Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

An odd comparison: ORBX vs. Microsoft

Ok, ok, maybe I should explain the title, before confusion kicks in or you get upset with me. I’m not talking about ORBX vs. the upcoming MSFS; that doesn’t exist yet for us to purchase. I’m referring to the superb ORBX True Earth Northern England for XP11 vs. Microsoft’s Forza Horizon 4 (FH4), an excellent car game (at least for me), that lets you drive and/or race around the North Eastern part of Scotland (or what MS thinks is the NE part of Scotland), with Edinburgh at its center. I like both a lot, XP11 and FH4. FH4 comes with 4 seasons.

This little (did I say odd?) comparison covers only a small part of Edinburgh, but it shows, how well the ORBX scenery’s POIs can hold up against FH4, given the limitations, XP11 (and FSX/P3D) offer developers.

Let’s start with the main road that passes by the “Scott Memorial” and leads towards the “Edinburgh Castle”, which overlooks this fantastic city. I think I won’t have to tell you, which one is XP11 or FH4  😊. I (my avatar) drive the 1938 MG. If you want to see any picture in its original size, please click on it twice.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

And now a closer look at the Edinburgh Castle

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

I’m not sure, whether you can drive up with your car to the castle (I never tried that in real life), but also in ORBX, you can’t land on the area in front of it; you’ll sink in. So this is a look around both sides of the castle.

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

5a.jpg

Away from the castle, here is a look at the main train station, the “Edinburgh Waverly”

6.jpg

6a.jpg

And the “National Gallery of Scotland”

7.jpg

7a.jpg

The next picture is a bit unfair, as so close to the ground, FH4 looks of course much better

8.jpg

8a.jpg

Oh, just in case you wonder, why my MG looks so dirty, well, I had a fantastic 25-mile cross country drive from my humble hut, before I reached Edinburgh 😊

9.jpg 

10.jpg

• Like 9

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Enjoyed this very much. Nice to get "outside" the flight sim world and see things from a new perspective.

John

• Like 1

***Incredible*** FH4 look like real photos.Thx 4 sharing

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Many thanks, John and Patrick

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Cool idea. Although that FH4 (never heard of that --> something to try!) looks very well, it has an evident limitation: Cars can't fly!

• Like 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thank you Bernd, very telling.

Does FH have a virtual cockpit or is it only 3rd person view ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 minutes ago, domkle said:

Thank you Bernd, very telling.

It has cockpits

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, domkle said:

Hi Dominique, as pictures are worth more than a thousand words, here I’m driving a 1931 8-litre Bentley:

Bentley-8-Litre-5.jpg 

Bentley-8-Litre-6.jpg

I now have changed the colour from black to beige

Bentley-8-litre-beige-13.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SP2472 said:

Now check MS2020 with complete cities shown...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFfBrB8GKXc

Isn't this brilliant and they even confirmed that next to the A320 Neo also the 747-8 will be part of the package 😉

12 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Hi Dominique, as pictures are worth more than a thousand words, here I’m driving a 1931 8-litre Bentley:

Thank you  Bernd. Excellent taste in cars. Who needs a Lambo when you can drive a Bentley, I'll tell you.

I've never always played a driving game. Where is the thrill ?  I am not overly fond of driving any car  in real life so I wonder as your pics are really lovely.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, edetroit said:

Love your Bentley too! 😍.....do you have an XK-150? 😎

No Ed, I don’t, but I have a 1954 XK120 instead 😊

XK120-5.jpg

5 hours ago, domkle said:

I've never always played a driving game. Where is the thrill ?  I am not overly fond of driving any car  in real life so I wonder as your pics are really lovely.

I agree Dominique that just driving around in a computer game can be a bit boring, even if the area you are in looks nice. That is why I like to take the old lady out for a little spin. With this I mean “racing” on Scottish country roads 😊

1.jpg 

2.jpg 

3.jpg

But it doesn’t have to be limited to the Bentley (she hates to be thrown around tight corners), there are other cars better suited for this purpose, a Jag MkII for example

5.jpg

Also Aston Martins will do fine, like a 1958 DBR1 or 1960 DB4 Zagato

6.jpg

7.jpg

Or how about a 1957 Ferrari 250 Spyder California or a 1929 Mercedes SSK

8.jpg 

9.jpg

But being in Scotland, I also like to follow a time-honoured tradition: hill climbs. A car that can perform here quite nicely is a French car: the 1926 Bugatti 35C. I have taken the liberty to give her wider tires, it helps to go around corners faster than the competition

10.jpg

Edited by bernd1151
  • Like 1