Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Morphing and popping

Don´t think it has something to do with ESP engine at all. If you use Google earth you´ll get the same morphing you can see in MSFS2020 videos. I´m more worried about speed of the plane used, because when you land with a jet it can be a morphing feast somehow.

cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

3 minutes ago, chass32 said:

Don´t think it has something to do with ESP engine at all. If you use Google earth you´ll get the same morphing you can see in MSFS2020 videos. I´m more worried about speed of the plane used, because when you land with a jet it can be a morphing feast somehow.

cheers

Carlos

According to my experience, it is much dependent on mesh resolution in mountains in Prepar3d. When I used Pilot's high-resolution Ultra Mesh the continuous morphing in mountains was that terrible that I finally uninstalled it, so the 80 € were for the birds. 

This is Prepar3d. There may be the same or other causes in MFS. Or, the same base issues showing just another way.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

16 minutes ago, chass32 said:

Don´t think it has something to do with ESP engine at all. If you use Google earth you´ll get the same morphing you can see in MSFS2020 videos

Again, this doesn't happen with e.g. Aerofly FS2 and x-plane, don't know what Google Earth has to do with a flighsim. 

I'm looking into my crystal! Ah the mists are clearing. I see history repeating itself. I see another Microsoft Flight fiasco in the not to distant future.🤣

2 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Again, this doesn't happen with e.g. Aerofly FS2 and x-plane, don't know what Google Earth has to do with a flighsim. 

Google Earth is streaming in texture data in a similar way as the sim so... It actually has very much to do with flightsim.

Edited by FlyerNYC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FDEdev said:

Because it's a photogrammetry issue... those morphing and popping issues are not happening outside the photogrammetry areas. 

Something they will have to tweak, if possible.  

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Just now, FlyerNYC said:

Google Earth is streaming in texture data in a similar way as the sim so... It actually has pretty much to do with flightsim.

No, since the requirements for a flightsim are completely different.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pmb said:

According to my experience, it is much dependent on mesh resolution in mountains in Prepar3d. When I used Pilot's high-resolution Ultra Mesh the continuous morphing in mountains was that terrible that I finally uninstalled it, so the 80 € were for the birds. 

This is Prepar3d. There may be the same or other causes in MFS. Or, the same base issues showing just another way.

Kind regards, Michael

The relief morphing  seems indeed very much related to high def meshes in P3D, 19 m and below. But the popping is another matter.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

38 minutes ago, pmb said:

Same here 😉

Actually I haven't noticed the mesh popping in mountains so far in the MSFS clips (but maybe I just missed it). It was most striking for me with the buildings and the ground texture.

Edited by RALF9636

3 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Same here 😉

Actually I haven't noticed the mesh popping in mountains so far in the MSFS clips (but maybe I just missed it). It was most striking for me with the buildings and the ground texture.

Indeed. But isn't photogrammetry scenery similar to a very high-definition mesh? Just thinking.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I think it is an issue that they will be aware of but it is good to let them know it should be a priority as far as visuals are concerned.

The thing is we don't know what is causing it, it could be a combination of things.

I am assuming it is not easy to solve or they would have done it already or possibly it could be that we are just seeing some unoptimised areas on the videos as some areas seem far worse affected than others.

Certainly it would be a great shame to have photorealistic scenery that really immerses the user only to have that destroyed by constant popping.

For now it is enough Asobo know it is an issue we would like to see ironed out and no doubt we will hear more about it as alpha builds progress.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pmb said:

Indeed. But isn't photogrammetry scenery similar to a very high-definition mesh? Just thinking.

Probably.

By the way I am not too impressed so far by the mesh resolution in mountaineous areas we've seen, but that would be a different topic. Nevertheless the less detailed the mesh resolution the less mesh popping of course.

Edited by RALF9636

2 hours ago, 238932 said:

Caching has nothing to do with this, its  a LOD issue. If you were to render every trees 100km around with a high level of detail you would need an unpractical  amount of memory and graphics power to store the data and render it. It just can't be done with current computers. All you can hope for is a smooth transition between different levels of detail.

"Smooth transition" yes, but the point is that it shouldn't be a noticeable transition, or it breaks immersion.

This isn't a problem that can't be solved, because pop-in and texture morphing doesn't happen in X-Plane and other sims. The outside world loads smoothly and realistically with no artifacts. Just a very slow fade-in of distant details that happens before you notice anything. I don't have Aerofly FS2 but apparently it's not an issue there either.

I'm not too worried yet about the new MSFS because we're a long way from final optimization. The devs do need to understand that this isn't acceptable in a modern flight sim, no matter how sexy the eye candy looks when it finally pops in. So this is a good thread to express those concerns.

1 hour ago, domkle said:

Is it a question of processing power or RAM/VRAM capacity ? In any case, this is a reason why I think it is too early to think of specs for a new hardware.

I'm not a programmer but I'll make a wild guess anyway that it's related to amount of system RAM. The devs can't assume that everyone is using an ultra-high-speed SSD, so scenery you're flying into would be cached in RAM and faded in before you see it.

Maybe they're testing a lower minimum RAM spec that can't hold enough cached data? There really isn't an excuse for this kind of artifact if the minimum system RAM spec is at least 8 GB like XP11, or maybe 16 GB for 4K resolution. I hope they're not shooting for a minimum required spec of just 4 GB like P3D. 

44 minutes ago, FlyerNYC said:

Google Earth is streaming in texture data in a similar way as the sim so... It actually has very much to do with flightsim.

I wouldn't draw any direct comparisons with Google Earth because it doesn't do much pre-fetch and caching for areas with photogrammetry data for 3D buildings. It seems more limited by connection speed. On my previous connection speed of 10 Mbps it could take almost a minute for textures to fill in when viewing a dense urban area like downtown Seattle or Osaka. I recently upgraded to a wired 250 Mbps connection and the textures now load much faster in Google Earth, almost invisibly in some cases.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I haven't noticed the terrain mesh morphing. I definitely have seen the popping of objects at their LOD levels. This can be solved by either of 2 things. First, do not use LODs in models (not very good as memory requirements for objects skyrockets). Second, fade object LODs in and out simultaneously using an algorithm that does not have them fading at the exact same distance. They will still morph, but it should be much less noticeable.