Sign in to follow this  
jaytee73

What Hardware Spec will I need

I am a Formula 1 fan - and when a new X box was announced around 12 months ago that gave 4K HDR quality playback - and a new 4K game F1 2019 - I jumped in on a special X Box One X offer in a local store - bought the F1 and Forza 4 and drove around all the worlds tracks in my Ferrari  -  and the roads of England's Lake District in my Maserati - at super frame rates without any stutters.

At the same time - I bought a new 55"  4K HDR10 -TV - my dear wife of 64 years of marriage relegated me back to my own bedroom with the X BOX - and to my old PC - so I bought a Hisense 43 "HDR10 TV as a monitor to my aging PC - which meant an upgrade - to what now seems to be  - a medium PC in simming terms - according to what I have learned since - but perfect for decent gaming in 4K - but not for 1K Flight simming via XP or PD3 - I found out.  

When MS recently shattered the flight sim community with pre alpha videos of their proposed new Flight Sim - many questions were answered  that seem to cover most of the failings talked about - infinitum in these forums - amongst which were what will happen to developers - what will be the future for  XP and PD3  - and the big question will be - will my PC be powerful enough - will my internet be capable of streaming from the cloud etc etc - and will MS back up this new sim for years to come ? Have a look at this video - typical MS PR  - but does it cover what the benefits - the new sim brings to quality and performance we have been seeking from XP and PD3.

Personally - I will continue to use both XP and PD3 because of the investments I have made in Orbx and aircraft - on my current PC which is still capable of handling some big games (Elite eg) - and when the X Box 2 (??) hits the streets  with its "x" terraflops of memory - bespoke CPU - GPU way in advance of RTX 2080TI - ssd storage etc. - and the best version of MS FS 2020 that is actually designed for it - (NO tweaking) -  (I wont really care if the airflow over the wings is more important than visual quality - because I have over 500 hours of actual flying G/ Aircraft in the real world so I know how it actually should feel)

As to developers - already aircraft developers are making noises about the use of 4K PBR - U-Tube video makers like frooglesim - are producing in 4K and downsizing to be used on outdated 1K HD sims. Airports are being developed all the time for the newer scenery technologies like Orbx - so why not for MS FS 2020

One of the more obvious developments that will be required for an X BOX sim - is a different controller. Some time ago so that MS could place "Aces" on the X BOX - they worked with Thrustmaster to modify a HOTAS  controller  for use with this -  and future flight sims. One only has to visit T/Masters pages to view the number of Driving wheels developed for Sim racing - look at a Ferrari wheel - Imagine that as a flight yoke with all the buttons to hand - and they have pedals as well to go with the wheels (yokes + Rudders). The CEO of Thrustmaster recently confirmed they were working on a new controller project (??)

I have just one problem ---- at 84 YO - will I get to see all this - 👴

For a more Tech spec - watch this Vid on XBOX 2 vs PS 5 - 

will Sony PS 5 want a developer of a Flight Simm ??????

Edited by jaytee73
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

... my dear wife of 64 years of marriage..

Jaytee - I cannot answer your question, but I have to congratulate you on the above statement, sir! 

28 years of marriage here, but then again we are only just in our 50s..

Happy octogenarian gaming! You are not alone, especially within the flightsim community.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

14 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

my dear wife of 64 years of marriage 

I too want to salute you and your wife, Jaytee.  That level of commitment is certainly not the norm anymore.  What a great example and a huge blessing!

Can't answer your question about whether you'll get to see all this, but I certainly hope so.  I'm 20 years your younger and sometimes I wonder if I'll be around to see all this state-of-the-art goodness.  Lord willing...

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks to MARK and DOUG for your kind remarks - It all occurred so long in Lancashire - Mark - and my Avatur

was taken at Blackpool AP - (on a visit from OZ) -  and where I borrowed the  PA28 and took my dad (who flew in Halifaxes WW2)

for a buzz around the County Palatine for a couple of hours.

As for whether or not - I fall from the perch - say - just after both MS2020 and X Box TWO come out in August  - one of my 3 sons aged between 53 and 60

and PS4 fanatics - will benefit - or failing that - I have a great grandson who will love it - the other 4 are girls.

• Like 1