Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Upgrading GPU and HDD for P3D...?

How much of a performance increase, regarding texture loading and FPS smoothness can I reasonably achieve if I upgrade my non SSD HDD to an SSD and my 1080 GPU to a 2080ti GPU on an i7 6700 @ 4.5...?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

Get as big an SSD as you are willing to budget for and get off your HDD..

Samsung 860evo prices have come down a lot..

You will be very happy :smile:

As for the GPU.. you have a great video card.. keep it!

Bert

23 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Get as big an SSD as you are willing to budget for and get off your HDD..

Samsung 860evo prices have come down a lot..

You will be very happy :smile:

As for the GPU.. you have a great video card.. keep it!

Copy.

Looking for a 2tb...

Although my 1080 is only 8gb of ram.  Would you recommend the 11gb 2080ti card?

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Copy.

Looking for a 2tb...

Although my 1080 is only 8gb of ram.  Would you recommend the 11gb 2080ti card?

Nope..  I would save my money..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nope..  I would save my money..

Agree.  The price difference isn't worth it...maybe unless you're at 4k.  Or VR.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The HDD upgrade to an SSD will really only speed up your load times. You hear people mention faster loading of textures etc, but there's no real concrete proof of that. Either way you look at it though, the sim on an SSD is a must have and a good investment.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

The HDD upgrade to an SSD will really only speed up your load times. You hear people mention faster loading of textures etc, but there's no real concrete proof of that. Either way you look at it though, the sim on an SSD is a must have and a good investment.

Ok.  I already have my windows installed on my 512 gb SDD but did not have enough room to add P3D and the associated Orbx scenery files.

My P3D is currently installed on my 2tb physical HDD.

Can I add another SSD and mirror it to my HDD (w P3D) and just swap the HD letters?

Would P3D still work this way or is it better to completely reinstall on a new SSD (as much as I don’t want to do the dance again...)?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

You can copy the P3D files off the HDD, onto a new 1 TB SSD, if you like and add that to your system.  Keep the 2 TB HDD for data..

You can also split the Orbx files across multiple drives if that works better for you..

You never said that you were using an SSD as your C drive, so you already get most of the benefit.. :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

17 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can copy the P3D files off the HDD, onto a new 1 TB SSD, if you like and add that to your system.  Keep the 2 TB HDD for data..

You can also split the Orbx files across multiple drives if that works better for you..

You never said that you were using an SSD as your C drive, so you already get most of the benefit.. :wink:

Yes, 512 SSD as my C drive with windows installed on same. 😉

Chris Camp

17 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Yes, 512 SSD as my C drive with windows installed on same. 😉

Good start..

I have a 256GB SSD for Windows, and two for P3D and Orbx + a 1 TB HDD for data. Works nicely.

If I were to start from scratch, I would likely double all of them in size :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert