Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Morphing and popping

7 minutes ago, rhumbaflappy said:

Second, fade object LODs in and out simultaneously using an algorithm that does not have them fading at the exact same distance. They will still morph, but it should be much less noticeable. 

Not sure if this will work with photogrammetry "objects". As far as I understand these are just one single huge multiply-curved object. It might certainly work with Azure-AI-generated objects, but the observed issues were mostly with the first ones.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Like the others, I too think this morphing/popping issue should be the number one priority to tackle for release.

Does it only happen in photogrammetry areas? Or is it also there in non-photogrammetry scenery?

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

c'mon i would still preffer FS2020 popping instead the popping we have today 😂

Edited by Nedo68
  • Like 7

You only notice it when you are paying attention to it. If you are concentrating on flying an airliner at takeoff (where you are at a really low height) it won't be a problem. Only for VFR flights it could be a problem.

34 minutes ago, FlyerNYC said:

You only notice it when you are paying attention to it. If you are concentrating on flying an airliner at takeoff (where you are at a really low height) it won't be a problem. Only for VFR flights it could be a problem.

Right indeed. Bad for us VFR-only flyers, though.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

39 minutes ago, FlyerNYC said:

when you are flying an airliner at take-off the noose is high you don't see much. During the approach phase, on the othe hand, you see a lot more and tree popping à la FSX at the LOD limit and hidef mesh morphing are as much of a scourge as for a GA aircraft. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, domkle said:

when you are flying an airliner at take-off the noose is high you don't see much. During the approach phase, on the othe hand, you see a lot more and tree popping à la FSX at the LOD limit and hidef mesh morphing are as much of a scourge as for a GA aircraft. 

Indeed, it can be very disturbing when approaching with a jet airliner in P3D. Sometimes even the runway threshold itself moves its height when on final approach. An extreme example is Orbx' PAKT.

Edited by RALF9636

19 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Indeed, it can be very disturbing when approaching with a jet airliner in P3D. Sometimes even the runway threshold itself moves its height when on final approach. An extreme example is Orbx' PAKT.

Orbx PAKT is very special in the sense that, if my memory serves me well, they made sort of a 3d model for the hill to have the airport two levels. AI can't taxi in PAKT and you need  to enter using the specified entry points.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, domkle said:

Orbx PAKT is very special in the sense that, if my memory serves me well, they made sort of a 3d model for the hill to have the airport two levels. AI can't taxi in PAKT and you need  to enter using the specified entry points.

That is correct. And that 3D model moves upwards with the mesh popping on final approach.

I'd be interested in seeing the same 9 locations video but all from the VCR and not 3rd person. I have a feeling that's twice more to have to process into view and in doing so we see more of it than we should if one flys the plane from inside. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

c'mon i would still preffer FS2020 popping instead the popping we have today 😂

Xplane barely has any pop in, far less than some of that I have seen in FS2020. 

I don't think some people recognise the extent of the problem perhaps they haven't watched some the videos where the scenery is constantly popping and morphing?

Look at the ground scenery in the video below, how can you can anyone say that is less pop in than Xplane (unless you run Xplane on a potato I guess?)

I think getting 6 upvotes will only mislead the devs into believing it isn't an issue.

Yes it is pre-alpha but it is something that needs attention and to be greatly improved so as not to distract from the otherwise stunning visuals. How can you have immersion with scenery constantly popping and morphing?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mucker said:

I think getting 6 upvotes will only mislead the devs into believing it isn't an issue.

Asobo is not blind I am 100% sure they know what they do, don't take my statement too seriously, i still stand behind what i said, i would preffer this popping to anything we have right now, it still looks lightyears better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mucker said:

Xplane barely has any pop in, far less than some of that I have seen in FS2020. 

I don't think some people recognise the extent of the problem perhaps they haven't watched some the videos where the scenery is constantly popping and morphing?

Look at the ground scenery in the video below, how can you can anyone say that is less pop in than Xplane (unless you run Xplane on a potato I guess?)

Yes it is pre-alpha but it is something that needs attention and to be greatly improved so as not to distract from the otherwise stunning visuals. How can you have immersion with scenery constantly popping and morphing?

He was just kidding - at least that's how I understood it. In a sense of "when we have to live with popping textures, then rather in MSFS' graphics than in P3D's graphics". And he received the upvotes for his humor.

Apart from that, I totally agree with what you said.

Edited by RALF9636

41 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Asobo is not blind I am 100% sure they know what they do, don't take my statement too seriously, i still stand behind what i said, i would preffer this popping to anything we have right now, it still looks lightyears better.

Fair enough, maybe I was too serious.

I just don't want the issue to be seen as low priority because the devs believe people are relatively happy with it because it is still "better" than what we have now.

• Like 1

Right now I'm more concerned with draw distance, but morphing is certainly something that needs to be rectified before release.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.