Sign in to follow this  
DWadsworth

P3DV4.5.13 Silent CTD

Starting in the last two months I have been unable to complete a flight in any aircraft: PMDG NGXu, FSL A3xx, and CRJ. 

Every flight results in a silent CTD sometime during the flight (so far never on the ground), where P3D stops showing a wait icon and then disappears.  In each case, I get the same appcrash report: 
"Stopped Working, 
0xc0020001 exception in KERNELBASE.dll, 
The string binding is invalid." 

Event viewer shows the same event, different format.

I completely rebuilt the system.  All disks departitioned, fresh OS and P3D installations.  

CPU and video card not OCed.  Memory slowed from ratings.  System specs in signature. System adequately cooled and stress tested.

I have seen several others report seeing this error recently both in sim world and other areas.  So it seems to be a OS related error.

I have followed the CTD guidance both from here and AvSim.

Any suggestions accepted.  Very frustrated at not being able to run P3D.

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

Do you have any Carenado aircraft installed, and does this occur while flying on VATSIM?

Also, please download AppCrashView, run it, and it will show you all yoru P3D CTDs. Click (or maybe double click) on a P3D Crash and it will bring up a smaller window which will show you the Faulty Module. Let us know what that is?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks, Dave.

No Carendo and no VATSIM.

The faulty module was Prepar3d.exe.

Dave Wadsworth

3 minutes ago, DWadsworth said:

Thanks, Dave.

No Carendo and no VATSIM.

The faulty module was Prepar3d.exe.

Ah, okay Dave.

First, let's be sure that Prepar3d.exe was called out as the Faulty MODULE and not the Faulty Application (or "Process")?

Then we'll go from there my friend.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

8 hours ago, DWadsworth said:

Every flight results in a silent CTD sometime during the flight (so far never on the ground), where P3D stops showing a wait icon and then disappears.  In each case, I get the same appcrash report: 
"Stopped Working, 
0xc0020001 exception in KERNELBASE.dll, 
The string binding is invalid." 

The kernelbase.dll crash is usually caused by conflicts or incompatibility with another add-on.  Microsoft Windows throws it when this happens.  I just learned from another member that he was getting the kernelbase.dll CTD as well as others when using the PMDG 737NGXu.  Kyle, at PMDG, suggested downloading the latest MakeRwy's from the FSUIPC site and placing it in the main folder of Prepar3Dv4.  To use MakeRwy in P3DV4, you need to open Lorby_Si's Addon Organizer and go to the Backup/Restore tab and click on "Export library for external tool".  Click on "Export library to scenery.cfg".  Once completed, go to the folder Prepar3Dv4 and look for MakeRwy's.  Double-click and it will verify all the runways found on your computer.  Once completed go back to the Lorby_Si utility and click on "Recover Original Scenery.cfg".  See if this fixes your problem.

If that does not fix the problem, then recommend you go to page 10, AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature) and complete the steps on how to fix all CTD's/Freezes in P3DV4.  This will bring you back to your default configuration and should fix your issue as it is most likely an incompatible add-on and you need to find which add-on.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thank you very much.  I removed the last major add-on, FSL A32X, and the problem seems to have gone away.  I noticed that FSL leaves an active add-on even when not flying the A320!  

I appreciate both your and Kyle's insights.

Dave Wadsworth