Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Affinity question

Hi-

I'm running HT on (8 cores) and want to run my GTN750 on the first two cores.

What value would I add to the -1 place to make this happen? I'm not sure of the 1-32 designation is.

; selects the CPU running the trainer process: 1 to 32
; 0: last core, -1: automatic.
CpuAffinity = -1

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

Q: why would you want to run the trainer on 2 cores, or on specific core(s) ?

Q: is there any particular issue you're having with the RXP GTN with the default 'automatic' setting?

Otherwise, to answer your question(s):

; selects the CPU running the trainer process: 1 to 32

it does what it says!

If you set to -1 it is automatic and you have nothing else to do or to bother with.

If you set this setting value to 0, and you have 8 cpu, then the last one is #8 ? so it will use the last core...

Otherwise you do have 8 cores (i.e. 8 'cpu'), well, if you set this setting value to 1, it will run on the 1st cpu, if you set this setting value to 2 ,it will run on the 2nd cpu, etc...

PS: you cannot configure the RXP GTN to run on 2 cores at the same time and there is no need to. However we offer a new undocumented setting starting with the trainer 6.62 to run on all cores if you configure the parameter like this: CpuAffinity = -2

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for sharing this.

1) As you sure you've set this up for the correct device? (i.e. what is the process for which you're showing up the CPU affinity panel, vs, what is the content of the ini file for this device)

2) Are you running 2 devices at the same time as well?

3) And setting it to = 2 does it assign cpu#6 or cpu#1 in the list?

4) Regardless:

20 hours ago, RXP said:

Q: why would you want to run the trainer on 2 cores, or on specific core(s) ?
Q: is there any particular issue you're having with the RXP GTN with the default 'automatic' setting?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

1) As far as I know. The affinity edit is under [GTN_750_2] in RealityXP.GTN.ini I'm only running the 750.

The process in Process Explorer is GTN Simulator exe that's being displayed. Setting to 2 has no effect.

No problems just doing some experimenting.

Thanks,

Mark

59 minutes ago, newtie said:

The affinity edit is under [GTN_750_2] in RealityXP.GTN.ini

If you're modifying the setting in the [GTN_750_2] section, this will apply to the GTN 750 unit#2.

59 minutes ago, newtie said:

I'm only running the 750.

alright, but which unit# are you running...

Just cross check you're modifying the setting for the right device you're using, like I've said above:

4 hours ago, RXP said:

1) As you sure you've set this up for the correct device?

Edited by RXP

I'm not at my FS computer right now but if I'm not mistaken, the 750_2 device as the only one with the CPUAffinty entry. I believe there was a 750_Default in the .ini but did not have the entry. Is this something I add manually?

I'm glad you've manage to make it work perfectly for you now!

In case this helps others can you comment on the practical use of the affinity setting for you?

On 11/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, RXP said:

In case this helps others can you comment on the practical use of the affinity setting for you?

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Sure.

As a matter of my training in IT (I'm retired now) I relied on observation almost all the time (what changed?), numerical testing some of the time and others' experiences even less. IT folks are fully aware that when you change one thing in a system, it changes everything. For you Michael Connelly fans, that was the same advice Max gave to Cassie before robbing that guy at the Cleopatra of .5 mil in cash, while he was asleep :>)

OK, that said, I have an unusual setup (based on the above) that has completely eliminated microstutters on my system that have followed me like a stray dog since time began. I run an AM (HT on) on my 4770 releasing cores 0 and 1 with a selective assignment of P3D to the rest

I run all my additional addons on core 0 and 1, including the GTN. Yes, I run all sliders at low settings (never liked autogen anyway) but without the setting above, they were still there. I still cannot believe the stutter free environment I'm flying in. I keep looking for a microstutter and I cannot find one including flying into FlightBeam KSFO, with ORBX Norcal checked in my FlySimware Lear. I battled that stutter for the longest time.

I haven't touched my setup in months other than addons and scenery. I hope to h*** that I don't do something to wreck it. But, you never know.

There you have it; my affinity experienced explained.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I've always seen a measured and repeatable improvement to FSX and P3D all versions when partitioning as Mark explains.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hey Steve-

Thought I'd mention that I used to use your .bat file to start and assign AM's to add ons but have moved over to FSUIPC's Run= command. Works perfect.

Cheers,

Mark

That's right, FSUIPC has had the ability to start addons more or less since it came out. I think setting affinity on them was a later addition to the function list.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com