Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Odgers

XO19 MSFS Playable Demo

Hi Fellow Community Members,

I just wanted to say I went today to XO19 and played the demo 4 times (all that were available). The team had some of the main ASOBO members there as well as the two main Microsoft bods who were hands on in the demo area. The anticipation standing in line, would I be disappointed? What would I feel?

The area was smaller than the other demo areas available however it was one of the most popular aside from the new Star Wars game. People who had not played flight simulator before who were giving it a go! The visuals simply amazing were everyone's comments. The game was running on cached mode and you could choose Renton, Naples or try to land at Courchevel. All scenery is default as you see it, rest assured guys those who think ORBX had anything to do with Courchevel, well they didn't and that is from the horses mouth! They have the attitude everything should be default out of the box. The 747 will be very close to the real thing, they don't see a difference between default and study level again from the horses mouth. They have kicked off the partnership series with aircraft manufacturers and they are using certified drawings, test pilots from the manufacturer everything!!

So what was it like - I started at Naples and the demo's are only 10 minutes to allow for the throughput, the scenery was amazing and varied, I started in the air and the member from XO19 who wasn't part of the development team played with real world weather, time of day UTC times and night lighting, all smooth and this is still a pre alpha build folks so there was a few display bugs that the team are aware of and will deal with. Flying around was smooth and flight dynamics were realistic in terms of what you would expect from a GA aircraft, if you extend the flaps expect the nose to pitch up. The main takeaway from this was the sound, the sound of the rain on the airframe, really felt that you were there.

Secondly Renton with David from ASOBO, he tweaked the menu and put the flight model on Hard, so I can confirm that there are 3 levels bit like what we have now, the default I used for Naples was Easy but far from Easy to fly I can assure you. So I asked David about engine modelling behaviour, it is coming they want to model engine differences accurately not just the flight model. Some GA aircraft are already almost complete. The flight was challenging even as an experienced real world GA pilot eveyrhing was as expected especially when coming to land. I was most enjoying the ground textures on the runway and night lighting!! ATC is coming as well, just not in the build on display. Real live traffic also is in there by default, no more made up schedules. Oh and the time zone thing is definitely fixed, if you switch to real world weather it alters UTC time to the correct time, so when he switched it on in Renton real weather it was raining and night time as they are 8 hours behind and I arrived 1115am

Thirdly Courchevel, this mode was aiming to perfect the landing and get the most points as a demo, it is default airport and very detailed, you start flying and the tutorial before shows how you should proceed, I landed well and a respectable score. The lady was not an MSFS employee so I just enjoyed the scenery and landing, the Robin 400 is good to fly also.

Finally I was with the MSFS guys and had a good chat (took off and performed touch and go's at Renton whilst talking), guys these guys are serious about giving us what we have wanted. His words were that the amount of partnerships they have planned and he wasn't just talking developers is huge!!!! We have to think out of the box guys, partnerships is not just developers believe me. They know the bugs and are working on them but it isn't in Alpha yet they are just waiting final approval. ATC is coming,live traffic, real test pilots from the manufacturer of the plane you are flying have validated the flight models. 

Guys this is all huge stuff, I was not disappointed at all in my experience and the sounds, visuals and flight modelling and the very fact they don't want you to spend loads of money out of the box for something that should be in the sim just speaks volumes, the passion and commitment to the flight simulator is very positive!

Lets support this guys, apart from not being able to fly over my house it was epic!

Blessings

Duncan Odgers

• Like 48
  • Upvote 14

Wow - omg - Awesome Review and Insight.

Super excited about this new platform.  My jaw dropped when I saw the new trailer.  Blows all the old sims off the water in terms of graphics.  That part is sure.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

They have the tools today and resources to make a sim that vastly jumps away from what we have now. I feel they know that and have made it their mission to deliver the best of what we have been following the path on to someday get. Their open lines to the community speaks volumes as they are building a trust bond with us. Its refreshing to have all of this and to hear feedback from so many outsiders who know what the community is looking for based on what we have now.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Duncan Odgers said:

The 747 will be very close to the real thing, they don't see a difference between default and study level again from the horses mouth. They have kicked off the partnership series with aircraft manufacturers and they are using certified drawings, test pilots from the manufacturer everything!!

This sounds very bad for PMDG and others. I wonder how they're going to justify the $140 price tag on their 737 knowing that it seems more and more like we are going to have at least 3 jets (citation, A320, 747) which will be close to study level from the base sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

You're doing God's work my friend, thanks so much for this. Can you confirm Asobo are doing all the work on the default planes themselves?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us, Duncan ! What kind of PC were you flying on ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

49 minutes ago, cepact said:

This sounds very bad for PMDG and others. I wonder how they're going to justify the $140 price tag on their 737 knowing that it seems more and more like we are going to have at least 3 jets (citation, A320, 747) which will be close to study level from the base sim.

Not necessarily.  I don't believe it is reasonable that MS/AS are going to develop every conceivable aircraft to study-level complexity.  No doubt there will be plenty of room for the 3PDs.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Excellent review, Duncan!  The more and more we learn the better this is all beginning to sound.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Just now, dmiannay said:

Not necessarily.  I don't believe it is reasonable the MS/AS are going to develop every conceivable aircraft to study-level complexity.  No doubt there will be plenty of room for the 3PDs.

Yes there will always be room, the problem is the price. Why would anyone pay $140 for a default quality aircraft ? Because yes it seems like the default quality will be more like pmdg/fslabs quality, the bar has been raised substantially.

So if they really raised the bar that much, PMDG will be in big trouble with their recent deal/promise. No one will pay $140, they will have to sell it at very low prices, so the people who bought the NGXu would have paid more for nothing, there are going to be a lot of upset customers when they'll announce NG3 for less than $50

13 minutes ago, cepact said:

If you think that they’re going to sell this sim full of study level aircraft at the usual $60 or $70 level, probably not. If that’s going to be the case, expect a much higher price tag.

• Like 2

NAX669.png

4 minutes ago, cepact said:

Yes there will always be room, the problem is the price. Why would anyone pay $140 for a default quality aircraft ? Because yes it seems like the default quality will be more like pmdg/fslabs quality, the bar has been raised substantially.

So if they really raised the bar that much, PMDG will be in big trouble with their recent deal/promise. No one will pay $140, they will have to sell it at very low prices, so the people who bought the NGXu would have paid more for nothing, there are going to be a lot of upset customers when they'll announce NG3 for less than $50

My sense from all that we've heard is the level of detail MS/AS provide may be greater than FSX default aircraft, but I sort of doubt they will deliver PMDG/FSL quality out of the box.  This franchise has always celebrated an open 3PD community where the boundaries can be stretched and complexity explored.  I still think what PMDG/FSL do will have great value for MSFS, but I'm just guessing.  In any event, we're all likely to be very pleased with the direction this is all headed.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Upvote 3

Doug Miannay

ATC, AI, Live Traffic, high-level default aircraft. if they deliver, it won't be   a game changer, it will be an earthquake :laugh: !

Edited by domkle
  • Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

... and it's great that ATC is in the works.

Indeed!

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

44 minutes ago, cepact said:

I wonder how they're going to justify the $140 price tag

the market dictates the price

Edit: and beside this i really hope for ALOT freeware Airplanes too!

Edited by Nedo68
edit
  • Like 4