Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Be careful what you wish for: a cautionary note

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

And you think MS2020 won't have holes to plug// Dream on!!!!

Did you even read my post? I’m clearly saying there will most likely still be scope for enhancements, like detailed aircraft and airport scenery addons.

But to keep with the naval references, if everything goes well those enhancements will be some racing stripes on the side or a golden anchor chain, not bucket upon bucket to keep the whole thing from sinking because the hull has more holes than a Swiss cheese...

I really cannot fathom all this negativity in here. Just seems there’s no pleasing some. Shouldn’t this be a massive opportunity if you’re a developer? I have said this before, this is generating some significant mainstream media coverage and it will be released as a state of the art platform by a renowned software company which without, funny enough, we wouldn’t even have the sim this forum is about.

There is lots of potential for a much bigger market once this goes live, as new and younger people get involved that just don’t fancy installing an essentially decades old sim which then requires thousands of pounds in investment to make it look just about acceptable and may or may not let you complete a flight without frustration. If you have a strong addon product then this should be great news to Mr Developer (more people to sell to) and in turn great news to the customer.

The only reason to explain some of the behaviours here is that of course this has the potential to upset the market, make it easier for new, talented entrants to start developing as well as they don’t need to understand a jurassic core platform with all its intricacies and then code something with a hundred workarounds to make it function in the sim. A bigger market also means it becomes more attractive to developers that today don’t take notice or don’t care enough to get involved. More competition means developers need to up their game and cannot charge ridiculous amounts of money for addons that shouldn’t be required in the first place anymore. So yeah, I guess you can see why developers don’t like this.

• Like 4

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

By the way fellow simmers, do you like better Asobo large interaction with us for several months before release or a P3Dv5 team wrapped in a total silence except for a small group of happy few self-proclaimed experts  ?  

Yes, me too.

• Like 11

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 minutes ago, domkle said:

By the way fellow simmers, do you like better Asobo large interaction with us for several months before release or a P3Dv5 team wrapped in a total silence except for a small group of happy few self-proclaimed experts  ?  

Yes, me too.

Now we just have Asobo's great interaction and communication, with a bunch of fearmongers and perpetual cynics who need to turn everything on its head. "Oh no they won't release an SDK ever, they will kill the community, oh they owe us the world, waa".

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

53 minutes ago, Speedbird 217 said:

I really cannot fathom all this negativity in here.

Me too. All this blindfolded "P3D/XP is dead/in coma" etc. .... all this premature eja.....  uhm, sorry, praising MSFS2020 which is just based on some vids and interviews reminds me a bit on cults.

Its a bit like a friend knows a nice women and you are already making wedding plans before you've even met her once.
And in this story WE are the friends who say "Goddamnit, Steve, at least go out with her a few times before you even start thinking about that!"

Edited by JoeFackel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I fired up P3D yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and still have a few wow moments....   I have missed it.  A lot

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I hope all this negativity doesn't affect the development plan for MSFS. Would you rather they did a half arsed sim just so that these greedy 3rd party devs who are throwing a tantrum right now can continue milking people's hard earned money with atrocious price tags ? Throwing a tantrum just because they want to provide a complete sim where minimal addons are needed? Also your fault if you are financially dependent on selling tree and water textures for $30. Too bad that 2nd ferrari will not be coming. Time to get a reality check. Such selfish manchilds. I am so disappointed in some people's thinking here.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 4

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Why addons like FFTF Dynamic or Time Zone Fixer ? Because we want better performance and more realism than the out of the box Sim.  You can fly with just a few scenery addons ..

Regarding Time Zone Fixer: not because we want more realism but because why want accurate time zones, not the bugged ones that come shipped with the program and that should've been fixed a long time ago.

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

If you really think that this new Flightsim is the answer then be prepared to adjust your view : loading all those photo tiles costs a lot of performance. MS already has said that if the tiles cannot be loaded fast enough then it will revert to lower resolutions. And the faster you fly the harder it gets. So for that you need a very fast IN connection at one end ( probably 200-300 mb at least ) and a very fast pc at the other end... 

Let me see a jet flying with 250 knots at 5000 ft in heavy real weather in MSFS with 0.50 p/m PR scenery + custom AG over a large city + AI traffic (!)....

Can you link me to the video/interview where MS states that it will revert back to lower resolutions?

So you're already complaining about performance without even having played it yourself? Can you guys please stop with this false bashing on MS? I invite you to do exactly the same in P3D, good luck with that!

And regarding the speed of your internet, why do you think they'll allow you to cache certain areas to fly offline?

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

3 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

I really cannot fathom all this negativity in here.  

I don't see so much negativity, Speed'. I hear a tiny minority of loud and, for some, nasty voices, with two disgruntled developers fanning the fire. 

The Avsim community response as a whole  is rather positive.  

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

To get this straight: NOBODY says that MSFS2020 won't have huge potential to be THE new bigplayer in the flightsim world. It would be just plain stupid to deny that.

All we, the alerted old stagers, are doing is to warn of blindly throwing all you have in the trashbin before some can even say in which condition MS will release their sim. 

Edited by JoeFackel
  • Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Just now, domkle said:

I don't see so much negativity, Speed'. I hear a tiny minority of loud and, for some, nasty voices, with two disgruntled developers fanning the fire. 

The Avsim community response as a whole  is rather positive.  

And don't forget we're in the lion’s den here (P3D subforum).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

praising MSFS2020 which is just based on some vids and interviews reminds me a bit on cults.

Isn't that how it always works when new games are announced? How else are we supposed to be praising them? 😃

1 minute ago, JoeFackel said:

To get this straight: NOBODY says that MSFS2020 won't have huge potential to be THE new bigplayer in the flightsim world. It would be just plain stupid to deny that.

Well, you say that but there are some folks here who do claim it won't be the next big thing, only they don't say it so clearly.

1 minute ago, simtom said:

And don't forget we're in the lion’s den here (P3D subforum).

Tom, I've been flying P3D since 2.3 and love it.  Still love it as Erich said up above.  These guys do not represent P3Ders any more than you or me ! 

Dominique

1 minute ago, domkle said:

Tom, I've been flying P3D since 2.3 and love it.  Still love it as Erich said up above.  These guys do not represent P3Ders any more than you or me ! 

Well, I have a love/hate relationship (like most I guess). Can't really say I love it but we have to do with what's available to us.

It's just that some here see P3D as the holy grail of flight simming and that nothing else can take that throne, that's what annoys me the most.

8 minutes ago, simtom said:

Well, I have a love/hate relationship (like most I guess). Can't really say I love it but we have to do with what's available to us.

It's just that some here see P3D as the holy grail of flight simming and that nothing else can take that throne, that's what annoys me the most.

When I switched to P3D from FSX+fixer , I had a one month trial period. Didn't wait 30 days  to flush out FSX from my disk and heartily adopt P3D. Tried XP yet another time, was not convinced. P3D is, for me, the best sim of the old generation but Fs20 is a whole new ball game. And I hope, for our sake as simmers, that v5 will be as good.  

Edited by domkle

Dominique

4 minutes ago, domkle said:

When I switched to P3D from FSX+fixer , I had a one month trial period. Didn't wait 30 days  to flush out FSX from my disk and heartily adopt P3D. Tried XP yet another time, was not convinced. P3D is, for me, the best sim of the old generation but Fs20 is a whole new ball game. And I hope, for our sake as simmers, that v5 will be as good.  

Same here, held onto FSX:SE until P3Dv4 came out and uninstalled FSX pretty quickly afterwards.

I for one will not buy v5, my mind is on MSFS (even when it takes a year of two after release to get everything in). But that's not to say that I'm looking forward to seeing what LM will bring with v5.

• Upvote 1