Sign in to follow this  
Guest Langeveldt

Turn that Autogen OFF!

Guest Langeveldt

Hi thereJust my two cents, but at the moment I've got an extrely mediocre system, but have been pleasantly surprised at FSX's demo performance WITH AUTOGEN OFF!It seems that this frame rate hog is ruining the ride for some people, but I've defragmented my system twice, got rid of pretty much all non game related clutter, and have been experiencing 20FPS with all sliders set to the right (Except AI Traffic, Water FX and Cloud distance)With Autogen on, I'm stuttering around at 4-5FPS, not acceptable really, but the terrain looks so good you may as well not have autogen in the first place..AMD Athlon 1700+ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128MB512MB RamRegardsRichard

Thanks for the tip, but that is not an option with me. The denser autogen is a main selling point for me with FSX. Hopefully I won't have to compromise to much till I upgrade when vista/DX10 are out. I can get good performance and grteat visuals in the demo (1st one), so hopefully the retail will be a bit better.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

I'm inclined to compromise. My rig is only a couple of years old, and I like to see a fair bit of autogen (I really like the forests), but I've set the target frame rate to 15 FPS. It drops into the single figures, particularly during T/O and landing, but it only makes me more determined to upgrade to a DX10 rig sometime next year.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

>>I would imagine autogen and clouds performance will improve>once someone releases a lower res version.>>>Mark.Actually in the demo I have noticed better performance in real weather than in FS9. Once Active Sky gets updated, we should be styling!Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Yup.. without autogens. I'd prefer photo scenery of FS09.I wish there were two autogens.. 1. for Trees and 2. for Buildings.I want the Autogen for trees but I don't care for Building autogens.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Active sky works with FSX without any update.Just download the FSUIPC Beta for FSX and put it in the module folder.Ofcourse, this does not apply for the Demo.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Richard, Where do you have your water slider set? I found that if at the far right setting it also has a tremendous impact on framerates. Craig

I agree...I don't use autogen, I seldom use ground/water details, and I only use the most basic clouds...it's a small price to pay for smooth performance. I figure the extra capacity I get can be used to run my addons. But, I

Guest Langeveldt

>> Richard,>> Where do you have your water slider set? I found that if at>the> far right setting it also has a tremendous impact on>framerates.>> CraigI have it set to the 1X (Low).. I find having it on the far right doesn't cripple my system, but it does cause the terrain to upload more slowly and i hate flying over blurries..I'm still getting an upgrade though, I have a feeling the AI traffic will bring my processor to its kneesPPL - Algoa Flying Club (Port Elizabeth, South Africa)FS5, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX user :)