Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Orbx - TrueEarth NorCal - Released!

40 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

How is performance?

That's the big question, for a region traditionally "heavy" in terms of FPS. Waiting to see if they'll release it for P3Dv4, but performance is my main concern anyway.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Just finished installing and headed off in the Just flight tomahawk , it took all morning.

What a disappointment... I flew over Alcatraz and there was no sign of Clint Eastwood and ‘Wolf” in the exercise yard. Apart from that oversight I’m almost at a loss for words.

I have never before seen so many objects drawn at once in a simulation, literally thousands of buildings in the city of San Francisco, bridges,cars, tower blocks, I wouldn’t have thought this level of detail possible Had I not just seen it. The 3D  depth created is just staggering. 

I have no performance issues at all in 2D, amazing, but just had to jump into VR as I simply couldn’t resist it.Again everything remains smooth.

Having just flown in VR  along the San Fran shoreline over the Embarcadero and Bay Bridge at 1,000ft and 80kts in the tomahawk I’d say the price I just paid for the scenery has been repaid in that short experience alone.

This is like flight unlimited 2 , but real !

I used to fly my real world jet in and out of SFO on a regular basis and before all the fun got sucked out of things we used to request a ‘Bay Departure ‘ from  ATC on a departure back to London. This clearance was basically to visually follow the coast North after takeoff from 28 KSFO , and fly over the Golden Gate Bridge into the bay while remaining below 3,000ft, an amazing experience. I miss doing that but this scenery will do an absolutely amazing job of recapturing the experience.

Wow, amazing stuff, highly recommend and worth the entrance price just for the Bay Area itself in my opinion, never mind the rest of the area to explore.

I’m left with a hankering for a glass of anchor steam beer now !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Downloading now...and BTW,  my Dell 2012 XPS only can have 12 GB's of System Ram on the OEM motherboard.  That stated, I have all of the other T.E. series, and they run just fine...at 30 FPS to boot!  So, don't be put off, if you see they recommend 16 GB's of System RAM.  Yes, is would be nice to have...but I have had no problem with only a max of 12 GB.  FYI.

Post Edit, BTW, about the cost of the product....$70.00...I wonder what it would cost me, to contract a Video Studio, to perhaps create for me, custom....the product that is Orbx North Cali HD?  The finished and shipped-to-me product...what...$100,000.00 or even more?  I haven't even a clue...but at least I know ONE THING....it wouldn't be $70.00!  That would get me the first 3 minutes with their client consulting department...lol!

Price asked for?   Pffffft....half-way through the installation process....(large smile)!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

12 hours ago, jon b said:

Just finished installing and headed off in the Just flight tomahawk , it took all morning.

What a disappointment...

Thanks, I'll hold off with it for a while.

I have now doubt that this is a piece of work but my on again off again moratorium on buying FS addons is in the hard on position right now. So I reluctantly pass on this one unless ORBX has a 50% off Black Friday sale that includes this scenery and we all now hell will freeze over first.😁

Edited by Avidean

4 hours ago, Avidean said:

I have now doubt that this is a piece of work but my on again off again moratorium on buying FS addons is in the hard on position right now. So I reluctantly pass on this one unless ORBX has a 50% off Black Friday sale that includes this scenery and we all now hell will freeze over first.😁

When you are ready, the content and quality of visuals...is worth the full asking price.

I'm on a XP hiatus for the remainder of the year, but my plan is to hop back in once SoCal is released, then running NorCal, SoCal, maybe a new X-Enviro version (1.13 has just been released and the next update is announced to be a major version). Combined with the then hopefully released WT3 update, I think FS2020 won't be able to touch the fidelity of California in X-Plane 11.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

12 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Are you being sarcastic?

Edited by Arklight1

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

3 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

How much HD space is needed for the SD installation?

Just asked at the FTX forums and the answer is 54gig. Not bad at all.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Dirk98 said:

You know the first part of his reply was a joke right?

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

You know the first part of his reply was a joke right?

I hope so. 

Just to clarify as I was the one making the “joke” if you can call it that.

This scenery is simply stunning, I’ve never seen anything as good as this before and it’s a fantastic purchase, highly recommend.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.