Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Can't generate Fs9 excitement anymore!

Oh, I knew it would happen. I still occasionally fly FS9 (about 3 times a week), but the inevitable has happened. I just knew it would. All my attention is now on FSX. My new computer is ordered, but is not expected to arrive until October 28th. My reserve copy of FSX has been ordered with a deposit at Electronics Boutique.....due on the 17th.I keep flying from Juliana more than I ever thought I would. I'm really getting to know that part of the world. I'm beginning to "dread" the time limitation on FSX Demo. Just as I'm beginning my Final on some previously unknown (to me) island, I run out of time....and curse the moment. I've tweaked and re-tweaked the Demo and I'm at least thankful I have that.I read about new aircraft models, and scenery coming out for FS9 every day, and will not buy them UNLESS the developer PROMISES that it will be a free upgrade for FSX. That's the way I feel now, and I remember the feeling just before FS2004 came out. I felt the same way.I look forward to simply saying..."OK....FS2004 has been very good to me, and I've spent a lot of money on it over the last few years, but it's time to say, 'Good-bye', do a massive DELETE and move on. Such is life!" It's hard for others in my family to know exactly how I feel about this addictive simulation (IT'S NOT A GAME!), but it's such an important part of my life.Like life, I look forward to the future!

Just curious...why did you order a new computer now for? If you want the full benefits of FSX, your going to have to wipe everything you load onto it including FSX and your addons to install Vista next year so you can use DX10 and then buy a DX10 card. Thats why I am waiting..waste of time to upgrade now.

Eric 

Poor Stan. :( I have FS9 flights planned to take me well into next year! :)

I guess I just wanted to do it. I do believe that an "upgrade" to Vista will not wipe out your programs. If I recall correctly, I've upgraded Windows versions in the past, and programs were preserved for the most part.Additionally, I don't plan to embellish FSX all that much until Vista comes out next year. I'm going to try to be content with the program as is. Perhaps I'll add a few free planes and such, but nothing monumental.I also fully expect to sell my Nivida 7950 (dual card) with 1gig of video memory and simply buy a new card when DX10 comes out. Everything else on the new computer can stay....including the powerful processor (Intel Duo-Processor, E6700,2.66 ghz, 4gigs Ram)and be ready for the Vista experience. I just look forward to a great FSX experience from the "get-go", and don't wish to look back.Hope that answers your querie.

>Poor Stan. :( I have FS9 flights planned to take me well into>next year! :)>

>regards>>EdSame here. The trick to enjoying FS9 is to not overdo it. Did two short flights yesterday, using the new Portland scenery. FS9 can't get any better than that, plus there is still stuff coming out and in the pipeline. Some people take this game way too seriously. ricardoP.S. He Ed, you messed up my fonts! :-lol

Hi,I'm in the other camp. Having seen FSX on a fast machine with good quality graphics card on the Microsoft stand at the AvSim conference I was not hugely impressed with the performance. This wasn't helped by running it at 1920*1200 on a 24" display however nice it made the sim look.And this was with a default install. Consider the performance once 3rd party airports are added and other visual enhancements.And then there is the problem of DX10 cards and the Vista OS to consider. It's never been a worse time to have to make hardware decisions which is why I'm holding off for a few months.Yes, I'll install FSX when I receive my copy from AvSim (thanks!) but it will run on my P4 / 9800 Pro until such time as I can buy a computer with DX10 card that will do it justice. And if that means waiting until next spring or summer then so be it.With Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain and FS Global my FS9 install looks anything but dated and I look forward to many more enjoyable flights.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Same here Ray. Stan, Vista is a whole new OS so a reformat (and everything u installed is gone and will need to be reinstalled) of the computer is necessary.

Eric 

Oh..Oh! I guess a lot of us will be in that "boat"...if we want to fly FSX in 2006.

Guest Kiwi75

Patience is a virtue. Right now I'm enjoying fully FS9 with addons. Why spend a fortune on a new system and a new OS when we still have no feedback on FSX ???I'm too an FS enthousiast since FS4 and I've always been looking forward to the new version. However this time the requirements are too many just for some extra fancy graphics. Eventually I will upgrade to FSX but only when the new CPUs and GPUs are cheaper which means probably one extra year. I'm fine with that.

Your new PC may not support dx10. The power supply may need upgrading so thats why I am waiting - and for quad core too.