Sign in to follow this  
DAD

FSX Steam Beta?

Just now, ca_metal said:

I wouldn't bet on that theory. Dovetail made a lot of mistakes while developing FSW. They spent a lot of money on it and people weren't buying it.

I think the nail in the coffin for the sim was when they announced the final release, even though the simulator was far from ready and a lot of their promisses were being delayed.

Also, I'm sure noone knew MS was developing a new sim, besisdes the devs that were working directly on it and some CEOs like Phil Spencer. There's no reason to think Dovetail pulled FSW back because of the new sim. 

Yeah, could very well be, though I would assume they'd try to leave the relationship intact and part on good terms, rather than just pull the rug out from beneath them and leave them in a financial hole. But, who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Though I am certain the cancellation of FSW was done due to MSFS. Not that Dovetail knew or where privy to any details whatsoever, just that Microsoft had approached them and revoked their license in some fashion, thus they had to end it. I have a hard time believing the FSW cancellation and being taken off FSX was just a happy coincidence given MS were working on MSFS at the time and planning on announcing 'soon'. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, could very well be, though I would assume they'd try to leave the relationship intact and part on good terms, rather than just pull the rug out from beneath them and leave them in a financial hole. But, who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Though I am certain the cancellation of FSW was done due to MSFS. Not that Dovetail knew or where privy to any details whatsoever, just that Microsoft had approached them and revoked their license in some fashion, thus they had to end it. I have a hard time believing the FSW cancellation and being taken off FSX was just a happy coincidence given MS were working on MSFS at the time and planning on announcing 'soon'. 

It was mentioned in one video that the original plan for MSFS was to announce at E3 2018, which was not long at all after the cancellation of FSW.

Edited by Ikaro
  • Upvote 1

After exchanging the FSUIPC dll with the one from the link above, which fixed my crashes at the beginning of all flights, and clearing the shader10 directory I can say that most of my issues have been resolved. Some minor issues with flickering textures like progressive taxi and taxiways crossing runways remain. So I remembered one fix for the DX10 shaders I already applied some years back. I noticed that the beta installation has overwritten the DX10 shader logic files back to factory state. After I applied that old patch from 2013 again all my installation is working like a charm in beta mode, even with third party plane addons. So now all issues are solved for me in beta mode.

Edited by Andragonhh
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andragonhh said:

After exchanging the FSUIPC dll with the one from the link above, which fixed my crashes at the beginning of all flights, and clearing the shader10 directory I can say that most of my issues have been resolved. Some minor issues with flickering textures like progressive taxi and taxiways crossing runways remain. So I remembered one fix for the DX10 shaders I already applied some years back. I noticed that the beta installation has overwritten the DX10 shader logic files back to factory state. After I applied that old patch from 2013 again all my installation is working like a charm in beta mode, even with third party plane addons. So now all issues are solved for me in beta mode.

So do you notice any differences? What kind of scenery are you using?

18 hours ago, ca_metal said:

I wouldn't bet on that theory. Dovetail made a lot of mistakes while developing FSW. They spent a lot of money on it and people weren't buying it.

I think the nail in the coffin for the sim was when they announced the final release, even though the simulator was far from ready and a lot of their promisses were being delayed.

Also, I'm sure noone knew MS was developing a new sim, besides the devs that were working directly on it and some CEOs like Phil Spencer. There's no reason to think Dovetail pulled FSW back because of the new sim. 

DTG still work with MS as Asobo did before MSFS working on games for the XBOX, I still suspect it was MS that pulled FSW then announced MSFS next year at E3 that according to reports started 6 years before E3, before FSX:SE arrived on steam.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 12/7/2019 at 1:50 AM, carbonbasedlifeform said:

So do you notice any differences? What kind of scenery are you using?

I do not see any difference so far. All scenery loadings take as long as before. I have installed some addon scenery for local airports in northern Germany and some TOPOSIM and ORBIX sceneries, also some additional airplanes like PMDG 777 and Eaglesoft Citation X (which has ist own set of issues with my config before same as after going beta). 

2 hours ago, Andragonhh said:

I do not see any difference so far. All scenery loadings take as long as before. I have installed some addon scenery for local airports in northern Germany and some TOPOSIM and ORBIX sceneries, also some additional airplanes like PMDG 777 and Eaglesoft Citation X (which has ist own set of issues with my config before same as after going beta). 

When I try OrbX I get an error about object flow. You can ignore the error but it doesn’t display properly.

3 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

When I try OrbX I get an error about object flow. You can ignore the error but it doesn’t display properly.

All I do is ignore as well, however haven't experienced any display issues so far. But will keep checking. I'm just realizing that I might not have come by any ORBX structures so far. 

Just re-installed the beta and FSUIPC and hence AFSD works 🙂

On 12/7/2019 at 12:40 AM, Andragonhh said:

and clearing the shader10 directory

Thx, will try that too as I also saw missing textures after the beta installed 

Danke

Phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

anybody who can tell me where to find that shader10 folder? searching but no results here for me....

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

tried the beta but using the PMDG I was not able to use the VC, click spots were mostly not reacting, only sporadically, causing a fatal crash at LOWI, desinstalled the beta now and so far all seems good. wondering whether collecting user experience data caused the laggy click spot reaction? anyway, will report back after landing

UPDATE: smoooth landing without technical issues, VC operated properly. Except that real world weather download did not work without the beta. MS, just in case you follow 🙂

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

3 hours ago, DAD said:

anybody who can tell me where to find that shader10 folder? searching but no results here for me....

That folder should be at 

C:\Users\<your user id>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10

That is the default path if you haven't changed your user location/settings.

Regards

Andra

3 hours ago, DAD said:

Sent a PM to you …