Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

FSX and its flight planner

Can anyone comment on whether or not the FSX flight planner will allow direct flights from say Atlanta to London? In FS9, you can't do it. If you try, it takes you through Canada and Alaska before turning toward the UK. An improved flight planner is high on my list of most wanted features in FSX. RH

Guest andyjohnston

This is realistic.What it is doing is called "Great Circle" navigation. Quite simply, going along a 'curved' route is actually faster than a 'straight' one, due to the curvature of the earth.

With respect, I don't think flying from Atlanta via Alaska is on a great circle route! More like a great ellipse :-)

Graeme Butler

In this case, it is not. The usual flight path follows the east coast of the US then over the Atlantic and then down toward Scotland or Ireland before landing in London.In FS9, even if you take off from JFK, it takes you back over Alaska before heading to the UK.RH

FS9 will do the same thing in GPS mode. I meant through the other flight planner modes (I should have been more clear).RH

Guest andyjohnston

What other flight planner modes?

I think what Robbie means is when you have FSX create a flightplan using waypoints and not direct GPS, will it send you to Alaska or will it generate the waypoint needed in the US and then direct you over the Atlantic.Maybe I am wrong but I would imagine that there are a few waypoints needed while they are still over the US and once they reach Europe. What about a flight plan to the Middle East? Sure there are no waypoints when they are crossing the Atlantic but there should be once they reach Europe. In FS9, you have 3 choices. Go to Alaska first, go GPS direct or create your own flightplan.I know this has been brought up before and the reason is that the path over the Atlantic is always changing. So, does FSX handle this a little better?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest garwig2

Which program or website did you use to make this map?