Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Be careful what you wish for: a cautionary note

Really serious saga. I've been in contact with plenty of guys that depend on their flight sim for a big part of their lives.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

...and what a glorious saga it is! :biggrin:

rather the never ending story

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Oz,

I believe you are paraphrasing what I said. My intent was, and remains, to encourage users to maintain their support, in whatever form, for the 3PD community through what could prove to be a very difficult period ahead. I have never suggested that they should be changing their existing purchasing behaviour nor the freedom to choose their preferred direction.

Wow! I certainly can’t match that level of recent expenditure on Addons! Without any hesitation, I tip my hat to you!

Regards,

Mike

1. Direct quotes, not paraphrasing. That was a pretty firey post you made, but all good here. 🙂

2. Yeah, I buy too many addons. What can i say, sim flying is fun and is a heck of a lot cheaper than real GA hours (which are also fun, but $$$).

3. I personally like supporting developers that add value to the hobby. I’ve kept buying addons as FS2020 is still a fair way away, and i’m enjoying flying now. 

4. FS2020 will change the game, no doubt in my mind. It’s disruptive change, which will throw a lot of people’s plans into disarray. But that’s progress, and overall I think FS2020 will be great for the hobby. Lots of new people will join in, which is exactly what flight sim needs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

And she's moved on ... I recall a few PM's she and I were laughing at the hate expressed on Reddit towards both of us ... to me it just seems incredibly cowardly to hide behind another website like reddit to fling derogatory comments towards someone at AVSIM ... seems more like someone needs "support" so goes elsewhere to find it ... but that's become the norm for those hiding behind the keyboards and perceived anonymity.

Cheers, Rob.   

Hating  Elaine???? Got some really twisted people on these forums. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

23 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

And she's moved on ... I recall a few PM's she and I were laughing at the hate expressed on Reddit towards both of us ... to me it just seems incredibly cowardly to hide behind another website like reddit to fling derogatory comments towards someone at AVSIM ... seems more like someone needs "support" so goes elsewhere to find it ... but that's become the norm for those hiding behind the keyboards and perceived anonymity.

Cheers, Rob.   

Elaine was a good example. Nice and practical. Heaven preserve us of a diversity policy here at Avsim but having one or two women mods and more on the forums would certainly change the overall tone. For the better.  

I am not familiar with Reddit so I can't say but there is no dearth of haters and cowards everywhere. The Blocking and Ignore functions are a blessing.

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

What follows is a copy of my post just uploaded to the sibling thread over at the MSFS forum here at AVSIM....

Regarding the SDK for MSFS2020, I have been reading the XO19 interview with ASOBO studio’s lead developer and co-founder, Martial Bossard, which has been documented over at FlightSim.com:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?19990-X019-Interview-with-Asobo-Studio

The following is an extract from the interview....

“The only thing I can say is that we have made some partnerships have been announced, so we are talking to third-parties so we can develop an easier way to create content. So the fact is, the same tool used to create the experience is the same SDK we use today. It is not like we have super high quality tools then we will deliver the light version of this. We are doing the experience with the tools that will be delivered in the SDK and everybody will have an access to that. The fact that you are able to trigger the simulator to the developer mode and on this developer mode you will have access to everything that allows you to create planes, sceneries and missions, everything that was done by the person on FSX in what I would say the tooled way, now it's coming with a proper SDK embedded into the simulation.”

I am not a developer but it looks to me that this response could be answering some of the questions surrounding the SDK and it’s availability. Am I correct? Good news?

Mike

On 11/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, Cruachan said:

Despite what we have been told there are absolutely no guarantees we can trust MS to encourage ongoing 3rd Party Support and Development by producing an SDK for the new simulator. Indeed, can we trust MS to do anything when their modus operandi is, as always, driven by commercial considerations?

"The team is making good progress on the SDK development. While still in the early stages, the plan is to provide an initial version of the SDK to the 3rd party developer community before the end of the year. Our goal has been to involve 3rd parties early in the development process, and to give them the ability to influence our priorities and how we author the SDK. After the first wave of initial 3rd party developer visits onsite with the team, we’ve been incredibly excited by the optimism and feedback we’ve received thus far. These same tools will be provided to the community in effort to ensure the tools we use to create content, tools that undergo constant testing in our production environment, are shared with all our creators. Initially, the SDK will offer the ability to author planes, sceneries and custom missions. For those with a preference for using FSX tools, SimConnect will be supported. We will also support additional modern standards like HTML for UI and glTF for 3D models. "

- https://www.flightsimulator.com/november-21st-2019-development-update/

• Upvote 5

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Looks like I’ll be eating my words! Fingers crossed! Mind you, was this info available to us when I posted that a week ago?

Mike

• Like 1

I just dropped my jaw again with the video posted.  OMG OMG the physics, the graphics, the amazing fluffy clouds the bumpy runaways - I am sold

I assume you can use Legacy FSX birds in here - lol

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Will 2020 be 64bit? A quick google search didn’t bring up anything which is really concerning. 

6 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

Will 2020 be 64bit? A quick google search didn’t bring up anything which is really concerning.

I think it would be a reasonable assumption that it is. If LM can do it then so can ASOBO. I very much doubt that they would wish to cripple their new baby with unnecessary memory constraints.

Regards,

Mike

So much doom and gloom...and here I am booting up my sim and flying a couple planes I recently purchased this week (carbon cub in xplane 11 and took advantage of the Carenado sale to snag the 210 for P3D). 

do what you want but don’t let a new sim on the horizon ruin your enjoyment of what is here now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

4 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Doesn't bring up anything because 64-bit is the default in this day and age. That is not 'concerning'.

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 11/22/2019 at 2:35 AM, UAL4life said:

LOL 😄

I think they will make it in 16bit, so it may be more challening for them. 64bit programming can be done even by apes.