Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

FSX and its flight planner

Guest D17S

FSBuild is probably the best stand alone flight planner for the serious simmer. Still, for the NATs (North Atlantic Tracks), you

Thanks for the information, but from what I gather, FSX will not do what FSBuild does. I wonder if FSX has made any improvements in the flight planner.RH

FSX still has the entry/exit waypoint for the United States / North America set as the ADREW intersection on the Alaska / Yukon Territory border for some flights across the north Atlantic - when using the High Altitude Airways flight planning option.The route then follows the ACAR airway across north Canada to Greenland then the PTSR airway until joining UN615 175nm out from the STN VOR. (KDFW-LFPG - 6,283.6nm)Others use the DIGUN intersection in the tropical Atlantic (KJFK-LFPG - 6,075.8nm)Some other routing:KJFK-EHAM - 6121.2nm via ADREWKJFK-EDDF - 6328.8nm via ADREWKJFK-LIRF - 6274.0nm via DIGUNKJFK-EGKK - 6101.6nm via ADREWKBOS-EIDW - 5930.7nm via ADREWKBOS-LLBG - 7534.6nm via DIGUNKIAD-OKBK - 8455.4nm via ADREWLFPG-TNCM - 5158.4nm via DIGUN(Reverse routes are the same)FS2002 was better with everything routed through Tunisia. At least you only had to delete about six waypoints and the flight plan was usable.Most folks who want to fly such trips don't want to use the direct GPS flight path, preferring to do some navigation and While the NAT tracks change every day, I still fail to see why programming in about four tracks as the preferred routes would be anything less disrputive than the Alaska route.The trans-Pacific routing is great.Just the north Atlantic really messed up.There is a file around here somewhere which adds several north Atlantic waypoints. That way you can use the direct GPS course, but still have navigation waypoints to adjust your course.FSBuild is a great tool - but it is payware and too expensive for the casual flier.

>There is a file around here somewhere which adds several north>Atlantic waypoints.nat_v.2.0.zip is the name, invaluable addition to the fs9 (FSX?) database. One still has to use an external flight planner but at least fs9 will recognize the NAT lat/long waypoints with this bgl installed.regards,Markhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Actually I use the waypoints to supplement a Direct GPS course.The north Atlantic is the most glaring issue/ failure in the FS Flight Planner.

"The north Atlantic is the most glaring issue/ failure in the FS Flight Planner."I agree, and with the popularity of the North Atlantic route, you would think they would have fixed it in FSX. It should not have been that difficult, either.I have tried FS Navigator but have been unable to figure it out. Is FSBuild easier to work with?RH

FSBuild is easier because it will create waypoints for FS from the actual flight plan.We can add waypoints to a flight plan with a text editor. FS has supported that for a long time.Just open the .PLN file with NotePad and add points like waypoint.1=Fix01, I, N55* 00.00', W40* 00.00', +039000.00,waypoint.2=Fix02, I, N60* 00.00', W35* 00.00', +039000.00,waypoint.3=Fix03, I, N55* 00.00', W30* 00.00', +039000.00,For using FSNav - besure to install the NAT waypoints listed above - then rebuild your FSNav database. Then you can use them.

Someone else would be better to answer that question.Personally I've never liked FSNav as a detailed flight planning tool - to FS98ish interface and addons required in my opinion.But before I ever got FSNav, I did have a complete US Jeppsen set - with STAR/DP and most overseas charge - as was very comfortable entering those in the default FS Flight Planner.FSNav is THE superior "what if" flight planner for direct flights - comparing alternate routes, etc.FSBuild is exceptional in one area - You can take a flight plan - copy it straight from FlightAware or another online tracking service - paste into the FSBuild screen - and it will turn that into a plan FSNav and FS9 can read and use.There are also many real world flight plans available for download, and in the initial database.If real world flight plans are you thing - FSBuild is the way to go.

Go to www.fsbuild.com. Go to their forum link.This planner is stand-alone, that is it runs without FS running. It couples to a running weather program such as Active Sky for fuel planning using defined aircraft profiles, departure temperatures, and winds aloft.The is I believe an interface for importing NAT tracks but I have never used it.This is not a moving map planner. It is strictly preflight. The route is presented over a map which can be zoomed in on in specific areas. As already mentioned it uses standard routing syntax for input. It has autorouting capabilities which you then can modify.Because it is powerful and has flexibility there is a bit of a learning curve best supported by the site above for tutorials. The site states that there will be a no charge upgrade to support FSX since FSX will accept FS9 format plans but just in different folders.AIRAC cycles are accepted as are SID/STAR data in the proper format. AIRAC cycles will be downloaded when available from the FSBUILD site since these are "proofed".Flight plans can be exported to FS9 and several FMC "company route" FMC formats such as LDS and PMDG. In addition it comes with several user donated existing routes.Occasionally there is a duplicate waypoint name confusion but there are facilities for correcting the route by building from the edited waypoint grid.With ASV6 I use and end up between the two applications with a dispatch type report with route weather and a navigation log.It can be used by the "casual simmer" but is best used by learning its tricks and should satisfy the more serious simmer interested in serious flight planning.