! Why do I have to purchase an addon to fix time zones that are wrong in the core sim? Why another one to dynamically manage the FTFF so I can actually fly into big airports on top notch hardware without seeing a slideshow on reasonable settings? Why another one to simulate something resembling ATC? And why do I need half a dozen addons alone just to make it look acceptable via shaders, textures, effects, cameras and whatnot. Not to mention all the time spent on researching, purchasing, installing, setting up, updating and maintaining all those different tools.

My hopes for the new sim are that it embraces current technology and provides a good enough experience out of the box. Does that mean there's no need for addons? Absolutely not! I am convinced we will still want more detailled airport sceneries and aircraft - good news for any scenery developer and the big aircraft studios. Weather? Maybe the standard engine does the job, but I'm sure there's more that can be done with it. That's ok. What I don't want is a dozen apps fixing things, running in the background at all times and causing instability because the core software is so stretched to its limits and flawed that I cannot enjoy it otherwise. So all those developers currently providing things that will probably be redundant will just have to find another way to add value to the new sim or find something else to do.

I for one am quite impressed by the open approach Microsoft have chosen for this, and without them we wouldn't have a flight simulator to begin with.

Edited by Speedbird 217
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

@Speedbird 217 I couldn’t have said it any better myself. +1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

32 minutes ago, Speedbird 217 said:

It's a unique situation, because while I and many others are very grateful for all those third party addons, the need for a lot of them is only created by the countless flaws in our core simulator, which - despite what some say - dates back to the early 2000s. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing what LM have done with P3D, but it's a bit like a 737MAX - we are at a point where there's so much lipstick on a pig that we can't plug all those holes any longer. A lot of the third party developers' bread & butter is plugging those holes with their software, so it's quite frankly normal they don't like that shiny new next gen A350 or whatever in the form of MS20. Because it removes the market for them to sell all those hole plugs...

I love my sim, but it also drives me crazy. For every one flight where everything goes to plan, everything looks nice and is immersive, nothing hangs/crashes/doesn't do what it's supposed to do there's another 9 flights were something goes wrong. And with that I mean one of the 10+ addons I have running in the background does somethings silly, something in sim looks bad or glitchy totally killing the immersion or the fact that I even have to run all those things in the background causing the sim platform to crash and leave me frustrated halfway through my flight. Again, I'm grateful there are all those things I can run in the background, but as a consumer I shouldn't have to! Why do I have to purchase an addon to fix time zones that are wrong in the core sim? Why another one to dynamically manage the FTFF so I can actually fly into big airports on top notch hardware without seeing a slideshow on reasonable settings? Why another one to simulate something resembling ATC? And why do I need half a dozen addons alone just to make it look acceptable via shaders, textures, effects, cameras and whatnot. Not to mention all the time spent on researching, purchasing, installing, setting up, updating and maintaining all those different tools.

My hopes for the new sim are that it embraces current technology and provides a good enough experience out of the box. Does that mean there's no need for addons? Absolutely not! I am convinced we will still want more detailled airport sceneries and aircraft - good news for any scenery developer and the big aircraft studios. Weather? Maybe the standard engine does the job, but I'm sure there's more that can be done with it. That's ok. What I don't want is a dozen apps fixing things, running in the background at all times and causing instability because the core software is so stretched to its limits and flawed that I cannot enjoy it otherwise. So all those developers currently providing things that will probably be redundant will just have to find another way to add value to the new sim or find something else to do.

I for one am quite impressed by the open approach Microsoft have chosen for this, and without them we wouldn't have a flight simulator to begin with.

And you think MS2020 won't have holes to plug// Dream on!!!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I'm sorry but this is the business market. If there's a far better, cheaper product that doesn't require me to install 50 paid add-ons just to have the ground look nicer or weather to look better or feel more realistic when I'm flying. I'm jumping

They have had it for so long that they are literally complaining about competition now. Why did they not expect their $100+ addons to hold up forever.

Flight simming has needed competition for so long and as much as people disagree, their tantrums prove that a wake-up call was required.

Time for a reality check, welcome back to the real world, competition exists, things will charge. Were not here to personally support your hobby we're here to invest in a product that we believe is better than the current one. Like the rest of the planet with pretty much every good and service.

Edited by teflocarbon
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

The new sim doesn't even have a precise release date yet and many are already speaking as if it was on life support. Avsim being Avsim, I guess.

All I want is for Microsoft to give me a good base sim with a nice lineup of "default" jets/props for a start. I will gladly pay for that, be it one time or subscription based.

Addon makers willing to charge me almost 3 or 4 times the price of the base sim can wait. "PrOfEsSiOnAl" addon, "PrOfEsSiOnAl" prices.

Thankfully freeware developpers do exist too.

• Like 5

Kilo60,

That is very interesting. Can you possibly point me to the link which positively states VR IS included as opposed to "will or maybe included"

I do not have VR, as much as I would love it, but I am very supportive for those who do have it. Whilst there was a lot of hoohaa about its inclusion, I have noted that MSFS/Osobo are aware of its impact on the FS community. However, nowhere, have I seen a positive and straight forward statement that it is actually included for the Release of this platform.

Regardless, despite acknowledging a sharp watch on all our comments, we have no actual statement from MS or Osobo that anything (other than their unstated programmes) is going to be included.  As far as I know, apart from the videos and screenshots, nothing has been stated about quality and complexity of systems in the aircraft or airports etc. To my mind, I have to throw a large percentage of my lot in with Rob Ainscough, mainly because all we have really seen is advertising and a somewhat devious method of going about that advertising with little or no regard for its negative impact on the community.  There is no point, however, in not acknowledging the huge positive impact it is having.

Also, whilst I am concerned for the lack of sales for the Developers, and also concerned about the release timings/MSFS sales and advertising tactics I am very much looking forward to this release some time in the future. As, indeed, I am looking forward to P3D and XPlane new releases.  Unfortunately, for this old pensioner, they will all get my pension dollars.

Developers can certainly look forward to a general, and I believe, temporary paucity in sales for all platforms. There is a future for those who can withstand the impact of MSFS2020 and I am sincerely praying for them to survive in total.

If they can hold out, it will be a win, win, win for all of us.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Kilo60,

That is very interesting. Can you possibly point me to the link which positively states VR IS included as opposed to "will or maybe included"

I do not have VR, as much as I would love it, but I am very supportive for those who do have it. Whilst there was a lot of hoohaa about its inclusion, I have noted that MSFS/Osobo are aware of its impact on the FS community. However, nowhere, have I seen a positive and straight forward statement that it is actually included for the Release of this platform.

Regardless, despite acknowledging a sharp watch on all our comments, we have no actual statement from MS or Osobo that anything (other than their unstated programmes) is going to be included.  As far as I know, apart from the videos and screenshots, nothing has been stated about quality and complexity of systems in the aircraft or airports etc. To my mind, I have to throw a large percentage of my lot in with Rob Ainscough, mainly because all we have really seen is advertising and a somewhat devious method of going about that advertising with little or no regard for its negative impact on the community.  There is no point, however, in not acknowledging the huge positive impact it is having.

Also, whilst I am concerned for the lack of sales for the Developers, and also concerned about the release timings/MSFS sales and advertising tactics I am very much looking forward to this release some time in the future. As, indeed, I am looking forward to P3D and XPlane new releases.  Unfortunately, for this old pensioner, they will all get my pension dollars.

Developers can certainly look forward to a general, and I believe, temporary paucity in sales for all platforms. There is a future for those who can withstand the impact of MSFS2020 and I am sincerely praying for them to survive in total.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:26 AM, Cruachan said:

As part of these discussions, we are reading again and again of user intentions to abandon financial support for the current 3rd Party Community of Developers by ceasing to purchase their products. Seriously?!

It's a free market.

The whole FSX/P3D scene has gone towards monetization and hasn't looked back. If the 3rd party aftermarket implodes, then that shows how unhealthy our scene actually is without the strong freeware core it once had. At least with X-Plane, the freeware scene is alive and thriving, driven by a passion for the hobby rather than profit margins, and wouldn't necessarily collapse.

If a bunch of payware developers turn belly up as a result, then that's the market at work. If MSFS is a word not allowed-fest, then the payware market will likely rebound (assuming it declines at all by people holding out on purchasing).

That's the invisible hand at work. I personally won't shed a tear if the whole scene goes under. That's business.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, simbol said:

Don't you find it crazy they anounced their simulator just after the FSexpo show finished? They could have attended it.. And share the news with us...

Wow dude are you serious? Maybe you should slide off that entitled horse of yours. People are still crying about this? From a marketing perspective, making the announcement at E3 was a smart move. We all got to hear about it didn't we? This says ZERO about what their commitment is going to be like. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

It sounds like some people are upset with free market capitalism. I don't see anything wrong with how Microsoft is going about this, they are well aware of our massive FS ecosystem and are taking the necessary steps not only not disturb it, but to actually empower it.

• Like 3

Yeah. We have to wait a bit. If they deliver a rocking flight simulator, essentially an open vehicle for add-on ingenuity, there could be endless potential for DLC and tools. And so they will be saviours. Perhaps developers must look forward to a more profitable time after a period riding an inevitable wave of uncertainty and disorder within the add-on development and monetisation ecosystem. So let's see how things pan out.

• Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The only reason the payware market exists is because the default simulator was designed in 2006, and lacked a lot features that can be achieved by modern hardware. And this being a niche hobby without much competition, have allowed payware developers to charge whatever price they like. 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:25 PM, fta2017 said:

Finally, we should think about what is being shown by MS in their videos. They are being very selective in terms of only showing photogrammetry cities, of which Jorg Neumann today told IGN there are only "400 or so". He then also said there are "1.5 million cities globally" but conveniently none of them have been shown without the nice photogrammetry (I think only London has been but they cleverly only showed it at near-dusk without revealing the lack of 3D data).

Please tell me how many cities with good level of detail exist in the default P3D ? I'll tell you, none. I'll happily get what I can from the default sim without having to spend any additional money. If add-on developers want to keep making money, they'll just have to step up their game.

To quote from another forum, 

I am going to go ahead and say it.... The 3rd party add on market is garbage. With very few exceptions 3rd party add-ons are radically overpriced, poorly supported, often left incomplete, and very poorly maintained.

I want MS to put in place strict standards on 3rd party add-ons. I want testing standards, support commitments etc. and I want them to only work though the MS store where compatibility can be enforced, and products removed if the developer doesn't fix their add ons. No more garbage like WT3, or word not allowed devs like Carenado who ship incomplete planes and then just abandon them.

I absolutely am DONE buying anything payware from anyone until FS2020 comes out, and then I will be very picky about what I buy and from who, and I will no longer pay outrageous prices.

Edited by ninerwhiskey9W

6 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

It looks like you are having issues with your config.

Here I never had to reinstall Windows or P3D. I am running a lot of scenery addons and utility addons and no issues at all. Two view pc’s in Wideview and flights up to 4h or 10h of planespotting at a heavy airport with Real Life traffic, it is all working perfectly...So for me P3D is as stable as a house...

Why addons like FFTF Dynamic or Time Zone Fixer ? Because we want better performance and more realism than the out of the box Sim.  You can fly with just a few scenery addons ..

If you really think that this new Flightsim is the answer then be prepared to adjust your view : loading all those photo tiles costs a lot of performance. MS already has said that if the tiles cannot be loaded fast enough then it will revert to lower resolutions. And the faster you fly the harder it gets. So for that you need a very fast IN connection at one end ( probably 200-300 mb at least ) and a very fast pc at the other end... 

Let me see a jet flying with 250 knots at 5000 ft in heavy real weather in MSFS with 0.50 p/m PR scenery + custom AG over a large city + AI traffic (!)....

Is your pc /IN connection capable of showing that smooth you think ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

7 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

by the countless flaws in our core simulator, which - despite what some say - dates back to the early 2000s.

One of the urban myths we can't get rid of. The ESP engine was rewritten in huge chunks for P3D, forget this "old code" tale.

Forget it quick, because ASOBO said their MSFS2020 is also based on FSX 😉

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Kilo60,

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.