Sign in to follow this  
Tim Arnot

HAVE AVGAS PRICE INCREASES AFFECTED YOUR FLYING?

Guest beana51

This questione was asked in an AOPA news letter. Also what price would you curtail flying?,and whats the future of Avgas?. My reply was $6.per gal for avgas. However I use Auto fuel.So its more like $ 4.00.As to the future of avgas? Well at these rates,we will go black market and get it in old 3liter wine bottles.Which is an international practice . I guess kidding aside,its a serous question.Ditto for our nautical friends.And if your toys include both? ,plus two cars?, a large ridding tractor?,a couple of teenagers?or gas guzzling grand kids?Well its a struggle. Too gloomey to conjecture, CHEERS! PASS THE KOOL-AID! :-beerchug

Here at the Lakeland airport (a couple of weeks ago anyway) avgas was $4.80 at the Piedmont Hawthorne terminal, but is currently $4.07 at another smaller FBO here with a self service pump. I'm stuck with avgas in one, but the other is STC'd for autogas, which is currently running around $2.87. I also saw on one of the internet sites where Tampa is at $5.10. Honestly, I guess I'll just pay whatever the market will bear, but I now budget my flying much more carefully.Leon

Guest LahaskaFlyer

I see a lot of autogas around the hangers. Jack WilsonDell8300Pent.R4CPU 3.0 GhzXP-Pro1.00 GB of Ram256MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XTSB AudigyDell 19" MonitorCable ModemCH Yoke-Pedals

Guest Ken_Salter

Yes - I have halted my lessons because of it.

Guest beana51

Hi HOLGER, Your pain is being felt by all.I hear of so many young student pilots becoming disenchanted with Aviation. Gone are the days when a young person could do odd jobs after his responsibility's were met.The money supplemented what ever finances he had,in order to pursue flying.This World Wide suppression of the youth interested in careers in aviation has yet to be felt. Where are the captains going to come from?Will those love of flight be forever grounded? To walk the earth with their eyes looking up? Dreaming?.Being an aviator is a full time occupation.Its dream"t,Felt,yearned for,its really a love affair.I see no solutions .The Band-Aid suggestions won't do it.You may wish to purse sailplanes.Yes it costs,but it may be a cheaper alternative.It will make you a good pilot. Good Luck To You VIN

Yesterday, with Wilma eyeing the coast of Florida (this hurricane stuff is getting rather old, by the way) I flew the 206 out of Lakeland, and up to my Dad's place - about 500 miles away. We have a self service pump for locals at one of the smaller FBOs on the field here, and yesterday's price was $4.20/gal. The flight was 3.2 hours and I burned 45 gallons at a cost of $189.00. The return flight on Southwest last night, with no advance purchase (well, maybe 4 hours) was $135.00. By the time I retrieve the airplane, and pay the higher full service rate where the plane is now, I will have more than $400 in fuel expense. I recently paid $98 for a round trip ticket with Southwest for effectively the same route. I've watched the price of avgas increase with the price of auto fuel, and I've seen the price of avgas increase again with a reduction in price of auto gas. Seems as any time the price of gasoline moves, in any direction, the price of avgas increases. Very frustrating, and I'm sure even more so for our aviating brothers in Europe.Leon

Deisel is much more expensive in the States than Gas. $2.79 a gallon for 87 octane autogas and $3.38 for deisel here in Spokane right now. Gas is falling and deisel is still rising for some reason.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach