Sign in to follow this  
DAD

FSX Steam Beta?

Folks, wanted to make a quick flight since months in my FSX Steam and saw below message (which I cannot add as pic) but it reads as follow:

"New beta branch available on Steam!

We've released a new beta branch for FSX that will help us gain valuable new telemetry data that will help us in the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you are interested..." (underlined by me)

FSX on Steam is Dovetail, any idea whether they really refer to MSFS20 here? Or could it be that MS really wants to gain data through FSX Steam? Or does DT also develop something new? Wouldn't believe that.

Phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

15 minutes ago, DAD said:

Folks, wanted to make a quick flight since months in my FSX Steam and saw below message (which I cannot add as pic) but it reads as follow:

"New beta branch available on Steam!

We've released a new beta branch for FSX that will help us gain valuable new telemetry data that will help us in the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you are interested..." (underlined by me)

FSX on Steam is Dovetail, any idea whether they really refer to MSFS20 here? Or could it be that MS really wants to gain data through FSX Steam? Or does DT also develop something new? Wouldn't believe that.

Phil

Didn't they say that they would bring FSX home again (take the support back)? Might have to do something with that.

Microsoft have already taken over the Steam version, as their agreement with Dovetail is over. Since the relevant announcement, the developer/publisher listed on the Steam store page is Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios. They said they had some plans for Flight Simulator X, maybe this is what they meant?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Dovetail was pushed out of the picture to my knowledge and their right to the entertainment license of ESP was cancelled / it ended(?). They were essentially just custodians of the Steam version. Having made minor improvements and re-released it. So FSX is back under Microsoft's umbrella.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

good to know. then I would be willing to join the beta if that helps the development of MSFS20

Edit: that beta now downloads 1.9 gb.... curiuos how it'll behave

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The update, per Microsoft:

"

Bug Fixes

Included in this update are also a number of fixes, which you can find below:

CHANGELIST:

Turbine

• Resolved issue in N1 values where some settings were set to zero
  • Fixed issue where fuel flow not saved and set to 0 when started in the air

Agent radar

• Resolved in flight issue which resulted in intermittent crashes when using navigation way-points

Conversion

• Impression fixes when converting knots to meters per second

Piston

• Small fixes to oil pressure table
  • C172 oil pressure changed to start with a valid value

Live Weather

• Reintegrated Live Weather
  • When a weather station METAR line reading is failing the data will now be extrapolated from the weighted mean of the closest available METAR sources, instead of resetting to default weather

FSX:SE Team

"

(source:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=314160

)

Tried to use the beta but couldn't install FSUIPC which I need for AFSD to work.

I've only just installed the beta files, downloaded almost 1.9 GB. Now it crashes when I start a flight with distorted sound. So disabled the beta again, downloaded some MB only and free flight with the C172 starts. However all my airport textures are gone, I don't see runways or taxiways, only the taxiway markings are there. Also 3D cockpit dowsn't show, only 2D.  Will try a few things to fix this, have some older backup files to see what a comparison shows me. 

Some good news for me. I deleted the "Shader10" folder folder and had it recreated by FSX which it does automatically during flight launch. That brought back all my runway and taxiway textures. I'll keep experimenting with the beta channel then 😁

On 11/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, Sethos said:

Yeah, Dovetail was pushed out of the picture to my knowledge and their right to the entertainment license of ESP was cancelled / it ended(?). They were essentially just custodians of the Steam version. Having made minor improvements and re-released it. So FSX is back under Microsoft's umbrella.

Dovetail had the rights to FSX, NOT ESP, of which there was no entertainment version, &, as the period of that right lapsed, it reverted back to MS. It was never pushed out of the picture.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I'm guessing OrbX has no plans to make it compatible with the new beta? Or ActiveSky (I still want to use it despite re-awakening of weather data). Cool that FSUPIC (or whatever it's called) updated it.

9 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Dovetail had the rights to FSX, NOT ESP, of which there was no entertainment version, &, as the period of that right lapsed, it reverted back to MS. It was never pushed out of the picture.

Dovetail made Flight Sim World, which was cancelled, remember. That was based on the 'entertainment' license of ESP, LM holds the training license. Dovetail also managed FSX. FSW is cancelled suddenly, MSFS is announced and MS takes back control of FSX. I'd say it's pretty obvious they were pushed out, albeit on good terms I'd imagine. 

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

35 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Dovetail made Flight Sim World, which was cancelled, remember. That was based on the 'entertainment' license of ESP, LM holds the training license. Dovetail also managed FSX. FSW is cancelled suddenly, MSFS is announced and MS takes back control of FSX. I'd say it's pretty obvious they were pushed out, albeit on good terms I'd imagine. 

I wouldn't bet on that theory. Dovetail made a lot of mistakes while developing FSW. They spent a lot of money on it and people weren't buying it.

I think the nail in the coffin for the sim was when they announced the final release, even though the simulator was far from ready and a lot of their promisses were being delayed.

Also, I'm sure noone knew MS was developing a new sim, besides the devs that were working directly on it and some CEOs like Phil Spencer. There's no reason to think Dovetail pulled FSW back because of the new sim. 

Edited by ca_metal